Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept date I am all set

Drain? Sorry to sound naive but what is the drain for?

Yeah, what's the drain for?

Hang in there. I haven't had my surgery yet but every blog I read leaves me hopeful that the pain is temporary.

@@Jay05

Yes, from what I was told, the first 3-4 days are the worst. The PA told my hubby to be prepared, he said everything that goes wrong during that time will be the hubbies fault. Sun comes up late, hubbies fault. Water not hot enough, hubbies fault. We laughed about it, but PA said that will be the worst pain. There was a lot of stuff poking around in there and a lot done, so it's only within reason there will be pain.

Just stay ahead of it and take those pains meds!! Most important.

You will survive and be a new happy person, believe!

I also would like to know what the drain is for my doctor did not say anything about a drain if someone could please explain

@@Radar Wishing you the best of luck with your surgery and much happiness with your wife & daughter. I suffer from the same health issues as you and I'm also scheduled for surgery on the 21st. I'm sure we will be feeling and doing much better in 2016! :)

I'd like to know what the drain is about also. I've not heard my doc say anything about that.

When I went to my pre-op info class at the hospital the other day, they mentioned injections I would have to give myself, in the stomach, for blood thinner (I beleive that is what he said). All I heard was injections, stomach, 6-8 of them, and then all I heard was blah blah blah. I HATE needles. Told my hubby he was going to have to do that for me.

I'll find out more about that on the 10th, that's when I have my pre-op appt. with the surgeon. I'll also ask about this drain thingie.

Drain is to keep excess Fluid from building up and becoming infected. I had two in when I had a Tummy Tuck a few years back. They're a good thing, just really annoying.

So guys my surgery was on Fri. It was scheduled for 2pm but got delayed two hours because I was the last surgery of the day. Was in the recovery room 2hrs waiting for a bed. Let me tell you right now...don't let these YouTube vids fool you into thinking you are pain free after surgery. The pain was worse than when I had a c-section by far. Also I didn't get the medicine button that you can self regulate, I had to ask for pain meds, and felt like I was asking almost every two hours that first night. Delodid (excuse the spelling) is my best friend!

Then the next day, they are asking me to drink 30cc of clear liquid every hour. I think I had all of 30cc the whole day! My pain was so bad I had no desire to eat. Mind you my surgery went well with no complications, and my incision sites were perfect. It was the pain from "down under" I'm assuming where they removed my stomach. The broth made me gasier so I didn't have much of that, I primarily had diet cranberry juice. Only sucky part about that is cranberry juice has always made me thirstier. Then I ask my nurse for an abdominal binder (thought that would be routine but they said my doctor had to order one...trust me, you want one!) which holds your tummy in close and puts a little pressure to relive the pain. Finally, some relief!!

Then I get a nurse who wants to take away my delodid and put me on something lower to prep me for going home, but I insisted that I remain on delodid so I can get it through iv knowing I wasn't ready to swallow liquid meds if I barely consumed 30cc, and nausea was an issue too. She puts in a doctor order so I can keep the delodid, but my pain is finally starting to subside on Saturday so I'm gradually off the delodid and now I'm taking liquid narco, Tylenol iv drip (believe it or not, that shit helps a lot!) and something called terrodol (excuse my spelling). Finally, I'm feeling like myself.

It's early Sunday morning around 4am, and I'm in absolutely no pain. I've already walked around twice this morning. I actually feel like I could go home, but I may have to stay one more night becauSe I haven't consumed any Protein yet or released gas from the back. I'm totally fine with staying a third night and I may even request it just to make sure I'm ok before I go home.

Positives have been that I have had absolutely no vomiting (granted I have hardly eaten though), the things they have given me taste ok, my nurses on Sat and early Sun have been phenomenal, I have a private room, I'm in no pain now!

Negatives are my nurses the first night were both men, and not nurturing at all! I still haven't eaten much although I feel ok. I got on the scale yesterday...I was 301 before my surgery and was 310 last night (wtf, I haven't eaten shit!) but nurses said it's probably from all the iv fluids as I think I've has about 3-4 bags each day.

Otherwise, things are ok. I will post again later. Words of advice, if you don't like your nurse, ask for a new one ASAP! I just tolerated my crappy male nurses the first night, and my blood pressure was high all day Saturday from the pain and frustration I endured the first night. My levels are finally normal and I'm pain free because I have awesome nurses that actually listen to my needs. Also, get an abdominal binder ordered by your doc before the surgery so it's already waiting for u when u go to your room, it's a lifesaver believe me guys. Don't try to eat too much even if they tell u otherwise. Listen to your body, you figure it out pretty quick. If all you can do is 30 cc so be it, it will get better. Make sure you have a couple people come visit you, at my lowest points when my family walked in, it changed everything. Also it lets the staff now you have people looking out for you. Otherwise, just relax and pray (prayer warriors only, no offense to the atheists lol). Prayer is the only thing that has gotten me through it all.

I believe you guys will have a pleasant experience. Believe it or not, mine is getting better each day. I'll be keeping you guys posted. Until next time sleeve sisters ✌????❤️

Edited by amberc425

Oh, and no drains for me...not sure what that's about, but sounds like something you would need for an infection. Hopefully it's just routine, but again, I didn't have one and it was never mentioned to me. I hope you are doing well and continue to get better each day!

OMG Radar, as a children's social worker with child protective services, this just made me so upset hearing about all the abuse you endured as a child. No judgement at all, but when this is all done, it would be great if you did some individual counseling to ensure those issues from your past don't creep into your future as you embark on this new journey. Again, I'm so sorry for what you had to endure, and I'm looking forward to you getting a chance to focus on yourself so you can continue to be the best dad! Best of luck to you Radar ❤️

My gastric sleeve surgery is scheduled for September 21st only 17 days away. In 3 days I have to start my 2 week surgery prep diet. It didn't seem real until I was told yesterday that I was approved and today that I'll be getting the surgery in less than 3 weeks. Now it seems real and I must admit, I'm slightly nervous. I'm just happy my doctor is one of the best around. He normally works at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center but I'll be having the work done in Marina Del Rey.

Here's my story...

I was once in really great shape. I grew up very fit but always felt fat anyway. I wrestled for 6 years and had to go up a weight, and down a weight all the time. Eventually I couldn't bounce back as easy. When I got out of the Navy, I was a monster, and I was in the best shape of my life as a very solid, cut, and muscular 170 pounds. I got a hernia shortly afterwards or even when I was still in and got an operation for it. I couldn't hit the gym as hard as I did before due to the pain. Follow that with about 5-6 pretty bad car accidents (I must have a bullseye painted on me) and my back and shoulders got pretty messed up too. Pair that with me being a professional computer geek and there just wan't a lot of exercising going on.

My diet was horrible too. I work a A LOT! I work at strange hours and have gotten into some pretty bad habits. My wife does nails so we never eat dinner before 8pm and normally around 9pm. I have never been one for planning meals and just grab whatever is close and cheap which is usually fast food. As Louie C.K. says, "The meal isn't over when you're full. It's over when you hate yourself". I grew up with a father who was very poor as a child and he drilled into my head that you eat everything on your plate.

As a child I was abused very severely both mentally and emotionally as well as physically. I could go into the horror stories like having my head held under Water or a towel twisted up and put around my neck and being lifted by it, or having my body tossed across the room into a wall to fall on the floor, or being kicked in the face with steel toed boots on my father's feet and many worse things, but let's just say my brother and I had it very tough. Eventually I learned to forgive my parents, but I never forget. To this day my father won't admit to what he did. He just says, "I wasn't a very good father" but if I mention specifics he will deny them.

Now I'm a father of my own and I feel like a failure because of my weight. I want to take my daughter to Disneyland and ride the rides with her, but I can't fit in the rides and she's too short. Well she's getting taller and I intend on being smaller. I will not see her childhood wrecked because of my weight. I want to play in the park with her and ride bikes together and one day see her graduate from college and dance with her at her wedding.

My daughter was born when I was 37 years old. I had planned on an early checkout, but now I have to stick around. My plans have changed.

I am doing this surgery to save my life. I have diabetes, high cholesterol and triglycerides and high blood pressure and hopefully after this surgery I can lose enough weight that I can exercise without much pain and can get back into the shape I was in when I was younger.

This is me in the blue shirt back when I was in shape...

]Brothers.jpg

This is a photo of me taken a month ago...

11822406_477560895739180_282574108311007

My goal weight is about 140 pounds away. I've done every crazy diet in the book including but not limited to Fen-Phen, Belviq, Master Cleanse, Atkins, Jenny Craig, Body for Life & Eating for Life, etc. but eventually I either hurt myself with the exercise, or try to eat something normal around my family and all of the weight comes back with extra.

This is it for me. This is the end. I'm drawing a line in the sand and this is where I say NO MORE! I will change my lifestyle, change my body, and change my life once and for all and I'm never going back.

Edited by amberc425

Managing well at home

Really enjoyed a night in my own bed and a shower this morning.

Just had 1 dose of pain meds today, paracetamol ( Tylenol in USA I think?)

Managed Ready Brek thin porridge for Breakfast, and Soup for lunch.< /p>

Still tired, and my calf muscles cramp when I walk upstairs.

@@nomilktoday they let you guys eat much faster than out here. I'm on Clear Liquids the first week post-op, full liquids the second week, puréed food the third week then soft solids week four. Seems that you are about a week ahead in what you can eat. Glad to hear you are doing well. I think I'll be released from the hospital today. Still don't have a desire to eat very much, but they said if I stay longer I could risk and infection (not sure why) so I'm going home this afternoon. Let's continue to keep each other posted!

Surgery was done Wednesday. How is everyone else doing? I still have drain in, and due to holiday won't have it out until Tuesday. Not my favorite thing but better safe than sorry! Hope all my September pals are doing good post op and pre op!

I hope you feel better soon. I don't even know what a drain is and it sounds awful.

Managing well at home

Really enjoyed a night in my own bed and a shower this morning.

Just had 1 dose of pain meds today, paracetamol ( Tylenol in USA I think?)

Managed Ready Brek thin porridge for breakfast, and Soup for lunch.

Still tired, and my calf muscles cramp when I walk upstairs.

Get well soon!