Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I'm a newbie, I'm really glad I found this website, there is a ton of information here. I'm posting a thread here so that someone could help me.

I'm 5'11, about 214 pounds (not too overweight, I have some areas where there is fat), I visited a reputed doctor in India for liposuction of my buttocks, inner thighs, stomach and chest. He is also a bariatric surgeon. He looked at my body and suggested me a full body liposuction but he said I would benefit more from the gastric sleeve. I didn't even know what gastric sleeve was at that time. He told me about it and I didn't even think too much (I recently went through a breakup and my marriage has been called off) I was in agony, without too much thinking I said YES to gastric sleeve to be performed the next morning.

I got admitted and he gave me a Protein shake that night, and told me a nurse would wake me up the next day and prepare me for the surgery. The next day (23 May 2015) everything went as planned and when I came to my senses the surgery was already done and he said it was a success, and I would have to stay in the hospital for 4 days. First post op day, I was on IV the whole day (saline solution). The next day doctor came to my room and told me to take 1-2 oz of water/coconut water/vegetable broth every 30-45 mins for the next 5 days. He also prepared me a diet plan for the next 30 days starting with clear liquid diet, then soft fruits, then pureed foods eventually to my regular diet after about 5 weeks.

It's been 8 days now, I have lost 14 lbs so far (I'm at 200 lbs) I'm not feeling hungry at all, I'm still on the clear liquid diet.

Now I'm regretting that I took the decision in haste because of my breakup, I feel like I could lose my excess weight (30 lbs) with clean diet and exercise without having to go to an extent of cutting an organ. It worries me that what I have done is irreversible. I eat out a lot with my friends, I'm worried what my friends would think if I just eat 3 oz of food at a restaurant and cannot finish the plate :(

I'm a big time foodie, I could eat a large pizza hut pizza+ 2L coke+ the big chocolate chip cookie dipped in icing in one sitting. :-) I'm not proud of it, but food makes me happy. I'm not that overweight too. (30 lbs is not too much) When the doctor told me after postop that I could no longer eat more than a slice of pizza, I was almost in tears.

I feel like I have made a biggest mistake of my life and it is not rectifiable.

I would feel bit happy if I could eat 50-60% of what I used to eat pre-op? May be this may not happen immediately because I read the sleeve would take about 6 months to heal. Can I eat that amount after 1 year atleast?

If that is not the case, can I start eating little bit more than what my doctor had advised so that it would cause my sleeve to stretch and I could eat more in 1 year time frame.

I really don't need any therapy, I'm just someone who loves food.

Everyone on this forum is worried about stretching their sleeve, I'm on the other hand want to strectch my sleeve so that I could eat a reasonable amount of food after 1 year. SO IRONIC.

Please chip in your thoughts !!

Edited by srini88

I am so sorry you were rushed into this surgery without preparation. It is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge and I was able to prepare over a year's time. Many people, especially in the US, go through at least a 3-6 month process that includes education on nutrition, visits with a psychologist, pre-op testing, etc. By the time surgery rolls around, we are fairly well prepared and yet many people still go through moments of regret right after surgery.

While you may think things are dire now, I would suggest you take a big breath and slow down.

First, contrary to what you have heard, since the surgeon removed the stretchy part of your stomach it will not stretch very much. What you need to be most concerned with right now is making sure you heal safely and if you start trying to "stretch" your sleeve you could really hurt yourself.

Second, I would recommend you learn as much as you can about what you need to do to be healthy and heal properly.

Third, I would suggest you make an appointment with a counselor or therapist because you have just undergone a traumatic change without any tools to help you cope, and if you are like many of us, your biggest coping mechanism (food) is no longer available to you.

Are you still breathing?

For now, follow your surgeon's post-op instructions which should include a plan for transitioning from Clear liquids, to full liquids, to soft foods, etc. You should also be trying to get enough Protein (60-100+grams depending on your starting weight), walking (to relieve gas pain and forget DVTs), and staying hydrated (aim for 64 oz + of fluid).

Keep us posted in how you are doing. Although this was a sudden change for you, you can still make the most out of it and may eventually be pleased with your results.

It wasn't entirely your fault you were pushed into it, informed consent and education are the basis for this and any procedure, also they didn't give you a period of adjustment, I takes prep to even get ready for surgery, depending on who the surgeon is it can be anywhere between 10days and as high as 18, mine is 14 days, I am a foodie also but after doing my research realized it is possible to treat yourself once in awhile, although it is very important that your psyche is healthy, lots of people make a common mistake in treating themselves, they reason that it can be done more frequently, then before they know it they are back to square one, instead you must have an Iron clad rule that if you decide to "cheat" then you set aside one day a month, then you still can't overindulge or you will pay for it, if you are willing to take the time to the the work, there are websites that offer great recipes and substitutions, even pizza, also I hope they covered the fact that Vitamins and Protein are very important, so if you go to the pizza place with your friends then you choose an alternative, but once in awhile have slice, but watch what topping and how much, I know for myself that after my surgery and recovery if I want a piece of chocolate cake then I will take a bite out of my wife's and be content with that, and not frequently either, good luck on your journey, and remember no matter what culture, a friend is someone who understands why you do what you do and doesn't question it if it has been explained once, Namaste my friend

I'm so sorry you are having theses feelings right now. All things in life are only temporary. I hope in 6 months time when you've lost that 30lbs, plus probably a lot more, you may be happy with the decision. It's unfortunate that your DR took advantage of your situation. This is a huge, life changing surgery and it's not anything to rush into. The good news for you if you decide it is worth it, is that your stomach will stretch back out. However, I think once you get used to "normal" portion sizes you may wonder why you ever ate all that food before, when just a taste is enough most of the time. Good luck my friend.

I think a lot of doctors these days are doing wls and not following all the rules regarding bmi

I'm sorry that you regretted your op. And I hope you appreciate it down the road. I am food addict as well it's just last week I was able to eat 2 sandwiches + fries + coke today I finish my 1 week of Clear Liquids post-op and I can't be much happier. U r not that overweight to start with but at least now you can't go down the road of obesity which is ugly. So please be happy for that and half a meal is good ur friends will understand you eventually plus the happiness is not in food but in being round the same table with them.

Try not to stress. Sorry you didn't get to prepare for this. There are some people who find ways to eat a lot in small portions throughout the day and gain a lot back. Hopefully you won't want to do this. As a foodie, you can still enjoy many things but in small portions. Most important is that you mostly sick to a Protein first approach. I love not feeling hungry and am able to make better choices because I'm not being controlled by my stomach brain. With that, my head brain sometimes wants to eat for no reason. Something I will have to learn to overconfident. I'm very happy to have this surgery and I think when you take off some weight, you will feel to good to overindulge. You have a low bmi and hopefully you won't have saggy skin. I think weight training might be your new indulgence. As you shed fat, you can tone and define what you initially wanted corrected in the first place. Relax and use this tool and I wish you the best!

google Dr Matthew Weiner he has a video that tells you the progression of how much food you will be able to eat over a period of a year. Please follow your food plan so you staple line has time to heal properly and you don't hurt yourself. I am not sure how much teaching the dr did with you but make sure you follow the Vitamin requirements or you can end up with medical issues.

I am so sorry you were rushed into this surgery without preparation. It is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge and I was able to prepare over a year's time. Many people, especially in the US, go through at least a 3-6 month process that includes education on nutrition, visits with a psychologist, pre-op testing, etc. By the time surgery rolls around, we are fairly well prepared and yet many people still go through moments of regret right after surgery.

While you may think things are dire now, I would suggest you take a big breath and slow down.

First, contrary to what you have heard, since the surgeon removed the stretchy part of your stomach it will not stretch very much. What you need to be most concerned with right now is making sure you heal safely and if you start trying to "stretch" your sleeve you could really hurt yourself.

Second, I would recommend you learn as much as you can about what you need to do to be healthy and heal properly.

Third, I would suggest you make an appointment with a counselor or therapist because you have just undergone a traumatic change without any tools to help you cope, and if you are like many of us, your biggest coping mechanism (food) is no longer available to you.

Are you still breathing?

For now, follow your surgeon's post-op instructions which should include a plan for transitioning from clear liquids, to full liquids, to soft foods, etc. You should also be trying to get enough Protein (60-100+grams depending on your starting weight), walking (to relieve gas pain and forget DVTs), and staying hydrated (aim for 64 oz + of fluid).

Keep us posted in how you are doing. Although this was a sudden change for you, you can still make the most out of it and may eventually be pleased with your results.

Dear Inner Surfer girl, thanks for your kind words. I know in one day my life has been changed, but there is nothing I can do about it. I keep looking at the photos taken on my mobile before my surgery, and wish I could go back in time. :(

I'm getting about 50 grams of Protein everyday, I don't know I'm not hungry at all. My doctor gave me some biotin+BComplex+Zinc+Multivitamin tablets, I'm taking those. I'm drinking about 16 oz of fresh coconut Water everyday. Sure I will keep you posted.

It wasn't entirely your fault you were pushed into it, informed consent and education are the basis for this and any procedure, also they didn't give you a period of adjustment, I takes prep to even get ready for surgery, depending on who the surgeon is it can be anywhere between 10days and as high as 18, mine is 14 days, I am a foodie also but after doing my research realized it is possible to treat yourself once in awhile, although it is very important that your psyche is healthy, lots of people make a common mistake in treating themselves, they reason that it can be done more frequently, then before they know it they are back to square one, instead you must have an Iron clad rule that if you decide to "cheat" then you set aside one day a month, then you still can't overindulge or you will pay for it, if you are willing to take the time to the the work, there are websites that offer great recipes and substitutions, even pizza, also I hope they covered the fact that Vitamins and Protein are very important, so if you go to the pizza place with your friends then you choose an alternative, but once in awhile have slice, but watch what topping and how much, I know for myself that after my surgery and recovery if I want a piece of chocolate cake then I will take a bite out of my wife's and be content with that, and not frequently either, good luck on your journey, and remember no matter what culture, a friend is someone who understands why you do what you do and doesn't question it if it has been explained once, Namaste my friend

I really don't blame the surgeon, it was my fault, I was despair and hopeless at that stage went ahead with the surgery. I'm bit happy about 14 pounds I lost in 6 days. :) Sure I will restrict my cheat days and try not to overindulge myself, will watch what I'm eating.

I'm wondering if you have to tell about the surgery to your significant other? can I get away by not telling about it? Can I say that I'm just on a diet? and eat little bit more as time progresses.

Namaste.

I'm so sorry you are having theses feelings right now. All things in life are only temporary. I hope in 6 months time when you've lost that 30lbs, plus probably a lot more, you may be happy with the decision. It's unfortunate that your DR took advantage of your situation. This is a huge, life changing surgery and it's not anything to rush into. The good news for you if you decide it is worth it, is that your stomach will stretch back out. However, I think once you get used to "normal" portion sizes you may wonder why you ever ate all that food before, when just a taste is enough most of the time. Good luck my friend.

Congrats on losing 142 pounds. Great achievement. Hope I get that kind of mindset where I will be happy eating a mere 3-4 oz of food. Hopefully things will change in the future and I could eat a footlong subway veggie sandwich :(

I think a lot of doctors these days are doing wls and not following all the rules regarding bmi

Yeah I think so, Its pretty common in India to make money out of these. I paid almost $4k out of pocket and it is not covered by insurance.

I'm sorry that you regretted your op. And I hope you appreciate it down the road. I am food addict as well it's just last week I was able to eat 2 sandwiches + fries + coke today I finish my 1 week of Clear liquids post-op and I can't be much happier. U r not that overweight to start with but at least now you can't go down the road of obesity which is ugly. So please be happy for that and half a meal is good ur friends will understand you eventually plus the happiness is not in food but in being round the same table with them.

Thanks for your words. I'm really happy that you could eat 2 sandwiches. :) How many days post op are you in? How much weight did you lose so far? I know happiness is not in the food but being with the people, It's kind of hard for me to digest that fact.

Try not to stress. Sorry you didn't get to prepare for this. There are some people who find ways to eat a lot in small portions throughout the day and gain a lot back. Hopefully you won't want to do this. As a foodie, you can still enjoy many things but in small portions. Most important is that you mostly sick to a Protein first approach. I love not feeling hungry and am able to make better choices because I'm not being controlled by my stomach brain. With that, my head brain sometimes wants to eat for no reason. Something I will have to learn to overconfident. I'm very happy to have this surgery and I think when you take off some weight, you will feel to good to overindulge. You have a low bmi and hopefully you won't have saggy skin. I think weight training might be your new indulgence. As you shed fat, you can tone and define what you initially wanted corrected in the first place. Relax and use this tool and I wish you the best!

thank you, you gave me good amount of hope. I'm not the kind of person who grazes all day, I usually eat 3-4 meals in a day. Now they will be much smaller. My doctor told me to get atleast 90+ grams of Protein per day, I will stick to it.

Hopefully i dont get saggy skin around my thighs (I have bigger thighs - I always wanted to fit in skinny jeans). After couple of months, I will work out with a trainer and hopefully get a 6 pack with my sleeve :D

I have read if people get back to their old eating habits, they could definitely stretch their sleeve, may be it wont be as big as pre-op but still it can stretch a good amount. That's why there are people who get re-sleeves.