Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Has Joined A Gym Or Do You Work Out At Home?

WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?

• JOINED A GYM
    • WORK OUT AT HOME

Hi patch . . . for the ticker . . . click on the Tickerfactory.com link above any existing ticker and it will take you there . . . then after you build your ticker, copy the "picture" (not the thread) and come back here, go to UserCP at the top of the page and then go to Edit signature . . . (I think I got that right). Good luck.

I've done both working out at home and belong to a gym. I even had my own set of weights and a squat rack. Thought it would be easier to get the workouts in. Instead, I've found that to get circuit training done, I need the gym. Also, even with a treadmill at home, I find it easier to do cardio at the gym. The one I belong to has the greatest room EVER to do cardio in. They call it "Cardio Cinema". They have a HUGE room with all sorts of cardio equipment in it lined up. They darken the room and put a dvd on a projector that goes on a big screen that is about 15' x 8' (guestimate). It's the absolute best. Combines my need for cardio with my love for movies.:pray2:

I have a residents gym in my building but a club H just opened in the ground floor and I took the tour and was sold. They have classes, so much equipment, a sauna and steamroom and a spa! It makes me drag myself there and once I am there, I feel so motivated. I needed to do something to break through a plateau! Its about $100 per month. On a different subject, does anyone know how to edit your ticker? I have lost 10 more pounds since I created it and I cant remember how I did it?

I debated joining a gym, too, but in the end I chose to do so because it's a huge motivator for me. Knowing that I'm paying for it every month with a contract keeps me going. I also chose to join a gym where family/friends go, which can be a blessing or a curse depending on your personality.

Another thing that convinced me to join was the fact that the gym I go to has a lot of amenities that I will be able to enjoy later. Maybe right now I'm just doing cardio and weights, but I know I want to take a kick-boxing class and a spinning class as the weight's shedding off. Plus the gym I go to has a women only room where you can use cardio/weight equipment in private, which is usually empty or only occupied by one other person. It's nice to have the option of going in there if you're having a day where you feel self-conscious or just blah.

On a different subject, does anyone know how to edit your ticker? I have lost 10 more pounds since I created it and I cant remember how I did it?

Just click on your ticker in one of your posts and enter your pin that you used when you created your ticker. Once you edit it on the website, it will automatically be updated in your future posts.

I'm not really much of a gym person these days, much prefer doing my own thing. I walk every day between 50 - 60 mins with the odd day off. I also have a treadmill which I use sometimes but much prefer walking outside. Aqua aerobics classes are starting again this week at a school across the road from me so I will get back into that as well.

If I didnt have the gym I wouldnt be working out. I find too many excuses not to do something. But I go to the gym Directly after work.

It keeps me going.

Hi Monica,

I actually ordered the "HIP HOP ABS" series to give me some variety in my home work out regimen (price for being up at 2am channel surfing lol), its pretty cool w/ dance moves & music and it helps me because of a bad back being on the floor or certain machines in the gym are a bit much and I saved a ton on down payments/monthly payments for the gym. The series actually came with a membership to "Million Dollar Body" support much like here but works for me- Maybe down the line sure but hey I'm in Brooklyn NY where nothing is cheap!

If this questioned has already been addressed, I apologize, I couldnt find the thread.

I posed the question a couple of weeks ago that I needed convinced that I should exercise, and I was convinced. I have been doing some in home walking. My cable station offers a exercise on demand channel with various options. So far I have just done the walking a couple of times a week. I like it but I dont know if in the future I will be working out at a pace the is helpful. So I went to check out the local Victory Fitness Center. I really wasnt that impressed. There is a down payment of 116.00 and than it runs about 20 a month. Its pretty cheap but I was wondering if it was really necessary. So my question is this. Who has just worked out at home on there own, or have you joined a gym? And if you work at at home did you buy equipment?

Hi

I am a newbie and have just joined a gym this Monday, I do own a very powerfull treadmill at home but very rarely use it, I find it so much more easier to get up and go to the gym, it works for me psychologically I guess, I also utilise the pool, sauna & spa there too, I'm having the time of my life and I'm losing more weight than ever before, goodluck, Peta

I am thinking of buying a treadmill for home along with the gym. I am reading fat to fit for women and in there it states for beginners we should be doing excercise thru out the day. Even if it is only 20 minutes at a time. My only problem is I dont have a place to put it. ugg

At my last fill appointment, one of the women there asked our doctor about a good exercise program.

He told us that if he could design the PERFECT workout for LapBand patients it would be Curves.

Then he proceeded to tell us about the program and why it was such a good program for LapBand patients (at least for the first year).

1. In only 30-minutes you’ll workout every major muscle group on hydraulic resistance machines and bodyweight exercises while getting your heart rate into your target zone for maximum cardiovascular benefits. They have about 10 different units. Leg extensions/leg curls, squats, leg press, glut press, biceps curls/triceps extensions, lat pull downs/overhead press, chest press/seated row, a dip/shrug machine, and a seated abdominal machine. (Everyone has 30 minutes to spare for exercising, if they are serious about losing weight).

2. CurvesSmart ID Tag is a new technology that allows members to customized their workouts based on their body structure and endurance. Following the workout, the system produces a progress report on a computer, which allows the member to see, instantly and in quantifiable terms, her strengths and weaknesses, including how many calories were burned off during the session.

3. A small monitor attached to the equipment indicates whether her heart rate is in the target range; whether the member is achieving her target intensity level; the range of motion for each repetition; and the number of repetitions. If the woman is exercising correctly, all indicators on the monitor will be green.

4. You will lose inches and tone up faster without intimidation since all of the women there are seeking positive physical change in a supportive environment. You will not find trainers or people working out there who are power lifters, or in such great physical condition that they make you feel insecure or inadequate.

5. The nature of the hydraulic machines used in the Curves program forces the user to perform concentric (muscle shortening) contractions of the opposing muscle groups. No eccentric (muscle lengthening) muscle action occurs when using these machines so very little muscle soreness is developed.

The problem with the lack of the eccentric muscle actions is that it does not put a lot of stress on the muscle and a muscle not stressed is a muscle that will not change. Because of this, Curves is a great program for an absolute beginner but it is a vehicle that can only bring you so far!

After getting my fill, I went straight to the nearest Curves and joined... and so far, I am loving it! And, they have a special deal (only $10 month) if you have a teenage daughter you would like to workout with. I have found that my teenager is my biggest support system... and we actually have fun working out together. Not only does she encourage me to go, but I am also teaching her to have good exercise habits :smile:

I also found out AFTER joining that if you miss too many days, they will call you and encourage you to come in. Not in a pressuring kind of way, but more in a supporting kind of way :thumbup:

My dr said the same thing but the trainer he sent us to said it was the worst. lol Even in their group they contradict eachother.

I am thinking of buying a treadmill for home along with the gym. I am reading fat to fit for women and in there it states for beginners we should be doing excercise thru out the day. Even if it is only 20 minutes at a time. My only problem is I dont have a place to put it. ugg

Hi there

I had that problem too, when my treadmill was delivered the delivery men had to take my doors off their hinges in order to get the darn thing inside, they removed two doors. However, in answer to your dilemma did you know that you can indeed purchase a treadmill much smaller than the average size, I have seen them on TVSN and at Karls sportpower store, they really don't take up much room at all, don't give up on buying one they really aren't too bulky (the one I got was a proper gym treadmill $3800) the smaller ones do the exact same thing that the bigger ones do, they are excellent, anyway good luck to you Peta

I just cant think of a free spot in my tiny house. Except the basement. and If I put it down there It will NEVER get used.

Monica I am with you- I live alone in Brooklyn NY and the idea of paying for a gym membership right now is out of the question for me. I have done an excellent job of working out at home,jumping jacks,running, push ups etc. I got HIP HOP ABS dvd series and wow that workout reeeeeally works the body! I would highly recommend it especially if you don't like a lot of getting down on the floor!