Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Restaurant Dinner Out?

How far along were you when you first ate out at a restaurant?

Where did you go and what did you order?

I'm 3 weeks out (VSG) and cleared for pretty much everything in 4 weeks.

I think I was on soft foods. We went to a Japanese Hibachi restaurant. I drank some of the Soup and ordered shrimp and scallops. I gave my sister my salad and rice and still had a lot of leftovers to take home for several meals.

I was about 3 weeks out and I went to Panera bread. It was the healthier option available. I had broccoli and cheese Soup. Didn't eat the chunks of broccoli.

I was just cleared for more solid foods about 3 weeks out and had a tuna tartare appetizer. That meal, plus subsequent tuna sashimi and carpaccio meals showed me that I could tolerate raw meats and fish far better than cooked! I am still eating exclusively from the appetizer menu!

I was cleared for any food at 4 weeks. I had a birthday at a restaurant and I got an appetizer of seared tuna. My husband had to help me finish it

I've been out to restaurants a few times and I just get an appetizer and I can eat about half of it

When I was cleared for soft foods and ground meat (3 wks post-op), I took my daughter to Applebees. We ordered 10 Thai peanut chicken wings. She ate 9. I dissected 1 and ate the chicken. Then I ate about 1/4 of a burger with no bun. I took the rest home for lunch and dinner the next day. She felt sorry for me not being able to eat alot. I had to explain to her that I feel full and it was wonderful to go out and order something at a restaurant and feel normal. I needed that.

About 4-5 weeks, I think. I had fish and it was heavenly!

3 weeks out and thin Soup, with a teaspoon and I left 95% of it.

The waiters were looking at me as if I was crazy lol

My biggest concern going out was what would be the other people's reaction. How would I explain why I ordered so little and didn't finish it. But I found that people didn't really notice. As long as you have a plate in front of you they're usually too busy with their own food to notice yours

I never cared what anybody thought about how much I did or didn't eat. I think I was 5 or 6 weeks out. Went to ihop, ordered and omelette & got fruit as my side. Probably ate a quarter of the omelette & 1 or 2 bites of fruit. Took the rest home.

I went to a Panera with a couple of work friends at about two months out. I ordered chicken Soup and ate the broth and veggies. I ate around the noodles and never touched the bread that came with it. Wasn't a problem at all.

I was 4 weeks out and had salmon. I had to take it very slow and made sure it was cooked medium rare so it was delicious. I maybe was able to eat an ounce and a half. My son ate the rest.

8 weeks out, a Mexican restaurant, and I had a very bad experience. I took 3 tiny bites of the inside of a quesdilla, and I think it was the 3 tiny sips of a margarita ( and I forgot the "no straws "rule ) that did it, but half came up in the bathroom, and the rest horribly in the parking lot. It was a looong time before i did that again ! A word of advice ? ALWAYS carry a plastic grocery bag or 2 in your purse. Always.