Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where's the "support"?

True indeed! Maybe it's all my fault for not being more selective in my reading.

Amen - when I see something that hits me as "stupid" or " you gotta be kidding me" - I back out of the post and move on to something more interesting without feeling the need to belittle anyone.
I have been away from the forum for quite some time. I found that many people become "weight loss experts and surgery experts" because they have had this surgery. Bottom line is we were all in the same boat. Overweight. Nobody is an expert on this surgery in these forums. All we should be able to share is what our experiences are or were because each person has their own journey both physically and mentally. There are so many different ways we all gained the weight and although we have one thing in common the gastric sleeve we will all have different ways what works for us to lose the weight. I am 14 months post op been maintaining since February. I do what works for me and it might not necessarily work for someone else, I don't like the tough love thing. It's not for me that's why I left the forum in the first place. I thought I would give it another try we will see how it works for me this time.

I understand! It gets toiling to see so much uncalled for drama. Hopefully your time this go round will be a better experience. I have so much less drama with the fb forums. Let me know if you want me to add u to any of them.

Or only certain posts get answered....

I don't sugar coat ANYTHING with regards to ANYONE.

With that said, most of what you or another member may view as "rude" wasn't actually intended to be rude.

When people don't hear what they want to hear (or more like read) they assign a tone of voice to the words.

In their minds they have determined that the replying post was intended to be snarky, un-supportive, rude or mean.

Me personally, if I reply to a post, I am offering my support. When I don't reply it simply means I had nothing to contribute.

I agree with you. We need to stop shaming people because this is a very personal journey for each of us.

I think there's tons of support on this board. I truly do. I give it, and I get it.

There are a lot of people here looking for help and support through what is a challenging adventure. Some of them are sincerely looking for information they didn't get from their surgeons or are confused by some of the goofy information they've read here and elsewhere online.

There are also a few (not many) dimwits who want to know if it's OK to smoke after surgery, eat ice cream during the soft food phase, drink alcohol the first month post-op, and eat potato chips instead of Protein because Protein is so yucky.

I'll readily admit that supporting dimwits is not my superpower.

Therefore, somebody else here needs to pick up the slack and take care of the dimwits.

Thank you.

vsgann, you are my hero!!!

I don't think it's anyone's business to tell another individual what they are doing right or wrong.....

People should come here and share THEIR experiences, good and bad....

If you don't agree with what someone is saying/asking, simply tell them you don't agree with that practice, and tell them why....could be a bad experience, or simply your Dr. does not allow it....

I read things here where self proclaimed experts will tell people if you do such and such, you will die (exaggeration)

And I sit here scratching my head thinking I do what is being condemned, and my Dr. knows it....

and I question where are they getting their (mis) information.....

People read it and repeat it enough, it becomes an accepted fact, based on what? What someone thought? Or heard someone else say?

I'm coming up on 5 years, 110% successful, finished this journey (process) long ago, Blah Blah Blah, and I will NEVER tell anyone if they are doing something right or wrong, or what they should be doing...except go see your Dr., and share what I have found with my own experiences....

I have had the Lap Band surgery, and have no experience with the other procedures on this forum so I keep my mouth shut in that area......yet I read where people with the sleeve, etc, tell people with the Lap Band all the time......

There is an overlapping area only to a certain point.

(PS...I'm here for Ladies only, powder room reading) It's a joke!! (kinda)

While there are exceptions, the pattern I observe that "goes bad" is somebody posts something.....Well...it seems like they are seeking permission or validation for behavior that many believe wont support long term success. They get a few straightforward replies, sometimes too blunt maybe.... the original poster gets annoyed (or even better someone else does on their behalf). Then sometimes the regulars get caught up in the ridiculousness of it all and the thread becomes...off course...and at times unnecessary kidding happens. At that point there really is nothing of value to the original poster.

I don't like this, but I am asking a serious question here...should we all just remain silent while misinformation is shared? It is clear by questions asked that people don't get or maybe don't understand the instructions from their surgeon or nutritionist and actually need or seek rational guidance. We all know this board is full of lurkers who read to "research" and is it better to leave the impression that eating crap in small quantities is a good bariatric program?

I get and genuinely try to give support here.

@@B-52 alot of times I am vague on what procedure a person had or even what forum the post is in if I am using a mobile device since the sites merged. I think most of us attempt to stay to our own experiences but mistakes happen.

@@CowgirlJane

I wouldn't say remain silent when there is misinformation or what you think is misinformation. I say just use a little tact, and be more positive than negative in those times where you see what may be perceived as someone seeking validation for bad behavior. I believe there is a way to do, and more importantly SAY everything.

Think: I don't know why you had this surgery if you're going to eat whatever. You're going to fail. vs. Many people have a moment of weakness sometimes, but more importantly you need to get back on track and back to healthy and clean eating. Maybe meet with your NUT and get some tips.

Same thing. Just a lil less negative and a lil more positive.

@@Awjones28 -- When I saw the title of your topic, I was expecting a message about the fact that, now and then, people who ask for support and help get no responses whatsoever.

@@LipstickLady -- Yup, the ones who ask and then get bent out of shape when they don't like the responses. It's their own fault, y'know. They should have written a few responses with instructions for responders to choose one.

@@CowgirlJane

I wouldn't say remain silent when there is misinformation or what you think is misinformation. I say just use a little tact, and be more positive than negative in those times where you see what may be perceived as someone seeking validation for bad behavior. I believe there is a way to do, and more importantly SAY everything.

Think: I don't know why you had this surgery if you're going to eat whatever. You're going to fail. vs. Many people have a moment of weakness sometimes, but more importantly you need to get back on track and back to healthy and clean eating. Maybe meet with your NUT and get some tips.

See, I knew someone would pick up the slack.

Congratulations -- you got the job. :)

I don't "think" people shouldn't have had the surgery if they have some struggles. I don't say that either. Heck, by the time the surgery happens, it is kind of late to bring that up.

What I do think and say is that once people have the surgery, they are much more likely to have better long term results if they follow their program as closely as possible. None of us are perfect, but it is a sad situation to see people come back a year after making goal with significant regain (I am not talking a little bounce, I mean some people come back regaining a huge portion of their lost weight). I am sure this happens for lots of reasons... but the courageous people who share details often admit it is because they either never really followed the program that closely or they didn't stay with it.

What they learn the hard way is that you have to change habits during that first year or so .... or else maintenance is every HARDER than it is. (For many people, maintenance is harder than losing, especially when you hit about the 3-4 year mark - the stats as well as veteran discussions support this.).

I knoweth from what I speak - I "failed" with my first WLS and I really really don't want anyone to go through the misery and disappointment and frankly lost time when I could have been living a full life and instead spent it twice my healthy weight. I am passionate about this - it is devastating to fail post WLS; it was for me anyway.

@@CowgirlJane

Lol yes I'm usually the stand in for the little ppl. Must be the social work background. ????

...should we all just remain silent while misinformation is shared? It is clear by questions asked that people don't get or maybe don't understand the instructions from their surgeon or nutritionist and actually need or seek rational guidance. We all know this board is full of lurkers who read to "research" and is it better to leave the impression that eating crap in small quantities is a good bariatric program?

Exactly. I cringe when people tell others that they should exit the thread or simply not comment if/when they can't be "supportive" of someone's request for approval regarding their poor choices. My comments aren't *JUST* for the OP, they are for anyone and everyone reading the boards for information.

No, I am not claiming to be an expert on anyone but myself, but I am more than happy to share my knowledge and my experiences with those reading. If one doesn't like what I have to say, they are welcome to skip it, disregard it or dispute it.

My panties may not be as big as they used to be, but they are still big girl panties. ;)

@@Awjones28

How boring would this world be if everyone was the same, all answers were scripted and everyone got a medal every time they played the same beat?

@@CowgirlJane

Lol yes I'm usually the stand in for the little ppl. Must be the social work background.

I'm still not getting the correlation between "standing up for the little people" by condemning and name calling the "other people". :) Must be the middle school teacher in me. ;)

@@LipstickLady

Must be!????