Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Megan and I have my consultation for surgery scheduled August 4th in Columbus, OH. My insurance covers the procedure and I'm not required to do a food log or see a nutritionist so I was hoping someone could let me know what preop stuff may be required before surgery by the surgeon (or what is usually required preop). I'm a physician assistant myself but have spent most of my time in the ER. I've gotta be honest, I'm scared because all I would see were surgery related problems and complications in the ER and I never got to see all the good...until I discovered this app! I'm considering the sleeve, however, that could change once I see the surgeon. I have been heavy all my life (first grade pics even show it!) but I'm my heaviest now. I had a year long back problem which resulted in cauda equina and emergent back surgery in February so I gained a significant amount of weight over the last 2 years, with exercise difficulty now due to residual leg weakness from surgery. post-258178-14364698245656_thumb.jpgLooking forward to seeing results like the rest of you! Thanks for reading my story. :)

You look beautiful and SO happy on your wedding day :)

I bought a few books on what the stages are, however everyone seems to do it differently here. Have they not given you ANY information about how to prepare and what to do afterwards?

Hugs

Kate

Thank you so much! As you can see, I get the weight issues from my dad ;) The only thing I was told was to allow for 5-8 hours of preop testing on one day. I hear people mention EGDs and such and I'm assuming that is something that would be covered by insurance if mine covers 100% of the procedure? Or maybe all the preop stuff is extra? My insurance company said it was dependent on what the surgeon required as to whether it would be covered by them. Was hoping maybe someone else experienced this who is also 100% insurance covered. Regardless, I will still do the procedure. Just wanted to plan for any extra expenses. :)

I have met my out of pocket max for the year with my ins so my only out of pocket cost is for the psyc evaluation because the ins doesn't cover that at all. Yo u looked very happy and pretty in you wedding picture.

Welcome and best of luck with your surgery. I was sleeved April 20 and couldn't be happier. It's quite a journey.

As to pre-op testing, some is required by your surgeon and some things may be required by insurance. My insurance didn't cover WLS so I was self-pay and didn't have any insurance requirements. The pre-op tests I had to get (off the top of my head): pulmonary testing, clearance from a cardiologist (may require some tests), an upper GI (I had this in lieu of an EGD because my insurance didn't cover anything), and a battery of blood work.

I had already been diagnosed with sleep apnea but some folks need a sleep study.

Your surgeon's office will fill you in on all the required testing.

In addition, you will probably have a psych clearance. The psych clearance, nutritionist visits/classes, and pre-op classes were all provided by my bariatric program in-house.

I hope this helps.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of the input. I will certainly keep everyone updated throughout the process and ask questions and for help when I need it. :) I'm loving all of the success stories!!

You are absolutely radiant in your wedding day picture! Honestly it looks like it came straight out of a high fashion magazine!

Welcome to the forums. You're on your way to an amazing life changing journey. There is so much heartfelt support here that it practically oozes off the pages!

You are going to love the new life waiting for you, just around the corner. ????

Hi megs!

So my insurance is the same way where it doesn't require much. It's covering my surgery so that's great too. The only things I have to go through are a psych evaluation and attend a support group meeting.

I haven't talked to my dietician yet about the pre-op liquid diet, but I'm getting close to that conversation.

Also, I see that you're considering the sleeve. The sleeve is great if you are looking for Portion Control with food (mainly) whereas the gastric bypass has that as well, but also really helps with other health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.

I'm getting the sleeve done, because I don't have any health problems associated with my weight, but the gastric bypass is still a good option.

Anyway, good luck on your journey!!

Candidate, you are too kind! Would you believe that was the first dress I tried on and it was on the clearance rack? It was a dream come true! Haha

Danaado- I already did my psych evaluation so I'm just anxiously awaiting the consultation. I think it's probably wishful thinking to hope I can schedule preop testing at that visit, but since insurance doesn't require anything, I was thinking maybe the process would be faster?? Haha, I'm probably crazy, but am crossing my fingers for a late August, early September date.

Also, danaadoo, I also don't have any medical problems other than mild cholesterol issues that are supposed to be diet controlled. That's why I was choosing sleeve as well. I'm 5'9 and last weigh in was around 315.

Candidate, you are too kind! Would you believe that was the first dress I tried on and it was on the clearance rack? It was a dream come true! Haha

Danaado- I already did my psych evaluation so I'm just anxiously awaiting the consultation. I think it's probably wishful thinking to hope I can schedule preop testing at that visit, but since insurance doesn't require anything, I was thinking maybe the process would be faster?? Haha, I'm probably crazy, but am crossing my fingers for a late August, early September date.

Yep, the same with me! I'm aiming for late August/Early September as well. No I don't think your crazy!! I'm on the same boat!

Yes it does, but I remember reading that it there's a chance that it only helps with a portion of it whereas the bypass helps the majority of not all of it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just remember reading that. Either way both surgeries are beneficial.

Welcome to the forums! I began this crazy process in March after 2 wake up calls in one month. I needed a seat belt extender on a flight and was told I had type II diabetes. My dad died from heart attack when he was only 43 and I have already outlived him 3 years! I began with my own YouTube research and reading a couple books. Then I attended the free seminar offered by my Bariatric surgeons office. I felt the information presented was about same as I learned in my research. Anyway my insurance does require the 6 months nutritionist visits, psych evaluation, lab work, EKG, EGD (stomach scope), and a 3 hour class. I have it all done now except one more NUT visit this month and the class in August. Hoping for approval and surgery by Sept or October. I chose sleeve and it IS expected to resolve my diabetes and my borderline high cholesterol. If you are wanting a great easy read book that discusses all aspects of sleeve I recommend The Sleeved Life by Pennie Nicola. Good luck on your journey. Maybe we'll end up sleeving near same timeframe. ????