Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I waited 11 years to get an appt with the WLS clinic. When I finally did I was told to lose 10-20 lbs; I lost 15 lbs and was then told to follow a 3 month program and lose more .... took 5 months to get back in and then was finally told I'm approved after losing a total of 25 lbs. Here in NS we have 1 surgeon who does the WLS and he only does 1 of these surgeries a week. After 12 years I will finally get my surgery.

I am in the same boat. I started March 1st - have to have 6 months of monthly NUT visits, sleep study, psych eval. Plus the program I am in requires attendance of 6 modules. I've finished everything except still have 2 more NUT visits. On Aug 19th I'll be officially done with what I need to do before they can submit to the insurance co. At first I was REALLY bummed. Now I am actually happy because I realize that I needed all this time to prepare. I have done so much research that I am now positive that the sleeve is the right decision for me (but the lap band or bypass might be the right decision for someone else) I also immediately gave up soda, caffeine, and alcohol....urhh...that was hard but I haven't had any since March 1st! The best think yet is that I have dropped over 38 pounds. Each pound will get me quicker to my goal and make my surgery a little safer. We are all so lucky to have this format to support each other. This will seem like such a short time when we look back on it. Good luck!

I am in the same boat. I started March 1st - have to have 6 months of monthly NUT visits, sleep study, psych eval. Plus the program I am in requires attendance of 6 modules. I've finished everything except still have 2 more NUT visits. On Aug 19th I'll be officially done with what I need to do before they can submit to the insurance co. At first I was REALLY bummed. Now I am actually happy because I realize that I needed all this time to prepare. I have done so much research that I am now positive that the sleeve is the right decision for me (but the lap band or bypass might be the right decision for someone else) I also immediately gave up soda, caffeine, and alcohol....urhh...that was hard but I haven't had any since March 1st! The best think yet is that I have dropped over 38 pounds. Each pound will get me quicker to my goal and make my surgery a little safer. We are all so lucky to have this format to support each other. This will seem like such a short time when we look back on it. Good luck!

Bless your heart! That's great. Today was day 1 of healthy eating. I am worried I will go home and binge. That's my pattern. But I have to fight because I am slowly killing myself and I have so much to live for !!! I started using my fitness pal and I love it. I am so grateful for all of you. This is such a supportive environment.

Yea the 6month was annoying, varies by insurance. But it flys are you do pre op stuff. I was finished with everything in a month n a half. All i have left are the dr appts.

I did the pulmonary, blood work, psych, abdominal sonogram, nut consult., h. Pylori test. I still have a laundry list of things to get done. None of them difficult to do. It's all good. I love these boards and I know it's going to be a great ride :)

I did the pulmonary, blood work, psych, abdominal sonogram, nut consult., h. Pylori test. I still have a laundry list of things to get done. None of them difficult to do. It's all good. I love these boards and I know it's going to be a great ride :)

you got it pace yourself, we're. All in the say thing

I only had to do a 90 day medically supervised weight loss program. My consultation was on January 6th and my surgery is scheduled for 7/29. I thought the process would be a lot faster than it has been but there were little delays here and there that I didn't anticipate. But I will say that it did go by fast.

Edited by majorsmama

I went to the WL Dr on June 17th. He told me I also had to do a 6 month supervised diet yet he didn't give me a diet. I had been following NS on my own for a year started at 390 and had lost only 44 pounds . The DR told me the NUT was not available the day I was there and to continue to follow the NS program.

This past Monday I saw the NUT. She asked me a bunch of questions about my previous diets and my physical limitations. She then explained the post op diet I would have to follow after surgery which will not be until 2016. When she asked if there were any questions I said yes what diet am I suppose to be following for the supervised 6 months. She asked me what diet the Dr gave me and I told her he told me to continue with NS. Well then that is what you follow. I told her I wasn't happy as it wasn't giving me good results and I was expecting another diet from her. She asked me if I wanted the surgery and when I said yes then being on NS will prove to the insurance you have difficulty losing weight.

This attitude of the NUT and the surgeon is not sitting well with me. I personally feel NS is too high in carbs for me as in addition to their foods they want me to eat 5 additional carbs. I think on my own I will reduce that down to 1 carb per day as I really would like to lose more weight before the surgery.

What pre op 6 month supervised diet are you all on?

Had my pre-insurance testing today. Only to find out I have to have supervised weigh ins for 6 months. I was a little down. I also have to lose some weight but they didn't tell me how much yet. I am thinking positive that this will help me in the long run to be successful with surgery. But I still feel down. Anyone else go through this?

Yeah, for my insurance I needed to go to the doctor for 6 months straight and have to meet with a psychologist and nutritionist once. There was no need to lose weight per se, but they put you on a very strict pre op diet so that you lose weight. I lost 32 pounds on the pre op diet.

What is NS?

Sorry Ns is Nutrisystem

Had my pre-insurance testing today. Only to find out I have to have supervised weigh ins for 6 months. I was a little down. I also have to lose some weight but they didn't tell me how much yet. I am thinking positive that this will help me in the long run to be successful with surgery. But I still feel down. Anyone else go through this?

Yeah, for my insurance I needed to go to the doctor for 6 months straight and have to meet with a psychologist and nutritionist once. There was no need to lose weight per se, but they put you on a very strict pre op diet so that you lose weight. I lost 32 pounds on the pre op diet.

Yes but that preop diet was just before the surgery wasn't it? You were not on that diet for the 6 months supervised time were you? 32 pounds in what time frame?

I just started a high Protein low carb diet as suggested by the NUT. I am using my fitness pal to track everything. I would never use nutrisystem only if my life depended on it. I tried it for one day and send it back for a refund. I would suggest to follow same. After surgery we will all have to eat that way so it only makes sense for the next 6 months to do so.

Hi Snapdragon05. I just joined the forum and also doing the 6-month diet until November. I'm going to Weight Watchers (again), and having a hard time staying motivated. I did the same thing with NutriSystem. That stuff is awful! Good luck.

I had to have six months of "a supervised weight loss program with monthly visits". I did the visits with my primary care doctor. Weight loss was not required; just documentation that we discussed eating, exercise, etc.