Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does "Back to Basics" with Lap Band mean to you?

I see on here a lot that when someone stalls, or gets off track, there is a push to go "back to basics". I'm wondering what that means to all of you (specifically with lap band since I believe the "basics" of other surgeries are different).

For me, recently I was battling with a band that was too tight. Even though I was losing weight, I wasn't eating healthy and I was throwing up 3-5 days a week (some days constantly). I got an appt with my surgeon and she loosened the band but was confident that my problems were behavioral. I was eating slow and taking small bites, but she asked if I waited a full 30 seconds after finishing a well-chewed bite before having my next bite - in truth sometimes I was, but probably not all the time. She asked me to:

- eat with a timer at every meal (waiting the full 30 s)

- only eat when I was hungry (saying it's okay for me to skip a meal if I'm not hungry)

- carefully consider before I eat (a meal or the next bite) whether I'm really truly hungry

- exercise

- meet with a NUT again

I guess these are my basics. I need to refresh on the nutrition info they gave me. I remember it recommending artificially sweetened, high processed foods, which I think made me disregard the whole thing. But there are probably some pearls of wisdom in between the fat-free, sugar-free offerings (hopefully)!

Do you all eat with a timer at every meal? Are your basics similar or different to mine?

Thanks!

Hi meggs353,

Good question.

The physical basics I followed were:

-eat slow (7 years down the road I still have trouble with it)

-chew chew chew

-don't drink with meals

- stay off carbonation (I can drink soda but way after my meal)

The "other" basics I did

-tracked my food (my fitness pal)

-I stopped weighing myself (it messed up my head too much)

Once a month was all I'd do.

- I also measured myself once a month because I was working out a lot and while weight didn't shift a lot some weeks, the inches would fly off.

-increased my exercise 4 fold from what I was doing pre-band.

Like you I had my band too tight at some points when I was losing weight and my weight loss stopped. My body was trying to hold onto any calories I gave it.

I still follow the basics. However sometimes I slip up... And have to jump on this site to remind myself what the basics are. Good luck on your journey.... It's well worth it....

Protein first.

No drinking liquids from first bite until 20 minutes after the meal.

No carbonation.

Chew to mush.

Stop the meal at 20 minutes.

Wait 3-4 hours between meals.

No snacking.

Protein, veggies, then small amount of carbs if still hungry.

Thanks for the input! It's always nice to hear from others.

It also sounds like the 30 second timer might be a "rule" specific to my dr only.

Hi Meggs, great post. I practiced with a timer early on because I was such a fast eater -- still have to fight that impulse to shovel, shovel. For me, putting down my little fork or spoon in-between bites is important. I don't have many rules for myself except to eat when I'm hungry and don't eat if I'm not. Protein takes care of itself in my case because that's what I crave. I avoid all sliders -- shakes, bars, etc. are sliders for me -- have to be careful of things like crackers or chips, etc. Since my last adjustment I cannot drink with food. And I can't tolerate carbonation unless it's just a splash into something flat. For getting back to basics, I benefit from an occasional mini-fast. Should probably do that again soon. Life is busy and full, way too social just now, and sometimes I need to regroup. The links below in my signature have helped me a lot. Best wishes -- sounds like you have a good doctor and you're doing well!

Getting back to the basics for me means reflecting on what I have and haven't been doing. For me one of the most common things I omit without realizing it is my 80oz of Water. Since I don't drink soda any more and I've never been a coffee drinker the source of my caffeine is iced tea. Sometimes I find myself going through the day drinking (2) 32oz glasses of tea and realizing at the end of my day I've only had 1 bottle of Water. The other thing I commonly find myself doing with a fast paced life is grabbing and going, so I will have a yogurt and trail mix for Breakfast, a Protein bar for lunch and then for dinner I will just grab another yogurt and trail mix just because it's the easiest thing for me. I'm eating high processed foods and am omitting the clean healthy whole foods from my diet. So the basics for me is 80oz of water, 3-4 oz of lean fresh Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies per meal, finishing in 20 min regardless of what's left of my plate. When I commit myself to doing the very basic and core things I was taught in the beginning, the flex= I was seeing on the scale goes back to "normal" for me.

I was told to not drink 20 minutes before a meal and 20 minutes after. Put the fork down between bites. Eat for 20 minutes only. 2 bites of Protein, 1 bite of veg, carbs should be avoided - but if wanted then only be the last bite. Eat 3 meals a day only (no snacking). No carbonation, no sugar. Eat without distraction (no tv, no reading, etc.). 80 oz of Water a day. Didn't have to worry about counting calories or measuring food if these rules were followed.

From what I understand my Dr. has since revised some of these basics like drinking before a meal and the snacking. Sometimes I think it would be wise for the clinics / Dr. to update their veteran banded patients on the newer findings on the to do's/not to do's of the LapBand. Things change.

Thanks for this topic!

Edited by betrthnever