Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Has Joined A Gym Or Do You Work Out At Home?

WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?

• JOINED A GYM
    • WORK OUT AT HOME

I actually have 3 gyms to choose from: one at work, one at my kid's school and one at the hospital where I had my surgery done. Work gym I hate because it is all full of steroid pumped guys and 98 pound girls (who stand in the locker room and say to each other "does this thong make me look fat?"). School gym is better because lots of older people use it so it's less stressful, but it is very busy and there are no trainers. Hospital gym is the best because there are lots of patients recovering from various things including bariatric surgery and the trainers are fantastic!!!!!! Everyone there makes me feel like I am welcome and any exercise I do is a triumph. :-) Unfortunately, that one costs additional $$ so for now I am running and walking at home. (I love being able to throw on clothes, workout, and come back to my own shower.) But once I get to onederland, I'm going to start lifting weights and using the machines over there. Ya just can't bet having a cheering squad while you are working out.

frog.

weight.png

exercise.png

i have my elliptical that barely gets used so i cant trust myself to join a gym.

years ago i took karate and felt sooo good about myself.

as soon as my unemployment streak ends i think i may try that again...

i am thinking about buying the bowflex extreme ,how do you like yours ,which one did you get? i am alittle worried about puting it together right

I LOVE my YMCA. It's a family atmosphere and not the meat market of other gyms. I find it loads easier to work out at the Y then at home. First of all my kid gets watched in a fabulous kids center they have. So right there its a huge benefit to me. I get a break too from her. When ur a single mom this is a blessing! Second I have signed up for alot of classes. Classes are far less boring then just using a treadmill. Also it forces me to go. I'm one of those if I'm signed up I have to go. They also have a computer called Fitlinxx that tracks everything I do. It's great! I get points as a reward and I can win different colored shirts for different levels. It's also very interesting to see all the totals that I've done. Like I know I average 200 minutes a week :Banane10:

I love the YMCA as well! There are a wide variety of classes that I can take, and always something that will fit my schedule. When there isn't a class that I'm interested in, a treadmill or elliptical machine is always available to use. I'm going to start some weight training this week to get toned up... I want some muscle on these arms instead of wings!

Well, time to change my vote.

I wasn't making process with home workouts, so I joined a very small hard-core strength gym and hired a trainer for twice-weekly workouts for the next 6 weeks. I'll end up spending almost a grand by the end of the year, but it will be worth it for the jump-start.

I have home equipment and joined a gym. I have three little ones who barely see daddy as it is, so I go to the gym during lunch, get in 30 minutes of cardio, then twice a week I go after work for back and legs training. The other days I get home at a decent enough hour to see my kids for about a .5 hour before they go to bed. I then go and do weights in the basement for awhile. I also have an elliptical for weekends.

It had been ages since I belonged to a gym, but after being banded I knew it was the way to go for me. I joined a Contours Express one month after surgery and I've been loving it! Mine is $35 paid monthly with minimal membership fee. It's a circuit somewhat like Curves, but they use weight-resistant machines rather than hydraulic. Only women are allowed there. I recommend it!

Ladies Fitness Franchise Overview - Contours Express

I never heard of Contours before. They don't have them in my area. What can you tell me about them? Is it something like Curves?

i have only just started my exercise,but do find im enjoying it,i live out of town,so to buy a membership would be silly,as i would only use it once a wk[it wouldnt pay for itself]i have a cross trainer and stepper,i love the cross trainer but find the stepper to hard,to help pass the time i put on a dvd while exercising,so its almost like relaxing at the same time.or just walking outside [its free]and just as good,before i put the weight back on i was walking around 6.5 km,and i really enjoyed it,it just takes time to build your fitness level up.:ranger:

Well, I finally joined our local gym tonight.

I have been biking all summer, and am getting really frustrated because I can't get out as much for all the reasons you can think of. Weather, it getting dark too soon, and work schedule.

So, I decieded I am not going to sit back all winter and gain my weight back, I have more too loose...so....

We did 10 min on treadmill, and 10 min on something that is a cross between a eleptcal and stair stepper??? And than did some weights.

I enjoyed the weights the best....

I wish I could join the Y, but the closest one is over 4 min away...and this is not.

So.....Thought I would share...

I've been going to the gym. I had to start going because I found out the more I went to the gym the more I stayed on the meals and dietary suggestions. I recieved my suregery on June 25,2007, and I didn't give myself time to heal. I ate everything I shouldn't eat. But when I got my fill, I realized that this is it, I had to change my life to change my weight. I started going back to the gym in October 12. My goal weight is 135. My starting weight was 225. My current weight is 195. The gym works. Remember 80% of the weightloss comes from eating right. Then again, if you lose to much weight you don't want your skin sagging. THe gym helps you keep motivated and youthful. It was hard for me at first. Your going to be soar. But the results you see will be all worth it.

I enjoy the socializing at the gym. Last month after restarting the membership, was pleasantly surprised how much better it feels to move. Gently, increasing the weights on Nautilus machines has not left me sore. And the reward . . . a nice sauna (which I turn into a steam bath by pouring Water over the rocks,) when my workout is done. It really makes the skin glow.

weight.png

After starting this post I still struggled with the ideal of joining the gym for various reasons, mainly the fact that I was just being lazy. But now I am happy to report that I have joined and Im loving it. So Im also changeing my vote. :whoo: