Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elliptical - How long did you last your first time? lol

I have started working out on my Elliptical. We are supposed to be getting 30 minutes of exercise daily (I have been walking). However with the elliptical, well it's pretty obvious in less than 30 seconds that it has been 20+ years since I have actually "worked out". LOL. I was following the training settings on mine and their recommendation is to start with 20 minutes the first time, and do that for 5 days and then the following week go for 25 minutes.. and keep increasing over the weeks until you reach 40 minutes.

Well I have everything I can do to even get through 1 song on my playlist. LOL I'm assuming I should just start there and go? 5 minutes this week and try for 7 or 10 minutes per time the following week?

So there is my confession and someday my inspiring starting point: "The first time I got on my elliptical, I couldn't even finish the first song on my playlist".

I started walking a few miles outside first post-op. I was already down about 40lbs (25 pre-op, 15 post-op) before I started on the elliptical. I first went as long as I could. I hit 10 minutes and that seemed hard. I stuck with that for a week, then I hit 15. By the end of the second week I was at 20. I am at 20 now still, 3 weeks later. It will take some time. Everyone is different so just go at your pace. I have been following this one rule when working out. Take yourself as far and as hard as you are comfortable with. If you start feeling light headed, shortness of breath, like really struggling to breath, slow down to a walk and then get off the machine. You seem to be dropping weight very well based on your signature tracker. Keep it up, you'll be cruising 20 minutes in no time. Stay focused and best of luck.

if you are not used the elliptical - yes its CRAZY hard. couple of things helped me.

Day 1 - started with 5 minutes (I like your plan). Also - focus on your legs only. forget the arms when you are starting. And keep a good pace - like 90 strides per minute. Once you can do the legs for 5 minutes at a steady pace then start adding minutes. then start adding arms. Then add resistance....

Make sense???

Before you know it... 60 min on that machine (and I watch a TV show when I am on it) will be nothing....

The elliptical has long been my favorite machine. I started out on a stationary bike, but my gym eventually switched them all to recumbent ones and I hate those. So I was already used to doing cardio workouts. I tried the rowing machine for a while, but we never clicked. The first time I tried the elliptical I didn't care for how little up and down motion it had, but the sweat that poured outta me convinced me to continue using it. I started on 20 minutes and stayed there for years. I only had so much time at lunch away from work.

But now that I have a more flexible schedule, I routinely do 30-45 minutes on level 8. I just sign into the gym wifi and stream a Netflix show. I get lost watching that and before I know it the show is over and I have a 150 bpm heartrate. Just keep at it.

I was like you at first. I could barely do a minute. Like the poster above said, I started a Couch 25K program 9 months ago, and that REALLY built my tolerance up. Now I can run 3 miles on the treadmill, and probably can go 4 on the elliptical if I wanted. You gotta start slow and build up tolerance. Just takes consistency and time :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches