Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I scanned and emailed the copy of the cashier's check for my remaining balance yesterday and then I received all my final confirmation emails with my itinerary and whatnot. This is really happening!

When is your date? :) I'm getting my cashiers check now, pheeww.

I'm off to the bank tomorrow..... Holy sh*t

When is your date? :) I'm getting my cashiers check now, pheeww.

September 1, same as Swee_dee.

I am also thinking about using Elias Ortiz in TJ at the end of September - perhaps 29th if its available.

I wasnt impressed by LIghterme's website and if it wasnt for the high recommendations on this forum thread, I dont think I would use Lighterme.

I guess I am wondering why the cost of using Elias Ortiz is HALF of some of the other surgeons like Alvarez or Wilhelmy. I am thinking it must be because of a shorter stay in the hospital/clinic and more time in the hotel.

Can someone clarify for me how many nights are in the clinic and how many are in the hotel?

I am a "low bmi'er" with a BMI of about 36.

I perhaps foolishly had a Tummy Tuck earlier this year before WLS. I never thought I was a candidate for WLS, but I see now that its really what I need, not liposuction! I am going to see my plastic surgeon on monday to see if he thinks there would be any complications for having WLS after TT.

I'm off to Dr. E. Ortiz Sept 14, and he's two nights in the hospital/clinic, and two nights in the hotel.  I'm a 35 BMI, and started thinking abou this when I was a 33 BMI and wish I would have done it before I gained an extra 45 pounds. I'm going alone, and I'm from Alberta, Canada.  Good luck with your decission.

I am also thinking about using Elias Ortiz in TJ at the end of September - perhaps 29th if its available. I wasnt impressed by LIghterme's website and if it wasnt for the high recommendations on this forum thread, I dont think I would use Lighterme. I guess I am wondering why the cost of using Elias Ortiz is HALF of some of the other surgeons like Alvarez or Wilhelmy. I am thinking it must be because of a shorter stay in the hospital/clinic and more time in the hotel. Can someone clarify for me how many nights are in the clinic and how many are in the hotel? I am a "low bmi'er" with a BMI of about 36. I perhaps foolishly had a Tummy Tuck earlier this year before WLS. I never thought I was a candidate for WLS, but I see now that its really what I need, not liposuction! I am going to see my plastic surgeon on monday to see if he thinks there would be any complications for having WLS after TT.

I had surgery with Dr Ortiz January 31, 2014. I had a mid-30's BMI too. I had a tummy tuck 5 years ago. My results are fantastic! I have lost 58 lbs and my stomach is flat and awesome! Due to the previous surgery, Dr Ortiz did not make an incision in my belly button.

I don't believe that you have to pay 6-8 thousand dollars to have a great VSG result. I paid $4400 which included 5 nights; 1 in hotel night before, 2 in hospital (not clinic) post-op, 2 more in hotel. I researched other doctors prior to my surgery and I do not recall any other dr keeping you longer in hospital or hotel than Dr Ortiz.

He is truly a very caring, talented, excellent surgeon. He used to work under another surgeon who charged more and paid Dr Ortiz less, and the other surgeon took credit for the number of surgeries. Even at his lower price, Dr Ortiz is making more money being on his own than previously. Another factor that affects pricing is contract negotiations with hotel and hospital from weight loss company. A Lighter Me may possibly have better pricing from better contract negotiations.

All I know is that I am very happy with my decision to have had the surgery through ALM and Dr Ortiz. I am now consulting with my plastic surgeon for a lift and breast implants. That surgery will cost a couple thousand more than my VSG.

I wish you the best. Feel free to private message me if you have other questions.

So I have spent the past few months researching this surgery and several different doctors.  I can honestly say that this website and all of the AMAZING people on this particular thread have helped me with this decision.  That being said... I have paid my deposit!!!  I am going to the amazing OCC!!  The deposit is nonrefundable so it looks like I’m going through with it!  The reality of it hasn’t really hit yet.  This is literally life changing.  But to be honest I’m terrified.  I’m not scared of the surgery.  That doesn’t bother me at all.  It’s life after the surgery that scares me.  How do I do “thin” or smaller in general?  I’ve always been the thick or big girl.  I know how to act and how to expect others to act when I'm big.  So after this surgery when I lose a bunch of this excess baggage how do I adjust?  Is anyone else scared of who you’ll become after surgery?   

Better than normal - a new normal, I'd say. At first, I guess it's kinda like going through a crisis, because your whole world gets turned upside down and of course we all gravitate towards what makes us feel comfortable and the way things have always been. But your body and your mind adapt over time, and you will start to feel so great and start to do so many things that you've always wished you could, but maybe couldn't because you were obese, or because you were afraid. Once those new victories start happening (and they will) you just won't regret the decision of surgery, no matter what. This is truly a second beginning. It's the best gift you wll ever give yourself.

Last week was very difficult for me, I felt constantly hungry just at the idea of the preop diet and kept on thinking about "food funerals" i guess, but I feel good I stopped myself. I've been cutting down my caffeine intake, and sticking to the preop diet, silly me realized that food isn't going anywhere, and my priority is where it should be, focusing on my health and not my mental appetite.

I really do appreciate your post, makes me feel more confident/excited and easier to stick to the preop diet.

One of my coworkers has had this surgery done and he looks great, he is two years out, he can eat whatever he wants, just in the appropiate portions that allows him to maintain a stable healthy weight.:)

So I have spent the past few months researching this surgery and several different doctors.  I can honestly say that this website and all of the AMAZING people on this particular thread have helped me with this decision.  That being said... I have paid my deposit!!!  I am going to the amazing OCC!!  The deposit is nonrefundable so it looks like I’m going through with it!  The reality of it hasn’t really hit yet.  This is literally life changing.  But to be honest I’m terrified.  I’m not scared of the surgery.  That doesn’t bother me at all.  It’s life after the surgery that scares me.  How do I do “thin” or smaller in general?  I’ve always been the thick or big girl.  I know how to act and how to expect others to act when I'm big.  So after this surgery when I lose a bunch of this excess baggage how do I adjust?  Is anyone else scared of who you’ll become after surgery?   

Congratulations!! It didn't hit me either after I sent the deposit, I am honestly only feeling it now that the date is getting closer and I am organizing all my supplements and nutrition information.

I've been heavy for the past 7 years, the last time I lost weight through strict dieting/exercise, while I was still nearly 30 lbs over my goal weight, I felt so happy.

I don't expect to be a fast loser, I expect to hit plateaus, except this time I know I will finally be able to push through them.

I am seeing this doctor Sept 27, 2014 if a few more variables fall into place.

Thanks Lighterme2014 I appreciate your helpful feedback. I am 95% sure I am going with Elias Ortiz for Sept 27 (thats a Saturday!). I just want a green light from my TT surgeon, who I am seeing tomorrow. Ill be going solo and Im telling very very few people. I do hope I can "friend up" with someone from here ahead of time!

post-170238-0-11292800-1408928825_thumb.png

Dr. Elias Ortiz did my surgery on March 19th 2013. I'm now down a 146 pounds as of today. One of da best decisions dat I've ever made. Before I was 277 n now I'm 131. Dr. Elias Ortiz n staff treated me well while my stay in Mexico n I would recommend him to everyone considerating having dis procedure done.

post-170238-0-59822200-1408929233_thumb.png

Before/ After. 277/ 131. Dr. Elias Ortiz did my surgery on March 19th 2013. Everything went well n I have no regrets. Da staff treated me very nice while I was there. I was recommend him to anyone who is considering having da surgery

Have tried to follow the numerous threads in reference to these two drs. I believe both are good candidates for my daughter's sleeve surgery. I am a bit confused and cannot seem to make the decision between the two. If you went with either of these drs can you tell me why you chose your dr? Can you describe the experience while you were in Mexico? Did you feel your surgery was what you expected and are you happy with the post op results? Did you choose the dr because of price? What was the final cost... Were there any hidden expenses. Was the hospital quality experiance? How many days in the hospital? How many days in the hotel? Coordinator helpful through out your entire stay. Honestly we had chosen dr Illan, but with the very negative comments regarding Omar, we cancelled our July 22 surgery date and are back to square one! Your feedback will help us make our choice.