Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not loosing weight! Help!

Well, when you count on this surgery as a last resort, and you've wanted nothing but to lose weight so desperately, it almost feels like if you don't lose at a rapid pace, then maybe it's another failed attempt to get this stupid weight off! So ultimately it's more of an expression of fear rather than disappointment. Hope that makes sense.

My surgery was 8/25. I've been stalled for the last 4 days at the same weight. I lost 10 on my pre op liquid diet and 12 since. That is 22 # in a month which is great!! I'm just waiting this out, as I have read that it is expected.

I'm surprised so many people are saying "only" lost 15lb in a matter of weeks! - I too have lost 15lb - and am in a week long stall (i was sleeved 8/18) but i don't think of it as 'only' I think of it in a positive way! I've lost 15lb freakin' lb Yay for me (and thanks to my surgeon!) :)

Yes!!!

I get that it can be frustrating to watch people lose 10, 15, 20 pounds in a week, but you can't compare your journey to anyone else.

Someone with a BMI of 55 will likely have a faster initial loss than someone with a BMI of 40. Those who lost a bunch on the pre-op diet may lose less their first week post op because that first "easy" 10 pounds or so of Water weight is gone. Someone with a smooth recovery who gets moving early on may lose at a faster pace than someone dealing with constant pain and nausea for the first week.

We need to give ourselves a break, do our best and Celebrate every pound that gets us closer to our new, healthier life.

Well, when you count on this surgery as a last resort, and you've wanted nothing but to lose weight so desperately, it almost feels like if you don't lose at a rapid pace, then maybe it's another failed attempt to get this stupid weight off! So ultimately it's more of an expression of fear rather than disappointment. Hope that makes sense.

Yes!! Exactly my fears!!!

Thank goodness I had read about the stall before I actually got to it because I too would be freaking out now. I started my pre-op diet at the end of July until my surgery on August 17th, I had lost 16 lbs. Since surgery I have lost exactly 20 lbs, but I have been stuck at 20 down for almost a week now and what do you know, I just passed the 3 week mark. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it is going to pass soon and will keep pushing forward.

Edited by TXTinana

Don't worry about the numbers. You can lose weight or you can not lose weight, but lose inches, Fluid, & etc..

Stop worrying about the numbers or you will drive yourself into a turmoil.

Hello..i am 20 days post op and i feel so worried and stressed. I have only lost about 15lbs since the pre op diet wich was 3 days along with post op diet. I dont know why i am stuck on the weight..should'nt the first weeks be when you loose the most? Ive failed at loosing weight all my life that i am scared to death ill fail at this too..i need a friend who's had surgery around august 20..can anyone relate? Am i going nuts?

Everything i read says that the first month is when you loose a whole bunch..and my scale just wont go down..this is so deppressing :(

You really should have been on the pre-op diet for longer, at least 2 weeks. I lost 25lbs on my 2 week pre-op diet alone. It jump starts your weight loss. During the pre-op diet you should eat no more than 600-800 calories a day and it should be protein-based with little to no carbs. My doctor allowed me to have up to 50 grams of carbs a day, no more. The first week one may have one mean of lean meat with salad greens and then two meals with a Protein shake. The second week should be strictly Protein shakes, three times a day. That's what is needed to truly jumpstart weight loss.

If after you surgery you are not losing weight then it's likely a combination of eating too many carbs and not exercising enough. Cut the carbs out of your diet and begin to exercise if you are not currently doing so.

I also lost a good number the first 2 weeks about 20 ibs but then stalled for 2 and a half weeks.. Number even went up a couple days by a pound.. It has finally broken 2.5 weeks later.. It's frustrating but keep doing Proteins and hydration and it will pass!!

My surgery was on August 18, and I've lost 15 pounds since then. The total loss including pre-op is 22 pounds. It would be wonderful if the weight just flew off, but I'm pleased that it's going down slow and steady. My clothes are definitely looser, so that's encouraging.

I'm glad I read this thread. It seems like we're losing at our own pace.

How many grams of fat a day are you all consuming on average? I started to have a bit more healthy fats this week (avocado, Peanut Butter - in small amounts) with the hope that it could help with some dry skin Patches. I don't know if that's wise or not.

My pre op diet was based on the weight i needed to loose..everyone is different..also because i didnt have a fatty liver most patients are put on 2-3 weeks pre op diets due to fatty liver, drs beed the liver to shrink in order for the surgery to be less risky.

I was aloud to go on foods since last week..i drink my Protein shakes, i eat a little bit of tuna, cottage cheese..lettuce tomatoe...those are the only couple things i tolerate

svasquez,

What Inner Surfer Girl said! Plus, 15 lbs in 3 weeks is great!! It’s 5 lbs. per week. Some people might lose 80 lbs in the first year…that’s 1.5 lbs per week. So be patient and keep eating right, and the scale will follow when your body’s ready.

Brilliant explanation Babbs! Very helpful in understanding all the work happening inside the body. Thank you!!

I had surgery on the 21st of august. I also, feel concerned about my weight. It's been 3 weeks and I don't go for a followup until September 22nd. I'm concerned I'm bloated and I'm dreading my period.