Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I would give anything for a Diet Coke...

I was a diet Mt dew addict. HAD to have it...still want one badly... I'm 2 weeks out. The other night my family went out to dinner... and there I was drinking Water. I started feeling nauseous from all the smells. Took a sip of the hubby's Pepsi and it made me feel better... it's truly an addiction! We need interventions lol

I know this sounds warped, but I would love it if I drank a diet coke and it was painful! Operant conditioning is the only thing that seems to work for me!

My nut told me to chew mint gum when out to dinner, cooking and grocery shopping. I thought it was kind of silly, but it really did work to cut off the smell and taste senses.

I drink a diet coke a few times a week. There's zero evidence that carbonation harms the sleeve and it hasn't hindered me one bit. My eating/drinking guide even said I could have carbonation after a month. All it does is make me burp more.

I was a Diet Dr. pepper addict. 3 liters per day. The chevron guy and I had a relationship based on my addiction---he would go get them from the cooler when he saw me pull in!! 6 weeks off of it and now I wonder if he thinks I died!! Although I read on here that some people go back to soda postop I know I need to stay away....its a slippery slope back to my 3 liter habit, plus I have way less headaches now!

I hate, loathe and despise Water and Crystal Light or anything like that doesn't help it. So I force myself to drink it and then once I've hit my goal, I do have a diet Coke a few times a week. I don't have any pain or problems with it and I haven't exploded.

It's the only way I will actually drink the Water. Before surgery the only water I EVER drank was what it took to wet my toothbrush and brush my teeth.

Just be careful because in the long run not enough Water can permanently damage certain organs, I had to learn to love a long time ago, so I have not really had any problems, but I do understand since I find myself craving an energy drink once in awhile, I think if you want to get a better perspective there are several videos including some on YouTube that shows the damage soft drinks can do, including taking the acid off a car battery, but ultimately if you aren't having any problems or side effects I see nothing wrong with you indulging from time to time, just please get you water in...... :)

Edited by laguerr13

It's not just the bubbles in carbonated sodas that are a problem ... and no, I'm not worried about bubbles stretching my smaller stomach.

But diet sodas are very acidic and aggravate GERD terrifically bad. I learned this from ONE awful day a few weeks ago when I was stuck for hours with nothing to drink but diet sodas. Ugh. And I really mean ugh.

Several recent studies by the NIH have suggested that 'sleeve stretching' by carbonation is not actually possible, we have an outlet afterall (the esophageal sphincter). That said, it can be INCREDIBLY unpleasant etc etc, ut once you're all healed, they suggest that teensy tiny amounts should be okay. Or you can just let t go flat first.

All in all though, follow your doc's orders and/or your NUT's. Every surgeon does the job a smidgeon differently and the particulars can have a HUGE impact (for example, is the bougie wide at the top and narrow at the bottom, narrow at the top, or 'rectangular.')

Whatever you do, don't push yourself and good luck!

Edited by Smye

I too was a diet coke fiend and had my last few the day before my sleeve. I do miss it and don't dare try it again. It will be a slippery slope to other things I'm sure!

I have carbonated drinks too. I burp immediately and take smaller sips. No problems here.

An update: today I "caved" and got a small diet coke, planning to just sip it. IT WAS DISGUSTING!!!!!! After three tiny sips I threw it away. I can't describe it but I guess it was just bizarrely sweet. I guess this is a good thing - like finally breaking up with a boyfriend that is really bad for you!

That's awesome, I had the same response when my wife gave me a bite of McDonald's burger, the fries tasted like old oil, and the burger was sour and poor quality, I was so happy lol

After surgery I was 1 of those weird people who could not tolerate the taste of Water. Doctor says it will eventually go away. I found water enhancers that taste like soda without the carbonation. I too drank big gulps alot. Luckily I worked hard to cut them out a few weeks before surgery but it was brutal. I have a Water Enhancer that is orange crush. It is awesome. They might have 1 that tastes like cola.

It's funny how some things no longer taste good at all. We had a church picnic on Sunday and I had one potato chip. I used to eat a one pound bag of those things in one sitting. And it tasted TERRIBLE. I also had a bite of my son's ice cream and it was nasty - disgustingly sickeningly sweet.

I grew up drinking Tang and I'm loving sugar free orange Tang right now. That's the way I've been getting in my Water. It tastes much better to me than Crystal Light or any of the others.