Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Has Joined A Gym Or Do You Work Out At Home?

WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. WHO HAS JOINED A GYM OR DO YOU JUST WORK OUT AT HOME?

• JOINED A GYM
    • WORK OUT AT HOME

My work is considering paying for employees to have gym memberships!

I hope they do and they do it at the YMCA. I want to swim and do the classes.

I do both.

I am an all-club member of 24-hour Fitness (indoor pools and working out while traveling = happy me) and I have equipment at home. I have a Total Gym, an elliptical machine, a standing leg machine that I am test-driving, and a balance ball with DVDs.

In Vegas, it's too damn hot to do stuff outside most days, and sometimes I just don't feel like going to the gym. My current schedule means I have to go at prime time, and fighting for a spot is just frustrating.

So, I have it set up at home, where I allow no excuses. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I like movies; working out while catching up on new releases via Netflix keeps me moving at least an hour a day, if not more.

All this time later since this thread began and I"m still working out at home. Tried the gym twice, as I really do like it, but the time factor got me again. It just works for me to be able to work out when I have half an hour, be it 6 am or 11 pm. And running is what I really love.

The MINUTE we can afford to move house we're buying one with a huge rumpus room, and we're having a complete home gym.

My work is considering paying for employees to have gym memberships!

I hope they do and they do it at the YMCA. I want to swim and do the classes.

Hey there, Cerrin.

This is encouraging!! You might also look into your insurance paying for the gym as mine not only gives a discount to the YMCA, it also reimburses up to $500 a year in addition....so if your work won't pay for the YMCA, don't let it deter you from joining! I take it you finally found a bathing suit if you intend to swim...:tt1:

Hey there, Cerrin.

This is encouraging!! You might also look into your insurance paying for the gym as mine not only gives a discount to the YMCA, it also reimburses up to $500 a year in addition....so if your work won't pay for the YMCA, don't let it deter you from joining! I take it you finally found a bathing suit if you intend to swim...:tt1:

OH I have plenty of swim suits. lol I need to buy a smaller one now. But it works.

How did you find out your insurance reimburses for the gym?

OH I have plenty of swim suits. lol I need to buy a smaller one now. But it works.

How did you find out your insurance reimburses for the gym?

Call your insurance company directly or look at their website. I've called the customer service number. Ask about "Fitness reimbursement". As I said before, some also have lower rates if you show your insurance card at sign up. Ask about waiving membership fees, too. I know with the YMCA there's a sign up fee, usually about $100, but it can be waived if you had a membership with them before. They're not out to make money as the bigger gyms are, so don't hesitate to ask about specials and stuff.... I know I've been allowed lower rates with Harvard Pilgrim, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and Tufts in the past....can't hurt to ask! :tt1:

I tried the gym, but never felt as if I belonged there. I have an exercise bike (eBay £26), a 15 year old cycle and some exercise videos. My outlay on kit is about one month's gym subscription.

Now I've met my targets, the exercise will go to one day on, one day off. Even better reason to be a home exerciser.

We bought a treadmill and my husband and I both go on it daily. Also use 5lb hand weights routine. I can watch my shows at night without an interruptions... it has worked out well so far. I can see at some point wanting to join a gym for variety but we are good for now.

I started out prior to surgery at a "Curves" like gym. It closed a few months later so I joined a 24/7 gym. My work place gave us all a self care grant so I put it towards half of a treadmill payment. My gym membership has expired and I don't miss it. Too many hairy eyeball stares if you stay on 1 of the 2 treadmills too long:blink: I do a kick butt aquafit class once a week, ride my mountain bike when it's not raining, and do different programs on the treadmill. I plan on buying some weights and resistance bands at Walmart and then get a personal trainer to show me different things that I can do at home. I like the treadmil at home because even if I only have a half an hour I can still fit that in. My gym is a 15 minute drive away and the machines are not the greatest. Do whatever works for you and fits into your life best. I really enjoy exercising now and I crave it if I miss too many days. WOW! Never thought I would ever feel that way!!:thumbup:

Barb

We live to far from any real town to purchase a gym membership. So I have a gazelle at home, I also walk and do Water aerobics when the weather is good. I would love to have a curves close by but the closest is 6o minutes away. I do have access to the equipment at the school, but they are only open for a limited time frame each day and with my work it does not mesh for me. So I do the home workouts. I really do enjoy being able to do things on my time, be it mid morning or in the evenings.

i think if i had a fun work out dvd i would work out more i need sum old school stuff like richard simmons anyone have any ideas???

I have DVDs galore, but I get the best work out is from my treadmill at my home. I mix it up, so my body does not get use to the workout. I vary the incline, speed and distance to work up a sweat.

I use hand weights for an upper body workout at home. It is more convenient this way and works with my hectic schedule.:blush:

If this questioned has already been addressed, I apologize, I couldnt find the thread.

I posed the question a couple of weeks ago that I needed convinced that I should exercise, and I was convinced. I have been doing some in home walking. My cable station offers a exercise on demand channel with various options. So far I have just done the walking a couple of times a week. I like it but I dont know if in the future I will be working out at a pace the is helpful. So I went to check out the local Victory Fitness Center. I really wasnt that impressed. There is a down payment of 116.00 and than it runs about 20 a month. Its pretty cheap but I was wondering if it was really necessary. So my question is this. Who has just worked out at home on there own, or have you joined a gym? And if you work at at home did you buy equipment?

I joined a gym a few weeks ago. I go 3 days a week. I walk on the treadmill at a 3.5 incline at about 2.7 to 3.0 speed for 15 minutes and then I get on the exercising bike for 15. That gets me my 30 minutes of cardio. After this, I to my inner and outter thighs, leg presses (laying down on a machine and pushing up 70 pounds as fast as I can, then I do the back on my calfs and front leg lifts, 10 times 3 times around on each machine. Then, followed by 20 minutes in the tanning bed. I have found that a workout followed by a tanning visit really cuts down on the soreness afterwards.