Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you haven't had surgery yet what are you most afraid of?

Wow this phone is horrible! I swear I typed the right words! Forgive the typos people. I'm sure you know what I meant to say.

I am afraid of dying first and foremost and leaving my kids without a mother. I am worried that I may have too much scar tissue to proceed, or my liver was still enlarged and in the way (even though I have been so diligent with my liquid diet) I am worried that I will have a heart attack,stroke or a blood clot. Can you tell I am a worry wort ? SIGH ... And I almost forgot to add, having complications. Especially because I am self pay and I don't want to bankrupt my family.

Edited by shellyd67

I am scheduled to be sleeved 8/31/15! Yay!

I have some fear, especially that I will not lose weight or that I will develop a severe complication while on the table. But I realize that our minds play tricks on us if we allow it. This is not the time to be distracted or self sabotage. I can't wait to be free from this prison of fat that I have been locked into.

Hello! Cslove, your dare is so close to mine!! In sept 1st :-)

Thank you all for being real enough to post your fears. I have realized that I am not afraid of dying, I am afraid of not being in control.

They put me under for surgery and I no longer have any say as to what happens. Then what if something goes wrong and I don't wake up but I don't die either. The thought of living in a vegetative state is more than I can bear.

Then I make it through surgery and how long will it take me to feel ok again? I know what others have said, but I am not everybody else, I am me.

And so once I get through all of that and what happens if I fail again? I have tried everything. And what if this too doesn't work? I don't know if I can stand it.

Then I reign myself in and realize that I purposefully have not set a goal weight. For me, this has to be about getting a healthy lifestyle. My body's response to that is its response. I have no control over that either. I can only control what I put in it and how I move it. Trying very hard to let go of outcomes I cannot do anything about.

My biggest fear is not waking up after surgery. I know I will be successful post op (positive thinking!) but I fear not making it through the actual surgery. I had a full on breakdown the other day imagining I didn't make it through and my family dealing with the aftermath... Really morbid I know buts it's just how my mind works

My fears:

1. Never waking up from anesthesia/other surgery complications that kill me

2. The surgery not working- specifically, that I'll still always be hungry.

3. So much loose skin in hard-to-cover areas that I'm even more self-conscious about than my excess fat

4. Developing some nasty infection after surgery and dying

5. The changes in my body causing changes in my relationship with my boyfriend. I've seen about a million episodes of Dr. Phil where the wife loses a ton of weight/gets a dramatic makeover and she leaves her husband to go out and party because it's the first time anyone has ever really given her attention/flirted with her. As I have never gotten romantic attention or been flirted (well, to my knowledge at least) I worry that the sudden shift might make me go a little 'crazy'. This is especially worrisome because growing up I didn't get much love/attention from my parents either, so I worry it'll ignite some part of me that I won't like.

6. Judgement. From friends, from strangers, whatever- about why I "couldn't just lose weight the right/normal way"

7. Going through surgery in the hope of nipping in the bud the Type II diabetes, congestive heart failure, stroke, heart attack etc. only to get it all anyway

Yeah, so I have a lot of fears...

I'm afraid of forgetting to stay hydrated. My NUT says I will probably need to place alarms to remind me to drink. Ugggg!!

Edited by Rose4 Life

Not to minimize anyone fears but I feel you all will be fine! We have come a long way! Yes we will be judge but guess what? We will look good while others are judging us! We will be able to enjoy our families! I worry about my husband not loving me the same because he LOVES curves, but the truth of the matter is I need this for me! You need this surgery for you!

Meet you on the weight loss bench! ????

I'm scared I will be in so much pain that I won't be able to work and I will drown in student loan debt and poverty.

Just to prove to you all how neurotic I am, I thought of another fear: waking up during surgery.

I've read this happens in less than 1 in every 100 cases, but when I received IV anesthesia for an oral surgery several years ago, I was able to hear the surgeon and nurse talking for several minutes --- while they started operating on my mouth.

Just to prove to you all how neurotic I am, I thought of another fear: waking up during surgery.

I've read this happens in less than 1 in every 100 cases, but when I received IV anesthesia for an oral surgery several years ago, I was able to hear the surgeon and nurse talking for several minutes --- while they started operating on my mouth.

I read it's around 1 in 1000, but I'm with you, it's something I've thought of and am terrified of

Edited by NaomiAus

I have 6 months to go so I don't have fears just anxiety of the waiting. And concerned about hair loss as I have thin fine hair as it is. Plus I know it's crazy, but I don't know how to be thin, I've always been heavy. Crazy process! LOL