Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Has Joined A Gym Or Do You Work Out At Home?

WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?

• JOINED A GYM
    • WORK OUT AT HOME

Well, I have to say I've never enjoyed or liked to exercise. NEVER.

On a nice cool day, I enjoy a slow stroll outside, but now I am so overweight, that I can't walk but a few feet before I'm totally out of breath and my legs are shaking. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I've started a calorie restricted diet this week for a 6 month pre-op program befor banding, that is supposed to include exercise 5 days a week, but so far, I haven't done any. It was suggested that I start with just stretching, since I have lots of pain along my right buttox and down the back of my leg.

I know that I've GOT to start moving, why is taking the first step so hard? Any suggestions? I'm listening....

I'm a gym member. I like the gym. I haven't been laltey and I miss it. At first I hadn't gone for 2 or three weeks because I was overwhelmingly busy. Then I didn't go because I couldn't find my gym shoes. I still can't. I'm giving it a few more days. I think that if I still can't find my gym shoes at that point, then its time to order some pairs from zappos to try on (big feet) and get back to working out.

I'm a gym member. I like the gym. I haven't been laltey and I miss it. At first I hadn't gone for 2 or three weeks because I was overwhelmingly busy. Then I didn't go because I couldn't find my gym shoes. I still can't. I'm giving it a few more days. I think that if I still can't find my gym shoes at that point, then its time to order some pairs from zappos to try on (big feet) and get back to working out.

You might wanna do a search for running shoes on the internet and find a specialty place near you. I was really REALLY happy I did. I found size 11.5 in brooks and I adore them! They are like heaven and worth every cent I paid.

On a nice cool day, I enjoy a slow stroll outside, but now I am so overweight, that I can't walk but a few feet before I'm totally out of breath and my legs are shaking. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I've started a calorie restricted diet this week for a 6 month pre-op program befor banding, that is supposed to include exercise 5 days a week, but so far, I haven't done any. It was suggested that I start with just stretching, since I have lots of pain along my right buttox and down the back of my leg.

I know that I've GOT to start moving, why is taking the first step so hard? Any suggestions? I'm listening....

Hi there,

Well I think most of us started out hating exercise. I still don't go yippee..i gotta go to spin class..LOL. Anyways what I would do if I were you is just do the walking. I know you said you are out of breath really fast. But that's okay. Just do what you can. You'll find that it get's easier pretty quickly. Just stay consistent and push yourself a little more each day. I know your busy but you need to make an appointment for yourself on your calendar just like any other meeting, for a bit of exercise. I would do this every day during the week and then take off the weekends. I mean if you can only go for 2 minutes..fine..just do it. Just keep at it. You will see improvement. I promise :)

Good luck..remember we only got one body..gotta take care of it :D

HI

i joined a gym three months ago its a thirty minute cardio work out , you change equipment every thirty seconds and there is a running platform between each machine . the gym has just purchased a vibrating plate its a piece of equipment that you stand on and it shakes the whole body. the aim is to break down cellulite and by doings so makes it easier to lose the fat ? and it burns of 350 calories in 10 minutes? my question is does anyone know of any reason why i should not use it? i was a little worried that it might affect the band ? Also can anyone tell me how to update my ticker as i have now lost 70 pounds but dont seem to be able to update it thanks.

I don't belong to a gym, I have my own gym equipment at he house and use it all the time. I have a glider, a ab machine, weights, pliate straps and that total gym but not by chuck norris I found one on the internet that is made a lot better and comes with all the attachments a real nice owners maual with all kinds of features all for 377.00 and I have that thing called the Bean it holds up to 400 pounds and it is just great it comes with a dvd and info manual and well you can really get a great workout if you do it all right, I have my treadmill but I had to put it on my porch for I am running out of room for all of this stuff.My hubby is going to convert one of the bedrooms into my workout area yippie for me and lets not forget about walking. I had my band done in September 2007 and I am down almost 70 pounds and dropping weight like crazy. I have gone from a size 24 to a size 16 and I am knocking at size 14eens door. My Dr. tells me that I am doing fantastic and I tell him that I have to do this for me that I am so determined to gain control over my weight, he said that people usually gain weight but I have lost the weight over the holiday. I feel good and look good but I am tired now tdo to having a cold and not sleeping good at night. Don't worry about hurting the band according to my Dr. he said that you cannot hurt it and don't be afraid to exercise thinking that you can. So good luck with the circuit exercise program do u go to curves or to another one and where is it that you live, maybe we are neighbors. Have a great New Year and keep up the good work. Sharon

Hi I bought my running shoes at Kohls, called New Balance and I just love them. Good support and feel light on the feet. You don't want anything to heavy it can hamper the running and get a good arch support if you can. I used to run back in school and long after I graduated, well up until about 12 years ago and I am now 54 and I have to retrain myself. Good luck and yes even with the Band we still need to exercise to keep us toned up after all summer is around the corner and none of us want baggy skin.

Anyone else use the FIRM exercise program? I love it and am addicted. I would never join a gym as long as I have my FIRM around to kick my butt. Just wondering if anyone else uses it?

I joined the gym in the building where I work. It's $15/month :eyebrows::heh:(discounted) and it's so convenient for me. I found that I sat around for the last 30 minutes of my lunch and that those 30 minutes could be better well spent in the gym. When I get home, I'm just not motivated and I have no room for equipment. I prefer to go to a gym because of the variety. :biggrin1::bounce:

Neither did I, even as a kid. Recess was a waste of perfectly good time I could have my nose in a book! Anyway, my doctor has a gym and pre-op supervised weight loss patients get to use it free. I went today for the first time and worked with the exercise physiologist and it went pretty well. I'm going back Monday and am going to try to go every other day after work while my sons are at their sports practices. I put on my sheet that one of my goals was to learn to like exercise - maybe I'll make it this time. :eek:

Yes, I've joined a gym (local YMCA) and have promised to go at least 3 x's a week. My reasoning is that I want to ward off as much of the "bat arms" as possible post surgery. Throughout my 20's (when I was about 140 lbs) I ran 3 or 4 times a week and my body stayed toned. However, with the amount of weight I've gained over the years I began swimming again for the first time in many years and love it. There are countless benefits to swimming (check it out). In addition to being an overall toning workout; it raises your heart rate, there isn't any pounding on your knees or back, your body is weightless in the pool, it increases h2o in the lungs, all the while it feels great! I also really enjoy Water aerobics. I usually sleep really well after swimming.

I work out at home. I have joined gyms in the past, so many times, and never end up going. I feel very self conscious being in a room with a bunch of strangers and exercising.

I have a treadmill, elliptical, Firm dvds and transfirmer, pilaties stuff, the balance ball, and other stuff too and use them all!

I have gotten to the point where I make sure and work out every day. I dont LOVE to exercise, but I do love that I am doing it.

HI

i joined a gym three months ago its a thirty minute cardio work out , you change equipment every thirty seconds and there is a running platform between each machine . the gym has just purchased a vibrating plate its a piece of equipment that you stand on and it shakes the whole body. the aim is to break down cellulite and by doings so makes it easier to lose the fat ? and it burns of 350 calories in 10 minutes? my question is does anyone know of any reason why i should not use it? i was a little worried that it might affect the band ? Also can anyone tell me how to update my ticker as i have now lost 70 pounds but dont seem to be able to update it thanks.

The vibrating plate sounds like an update of the old vibrator belt, and my guess is you will waste a lot of time vibrating your fat without losing any. I seriously doubt the calorie burn, too. I would ask the gym if they have published studies showing that this thing does what it says. If they give you the runaround, I would do the same thing--run around the vibrating plate. You will probably burn more calories and lose more fat. I haven't been banded yet, so I can't say what it might do. And I don't have a ticker yet, either so maybe someone else on this thread can help with that.:cry