Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

post sleevers: how long before your weight loss halted?

hello! I'm 9 months post sleeve and have lost almost 80 lbs, and very happy with my progress, but my weight loss has all but halted the last month or two. My doctor said that after the first 6 months this happens, but I am didn't think it would slow down THIS MUCH!

I have not started exercising or anything like that, I know that would help, just wondering if other people are going through this and/or what advice you have to offer regarding it!

THANK YOU

Here's how my monthly post-op weight losses went (I also lost 20 pounds pre-op):

Month 1 10.4 lbs

Month 2 11.8 lbs

Month 3 9.2 lbs

Month 4 10.4 lbs

Month 5 6.8 lbs

Month 6 5.0 lbs

Month 7 6.2 lbs

Month 8 4.4 lbs (reached goal this month of 150)

Month 9 3.8 lbs

Based on where I am now and my current weight loss rate, my guess is that in Month 10 I’ll show a net loss of 2.0 pounds and then stop losing.

That would put me at a total weight loss of 90 pounds. I would be quite comfy at a "bounce range" of 145-150 pounds. I could maintain comfortably (at 1,600 - 1,700 calories/day) at that weight.

My weight loss halted -- temporarily -- because I was eating too much and eating the wrong kind of food. I kicked myself back into gear and am losing weight again, at two years out. And losing at a pretty good clip, too. I don't think it's the number of months out that matters, it matters what you are eating and how much of it. People, including me, tend to get lax after a while. For me that was about a year out. But the good news is that my tool is still there and it works properly when I treat it with respect.

Don't forget that as you get smaller, it takes fewer calories to sustain your body. So you will need to decrease your calorie intake even more to maintain the same level of caloric deficit. If you aren't losing weight, do a brutally honest assessment of everything you are eating and make any necessary adjustments.

@@Bufflehead ... that's great that you're losing weight again after two years post-op. I have read many posts / threads in which people that far out are struggling to get the scale moving down again.

Congrats.

I'm. Eleven months out and had been losing three pounds a month for the last couple of months. I realized that I had been letting my carbs sneak up to around 140 a day, brought them back to between ninety and 100 and lost three pounds this past week.

So look at what you are eating.

I'll be 1 year out tomorrow and starting at about 8 months, my loss became really, really slow- sometimes losing and gaining the same 2 lbs for weeks. I took a hard look and realized that although my carbs were still low, I had become lazy about getting my Protein in. I've never exercised much, but now I've started walking for 30 minutes before work and during lunch. Between the increased protein and the added exercise, things are looking better. I've lost 2lbs per week for the past 5 weeks and hope it will continue for a while. I know to reach goal I'll need to get more serious about exercise and it has always been an issue for me to find the energy and motivation!

I am satisfied with my current weight, but I am still losing though much more slowly, last month it was like 3lbs. Frankly I have stopped counting days of weeks since reaching 155Lbs.

I'm about ten months out and still losing, I've had stalls and a couple of slow winter months, but averaging about 4-5 lbs./month. Definitely start getting some exercise, and take a look at your calorie composition every now and then, I use Sparkpeople. Log what you eat for a week or two, you may discover your own problem. My demon is snacking, if I'm not careful, I see it on the scale. You can do it!

I would say my weight loss leveled out just recently (22 months out) and at my "dream goal weight". However, at about 7 or 8 months post op the "falling off" of the weight that I experienced up until then slowed wayyyyy down. At that point I had lost about 130 pounds, so I wasn't upset about it, and I reached my first goal weight (145 pounds), but I kept working at it. Over the past months since then the weight loss has felt turtle-slow, but I was ordering a dress online the other day and I needed my measurements for it. I hadn't taken my measurements since my weight slowed and I reached my first goal back at 7-8 months post op. Much to my surprise, even though it feels painfully slow, I lost an additional 19 pounds and 22 inches by just keeping at it.

So yes, it will slow down at a certain point around 7,8,. 9 months post op. But that doesn't mean you won't lose anymore. It just is a bit harder and you have to add in exercise if you haven't already and be really good about what you are eating.

I'm glad to be reading this topic and responses . . . I'm 10 months out, lost 85 lbs. total and feel great. Weight loss is at a dead stand still. BUT . . .the hair loss has stopped :) I've found that I've become lazy about food journaling, and I can't do that. I've also let carbs slowly creep back in and I can't do that. I've noticed that I'm not getting as much Water in. I have to remind myself that it took me a long time to get obese . . . it's going to take a long time to undo the "head harm" I've done.

We can do this!