Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had to wait a year (started November last year) At the time I didn't think I could wait that long and that the year would go incredibly slowly, and at times it did but now I'm less than 4 months away, seeing my surgeon in September to book in for appointments (bloods, abdo ultrasound and 2 dietician consults) and then hopefully getting a surgery date. I never thought I would say or think this but I am glad that I have had this waiting period, it has given me time to research and prepare myself mentally and physically for what I have ahead. Hang in there, it will go quickly enough

Keep your chin up. My program is 12 MONTHS! I graduate September 30th. I have an appointment at the end of July with the surgeon. The scheduler remembered me and said she was so impressed because most people drop out of the program. I only have 3 more phone calls!!!

I think NS is Nova Scotia. It's unfortunately the same situation in NL (Newfoundland). I've been on the wait list for 2 years. When I called up a month ago I was told it would be another two years before I was scheduled for the orientation session and 5-7 years before surgery. They don't prioritize patients - it just goes by the date of you referral. There's just 1 surgeon here too and he does less than 100 surgeries a year but there are over 900 ppl on the wait list. It's pretty disgusting :( So...... Tijuana here I come! July 13.

I find it so interesting how everyone's experience is so different. I am wondering if it is the insurance company or the surgeons practice. Someone had mentioned that making you wait and document your weight for 6 months may make some give up and then ins doesn't have to pay for surgery... It wouldn't surprise me seeing a table of fat cats sitting around making decisions on how to save money. :/

I find it so interesting how everyone's experience is so different. I am wondering if it is the insurance company or the surgeons practice. Someone had mentioned that making you wait and document your weight for 6 months may make some give up and then ins doesn't have to pay for surgery... It wouldn't surprise me seeing a table of fat cats sitting around making decisions on how to save money. :/

Well, my insurance, Blue Shield of California, dropped their six month requirement as of July 1, 2015. I already "did my time" and had my approval before the end of June. My surgery is in August because my surgeon is booked that far out. And he's doing mine on a Saturday.

I have empire blue cross blue shield (NY) and I was told the 6 month wait was new starting January 2015. There wasn't a wait previously. I suppose they are different but I will give s call and find out. Thanks for the info and I wish you well!

The 6 month wait is made by the insurance companies, not the surgeons. I believe it is not to save money, but to see who can withstand the change in lifestyle. They do not want to spend the money on someone who will give up, as this is only a tool and not a miracle cure. There are people that cannot make the full 6 months, and if they can't, they definitely will not be able to hold on for life. It's a perfect time to prepare and to work on the mental and physical aspects of a lifestyle change. Changing your diet, mindful eating, etc.

I have empire blue cross blue shield (NY) and I was told the 6 month wait was new starting January 2015. There wasn't a wait previously. I suppose they are different but I will give s call and find out. Thanks for the info and I wish you well!

Blue Shield of California is owned by California Physicians Services (the 1099 we get from them at the end of the year says "California Physicians Services dba Blue Shield of California"). It was originally created by the California Medical Association.

Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield is still owned by Wellpoint, I think. In any case, two entirely different companies who share a name and usually have a reciprocal agreement to use each other's panels of doctors.

Mine was supposed to only be 3 months but due to certain doctors not taking my insurance and being overloaded on appointments, mine has taken about 5 months. But I'm down 45 lbs total, instead of the 25 they originally asked for lol

Take one step at a time. It gets easier to make each healthy choice, so just pace yourself. Good luck!

Mine was supposed to only be 3 months but due to certain doctors not taking my insurance and being overloaded on appointments, mine has taken about 5 months. But I'm down 45 lbs total, instead of the 25 they originally asked for lol

Take one step at a time. It gets easier to make each healthy choice, so just pace yourself. Good luck!

Thanks so much! Yes I am trying to do the best I can :)

I knew going into the program that my insurance required 6 months of the being followed by a NUT etc. But honestly, I'm glad. It has given me 6 months of time to make sure I can do this...and make sure it was not a "rash" decision for me. My 6 months were up this week, and I chose to wait another month due to vacation. I didn't want to be going to the beach and dealing with all the changes to my body and diet during that time. Not to sound discouraging, but it really went by so slow for me because I do not have any serious health issues except a little high blood pressure, but not bad...so it seemed like time was dragging by. However, it did take me 6 months to realize that what I had been eating before was total crap and I've learned to eat PROTIEN and the right kind and amount of protien....and that this whole thing is a journey!

Having gone through an extended approval process myself (took a year),and now just weeks away from surgery, my biggest hope is that someday there will be a standardization of the hoops wls candidates have to undergo.

They are so vastly different and confusing now, with no two alike, that I'm sure there are some people who just end up giving up. And that is so sad.

Having gone through an extended approval process myself (took a year),and now just weeks away from surgery, my biggest hope is that someday there will be a standardization of the hoops wls candidates have to undergo.

They are so vastly different and confusing now, with no two alike, that I'm sure there are some people who just end up giving up. And that is so sad.

There has only been one other person I've read about having a one year "hoop" on this board! I think there should be one set standard!!!! A year is a long time---if it is medically necessary, provide the required info and keep going! I asked my "coach" provided/required by my insurance, "how many people have life changing weight loss after having 20-30 minute phone conferences once a month for 12 months AND no longer need the surgery?" She referred me to BCBS. ????

Edited by linzlou2000

YES, I agree, I spoke to a friend who had surgery just a few months ago who didn't do same program as I did and she has already gained most of her weight back due to not taking Vitamins, eating properly etc. I don't think she was well informed of anything, I'm glad mine took almost 6 months. I learned so much more by thoroughly going through the workbook my nutritionist gave me and general research I did whenever I had random questions up until I found this app. Take the time to go through it the right way so that it sinks in properly and your body won't go into shock from lack of *insert your comfort food here* (mine is fudge frosting apparently, I found that out 3 months into the program when I kept buying it for no reason lol)

Not only a standardization of hoops but also of what the post op diet is that must be followed.Based on my research every Dr has a different plan. For example My Dr says week 3 should be one egg only and what I had for the first 2 weeks. I do not see anyone else that was required to eat only one egg. By week 3 I have seen people are eating pureed foods.