Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you haven't had surgery yet what are you most afraid of?

Im going to Mexico for my surgery and only my husband and BFF know, I'm scared something will happen and my children and parents will feel I made a selfish choice.

I'm also worried about losing and regaining and being "that person" who thought she could take the easy way as people think only to regain and prove people right.

I'm worried about energy levels for the first few weeks post op and being able to do my job two weeks out.

I'm afraid of dying in the surgery

I'm afraid that I won't loose a pound and I will be a medical sleeve mystery

Anyone?????

I am having the same fears!! That The other things wrong with me will keep me from losing any weight or I will have horrible side effects. Lol I guess I have a lot of fears. But I know I need to put them aside because I have to get this done.

I love getting nekkid in front of coworkers! Yikers...YUCK, has anyone seen my coworkers?

My fear is gas in my belly, Constipation and excess skin.

I can deal pretty well with pain, but the three above kind of have me stumped.

Someday I am going to develop a Mac and cheese with Bacon Protein shake, Double Cheeseburger Protein Shake, Pepperoni pizza with double cheese Protein Shake. Or better yet a pill you can swallow that will trick your senses into thinking they have eaten a big juicy steak, baked potato with garlic bread and cheesecake for dessert.

My work here is done.

You are a funny lady!

I love getting nekkid in front of coworkers! Yikers...YUCK, has anyone seen my coworkers?

My fear is gas in my belly, Constipation and excess skin.

I can deal pretty well with pain, but the three above kind of have me stumped.

I am fearing constipation also. I have had issues with that in the past and its not fun. But I have read things that say the stool softeners are usually enough to get through it. I'm hoping so.

>

I'm afraid of dying in the surgery

I'm afraid that I won't loose a pound and I will be a medical sleeve mystery

Anyone?????

I'm not afraid of dying in surgery; instead, I'm afraid of something going wrong with the surgery and leaving me with some sort of lifelong disability or major problem that will never go away.

Yes! I thought of this too! I also worry, "What if it turns out there's something in your stomach that you need to live a long time, and we're all getting surgery that still makes us die at 70 instead of 90?"

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I have that same fear :blink: What if in 20 years problems happen and its because part of my stomach is missing! I also fear blood clots and complications.

Edited by SleevedstylistCO

My biggest fear is not waking up after surgery. I know I will be successful post op (positive thinking!) but I fear not making it through the actual surgery. I had a full on breakdown the other day imagining I didn't make it through and my family dealing with the aftermath... Really morbid I know buts it's just how my mind works

Yep, I have had these thoughts too!

I'm not afraid of not waking up, I've had anesthesia before. The Hair loss issue I can deal with, make it fun, there are lots of colorful cheap wigs on Amazon. Just be a spunky new you, lol. My fear is that I will not be able to stay on the diet regimen. Being skinny is not new to me, i was skinny until I had my second child and I gained a lot of weight due to having a rough pregnancy, no exercise, and then I couldn't lose the weight after he was born. Just kept gaining. I am hoping that the last 8 years being heavy has taught me to be kind to people once I am skinny again as I've had several people treat me poorly at this weight, even scoff and not believe the pictures of me when I was younger. People can be so cruel.

I too worry that its going to be another try thats going to fail. I have tried every diet going. I have seen my friend after her surgery, she looks great. Cant imagine it working that well for me. Fingers crossed surgery in October. Watch this space............

mostly im scared for my marriage i hope im the same person when all this is said and done. i dont want to be that spouse that changes when they get healthy and leaves their best friend behind

My fear is they will find cancer. I just had a hysterectomy for endometrial cancer (all removed, no further treatment needed, thank God!). But I have "cancerhead" now, and feel like it may just be lurking anywhere.

Dying & failure. But I know God has me in His hand. I trust Him.

In answer to your question - what do you fear?

#1 is that I have anxiety over the unknown... surgery will probably be in October or November is my guess at this point.

I'm afraid of the risks/complications - yet even in being afraid I know that the benefits for my health will outweigh them..

I'm anxious because of people like my sister who says with her mouth that I had better be sure this what I want to do ....as she is shaking her head side to side (as in no way) and I can hear her thoughts saying, "you just haven't tried hard enough at diet and exercise". Ironically, I'm the one who used to shake their head and say that same thing to myself .........but after years of serious effort with minimal progress, I've recognized the need for alternatives....anyway, I'm afraid of what people will think because they don't really know my story.

I'm afraid that my efforts at being open and honest, instead of hiding behind my weight, will only get me hurt emotionally.

Need I continue with the things that I'm afraid of....? LOL.

Yes, I have fears and anxiety but I can also laugh about it and know that I God is good and I can get through this and grow through the process. I'm enjoying reading about others stories. Thanks for sharing.

Being on the other side now, I can gladly say that I made it through. Before hand I was given meds to relax me and hell forget my fears and that helped! Y'all have no idea, I was coming to this forum and finding new fears to have! Lol, anyway, I am a skeptic and I just knew something bad would happen. So far, its been somewhat smooth sailing. The first two days I regretted my decision to have surgery.

I am going to be honest, at this point I miss food and I'm still scared that I won't be able to eat better. Your fears after surgery will still be there, you just have to live one day at a time and remember that you are doing something that could potentially really work to your advantage and help you live a healthier life. Forget about the negative comments people are saying! They are not you and have no idea what you are going through. Get help if you need it and do what you feel is right. Good luck to all of you! And don't let your fears get the best of you.