Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Has Joined A Gym Or Do You Work Out At Home?

WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?

• JOINED A GYM
    • WORK OUT AT HOME

If this questioned has already been addressed, I apologize, I couldnt find the thread.

I posed the question a couple of weeks ago that I needed convinced that I should exercise, and I was convinced. I have been doing some in home walking. My cable station offers a exercise on demand channel with various options. So far I have just done the walking a couple of times a week. I like it but I dont know if in the future I will be working out at a pace the is helpful. So I went to check out the local Victory Fitness Center. I really wasnt that impressed. There is a down payment of 116.00 and than it runs about 20 a month. Its pretty cheap but I was wondering if it was really necessary. So my question is this. Who has just worked out at home on there own, or have you joined a gym? And if you work at at home did you buy equipment?

I just joined the gym this week. I had orientation on Friday and will have a free assessment on Monday. I am really excited about it. I have a treadmill at home but really have not been motivated to use it. The gym will provide me more of a variety. I get really bored walking on the treadmill or just walking all the time.

I am biking and walking on my own for free. I do want to maybe get a gym membership during the winter months to keep myself going, start toning, and build strength in my legs, but for now, I will take advantage of the free activities that I can do.

I walk at least 2 miles each day at lunch, and than at night either walk or ride bikes.

Good luck......anything you are doing is more than what you WERE doing!!!!

I joined Curves for 1 year and after that year was up I joined a gym. I did go to curves 3 x week and that was just to get me into going, since it was much cheaper than the gym I wanted to join, I needed to test myself to see if I would go or just stop after a month or two. So after the first year, now I have been at my gym almost a year. I totally love it. I go 5x week and an extra 1 hour a week with a personal trainer who has been my savior really. I also started a running program at home on my treadmill. So I guess it really is up to you, are you motivated to do it yourself at home? Do you have stuff that will keep your interest? If not, check into the gym thing or another exercise route such as curves, etc.

I've got equipment at home, much more convienent and time saving for me, and I actually do it consistently, unlike going to the gym. I also like to spend a good long time on the treadmill and the queues of people waiting at the gym annoyed me.

I do enjoy the gym and will probably join again one day when I have time. But I'll never stop running now, I"m hooked!

I JUST JOINDED THE GYM ON THURSEDAY AND WORKED OUT WITH A PERSONAL TRAINER AND I WAS SORE FOR 3 DAYS LOL BUT I STILL WENT BACK ON FRIDAY AND HOPED ON THE TREDMILL... I FIND HAVING WORKOUT EQUIPMENT AT HOME JUST GATHERS DUST... I NEVER USE IT I NEED CONSTANT MOTIVATION AND NO DISTRACTIONS AND AT HOME I DONT HAVE THE MOTIVATION AND I HAVE PLENTYU OF DISTRACTIONS... lol:cool:

I prefer to stay at home. I don't think I'd be as loyal to exercise at a gym but everyone is different. I have a treadmill and I just bought a bowflex so I'll start using that soon.

If I stayed home, I would never exercise. I go to a gym. I have to force myself to put on my work-out clothes, and get going. If I stayed home, I

know I would be telling myself, "I'll exercise after this show is over"

I get up and get ready and go in the morning and once I am there, I'm glad,

even though some days I have to talk myself into it.

I love my gym for the variety it offers because I get bored easily. I also have been working with a trainer and that is the best thing I have done for myself (after the band, of course)! It's all pretty expensive ($180/mo) but I spent that on food before and this is a much better investment.

It had been ages since I belonged to a gym, but after being banded I knew it was the way to go for me. I joined a Contours Express one month after surgery and I've been loving it! Mine is $35 paid monthly with minimal membership fee. It's a circuit somewhat like Curves, but they use weight-resistant machines rather than hydraulic. Only women are allowed there. I recommend it!

Ladies Fitness Franchise Overview - Contours Express

I've been a gym member for almost 4 years. Even before the surgery I used to go on a regular basis. They have every piece of equipment that you could ever want so that if you get bored there are other options for working out. Jacqui made a good point -- join a gym that has a lot of exercise machines so you don't have to wait in line to use them.

It's also nice if you join a gym that offers a lot of classes -- doing an aerobics class in person is much more stimulating than one on TV -- plus there are instructors there to make sure you are doing the exercised properly and not injuring yourself.

Also, I live in a very hot and humid climate. I can ride my bike and take walks in December, but it's 90 degrees outside today. There's no way in hell I'm going outside to exercise.

I joined the gym. The thing that really makes me go is that my kids like to go to the child center there because it has so much stuff for them to do and play on. They love it so it is a little extra motivator at first. That and they have the swimming pools at the gym too so after you work out you can take a quick swim or sit in the hot tub. I take it as me time. I never did that before being banded and rather enjoy it now.

I joined a gym for 2 reasons -

1. No room in my house to add workout equipment

2. I want to pick the time to work out, so I joined a 24/7 gym. I work out after my kids are in bed, or at 5 am. Lately its been in the evening, but I feel better if I get out of bed and work out at 5 am before I start my day.

I am on my 13th week now of not missing a day of exercise!

I bought a Bowflex. My exercise Physiologist said that if you were going to stay home and work out with a machine that was probably the best one out there. So, I did it. I have been a gym member before and it seemed to take so much more time out of my day, I really really enjoy being at home and can do it whenever I want. I do make myself do it, but so do the ones who go to the gym. I also, so not have small children to contend with, which if i did, I think I would prefer the gym. It really is all about the ME time.

With the gym it seemed like by the time I would get there and get home, shower, get dinner made, homework done, I was exhausted and made up every excuse NOT to go back. I really think it all depends on the person and what challenges they face day to day to get in their exercise!!