Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This diet seems like BS and I am pouting

Okay, so I'm only 5 days post-op and I'm at the point where my body is literally starting to eat itself...I am starving, NOTHING helps (and sometimes makes it worse), and I am cranky and mad at the world. Looking at the diet instructions my doctor's office gave me...I think some of this is total bull. No Pasta or bread for SIX MONTHS??? I haven't seen that anywhere else. I am frustrated because a friend of mine had the same surgery 2 months ago with another doctor and she's been allowed to experiment a whole lot more than this plan says I can. The thing is, they give this same sheet to all patients...meaning the bypass patients are given the same instructions as the sleeve patients. And that just makes no sense. My body is not bypassing the gall bladder and all that; I can process things better than a bypass patient. I got sleeve rather than bypass for a reason- it is supposed to be much easier to recover from and I can eat a lot more normal and still get all the results. The only thing really different is my stomach is tiny. Right? So why can't I try some things close to one month rather than 3-6??

I'm just complaining, really, but also wanted to know your experiences and thoughts. I see my surgeon tomorrow for my first post-op appointment and I'm going to talk to her about this, because I don't think this diet plan is realistic or fair.

Edited by kimnastics

I'll be the first, but not last to say: Follow the plan your surgeon gave you. Rather than trying to find shortcuts, take the time to follow the directions and change some of your old habits. It doesn't happen in 5 days. Best of luck.

Your body should eat itself, you've got enough fat to feed it. ????

What does your plan say? Are you Clear Liquids or all liquids. How long? How long for purees & soft foods. The liquid phase is challenging for us all. Hang in there. Make sure you aren't experiencing head hunger or acid which can often mask as hunger pains? Do not compare programs. You signed up for this one. If you have questions or concerns talk it over with your nutritionist and try to come up with reasonable workarounds or compromises.

It is critical for both healing and weight loss that you focus on getting on your fluids and Protein. You just had major surgery. Following your surgeon's program is not optional if you want to be healthy.

I agree with the post before me. I'm three in a half months out and still don't eat rice, Pasta and bread. I'm a little scared once I put these thing back into my diet my body going to crave them more often. Plus I've read those types of food could cause your tummy to stretch. That might not be true but not going to take any chances. It's very rough at the beginning but I promise it gets easier the longer you are further out. Some of these thing you are wanting going to be a thing of the pass for you. You are changing your life style. Good luck you can do this !!!!

I'm saying that the plan I was given was for people who had multiple surgeries, so I strongly feel that some of the restrictions do not make any sense for a sleeve patient vs. a bypass patient and I'm going to ask them about it when I go in tomorrow. I understand I have to follow what the doctor said and I'm going to. I'm not going to do anything without talking to her first, as I said. I know I am whining right now, that this is the worst part, and that it doesn't change overnight. I was trying to get insight beyond that information that was already established from people who have already gone through this.

Your body should eat itself, you've got enough fat to feed it.

What does your plan say? Are you clear liquids or all liquids. How long? How long for purees & soft foods. The liquid phase is challenging for us all. Hang in there. Make sure you aren't experiencing head hunger or acid which can often mask as hunger pains? Do not compare programs. You signed up for this one. If you have questions or concerns talk it over with your nutritionist and try to come up with reasonable workarounds or compromises.

Thanks for actually trying to acknowledge what I was asking. I am on the all liquids diet now until next Thursday when I go to purees. The liquids are driving me absolutely crazy. I don't believe I'm experience acidity because I'm on a regular antacid already. It is almost definitely partially head hunger, but my abdomen is rumbling and grumbling and my stomach is doing that squeezing thing it does when you're super hungry, which then also makes me feel nauseous. I just don't feel like I'm getting enough in and all I'm eating is Protein. I figure if I have to eat something, it may as well be protein. If I'm going to drink Water, it may as well be Isopure, for example. I AM following the program, and I want to kill everyone. I just want to know when the real light at the end of the tunnel is, because I do not believe this piece of paper I have is it. I believe that when I talk to my doctor and dietician I will get confirmation of that based on everything I've read and the other patient I talked to, but I was wondering what the forum thought and I'm mostly just getting "shut up and listen to your doctor"...

I'll be the first, but not last to say: Follow the plan your surgeon gave you. Rather than trying to find shortcuts, take the time to follow the directions and change some of your old habits. It doesn't happen in 5 days. Best of luck.

I'm confused about where I said I wasn't going to listen to my doctor. This did not answer my question whatsoever and instead came off as overwhelmingly condescending.

It is critical for both healing and weight loss that you focus on getting on your fluids and Protein. You just had major surgery. Following your surgeon's program is not optional if you want to be healthy.

Totally understood. I never once said I wasn't taking in my fluids or protein and never said I wasn't going to listen to my doctor. In fact, I said I'm talking to my doctor tomorrow. I understand I have to do what they say to be healthy. Please re-read and see if you want to respond again to what I actually asked.

My doctor prescribes appetite suppressants to his patients to get us through the Liquid Phase. Perhaps you can ask your Doc for one of those.

I'm confused about where I said I wasn't going to listen to my doctor. This did not answer my question whatsoever and instead came off as overwhelmingly condescending.

>It is critical for both healing and weight loss that you focus on getting on your fluids and Protein. You just had major surgery. Following your surgeon's program is not optional if you want to be healthy.

Totally understood. I never once said I wasn't taking in my fluids or Protein and never said I wasn't going to listen to my doctor. In fact, I said I'm talking to my doctor tomorrow. I understand I have to do what they say to be healthy. Please re-read and see if you want to respond again to what I actually asked.

Please forgive me. I see you have you all under control. As I said, best of luck to you.

Boy, you are feeling pissy!

;)

I do understand what you're saying. So cross-examine the surgeon tomorrow. Get the answers you need.

BTW, pre-op I took Ranitidine 150 mg. twice a day for GERD. But after surgery, my surgeon prescribed a much stronger antacid -- a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) called Protonix, which I took for about 4 months. It made a LOT of difference in terms of how much hunger I felt during those early months. So also ask the surgeon about giving you a PPI Rx.

Now, go out there try not to hurt anyone before you see the doctor.

My doctor prescribes appetite suppressants to his patients to get us through the liquid Phase. Perhaps you can ask your Doc for one of those.

Thanks! Something like that could help.

Boy, you are feeling pissy!

;)

I do understand what you're saying. So cross-examine the surgeon tomorrow. Get the answers you need.

BTW, pre-op I took Ranitidine 150 mg. twice a day for GERD. But after surgery, my surgeon prescribed a much stronger antacid -- a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) called Protonix, which I took for about 4 months. It made a LOT of difference in terms of how much hunger I felt during those early months. So also ask the surgeon about giving you a PPI Rx.

Now, go out there try not to hurt anyone before you see the doctor.

Yes, I am. I'm also pissy when people are rude and don't read what's written before writing a condescending response. Horrible experience on this forum so far. Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it.

Are you mentally hungry or physically hungry? If it is head hunger, find something to occupy your time. If it is physical hunger, are you taking acid medication?

You aren't going to want to eat bread or Pasta. I mean you can try at some point later on but you are going to find they aren't as delicious or feel as good as they used to. They are likely to sit on your new stomach like a rock and make you miserable. 6 months might seem long, but I am 4 months out, and the time flies.

I am not even sure what you mean by the diet being "fair".

Okay, so I'm only 5 days post-op and I'm at the point where my body is literally starting to eat itself...I am starving, NOTHING helps (and sometimes makes it worse), and I am cranky and mad at the world. Looking at the diet instructions my doctor's office gave me...I think some of this is total bull. No Pasta or bread for SIX MONTHS??? I haven't seen that anywhere else. I am frustrated because a friend of mine had the same surgery 2 months ago with another doctor and she's been allowed to experiment a whole lot more than this plan says I can. The thing is, they give this same sheet to all patients...meaning the bypass patients are given the same instructions as the sleeve patients. And that just makes no sense. My body is not bypassing the gall bladder and all that; I can process things better than a bypass patient. I got sleeve rather than bypass for a reason- it is supposed to be much easier to recover from and I can eat a lot more normal and still get all the results. The only thing really different is my stomach is tiny. Right? So why can't I try some things close to one month rather than 3-6??

I'm just complaining, really, but also wanted to know your experiences and thoughts. I see my surgeon tomorrow for my first post-op appointment and I'm going to talk to her about this, because I don't think this diet plan is realistic or fair.

I agree. You should eat what you want when you want. It's not fair for your doctor, the surgeon you entrusted your life with, to expect you to follow a diet that will help you lose the most weight you can safely, efficiently while allowing your body to heal properly.

This was the easy way out, after all. One should be able to have surgery and *BOOM* lose the weight without the work.

Good luck to you! I am sure you are going to get exactly the right results!

Protip to the OP: This forum could be a big help to you in the coming months. So try not to piss off everybody in your first dozen posts here -- no matter how frustrated you're feeling at the moment. Nobody here actually owes you anything. It's the Internet, remember?