Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Hi everyone! I'm still working my way through this whole thread (up to page 83!), but I decided to go ahead and post, because I feel like maybe I made a decision today that I really am going to do this and NOW the stress just switched right on! I didn't want my decision to be based on cost, because I wanted to decide whether or not to have the surgery for the RIGHT reasons, but I feel like now that I think I've decided I really am going to do it, I've immediately started to stress about money. OCC is definitely not the cheapest option. When I first started considering gastric sleeve, I contacted my former plastic surgeon in Tijuana (had some plastics done after I lost 90 pounds back in 2011, but I've put the weight back on now) and she recommended a surgeon that offers a package for $5500. In fact, she and her patient coordinator both got sleeved by him in 2012. So it's very tempting to go with him because of the lower price tag and the fact that I put a LOT of faith in my plastic surgeon's opinion. I adore her! But reading this thread and researching the media coverage, credentials, and patient reviews for OCC, it's kind of overwhelmingly evident that I can't go wrong with OCC. Plus the doctor my plastic surgeon recommended doesn't speak English, so I would be HEAVILY reliant on the patient coordinator for translation. So I guess right now I'm leaning toward OCC, despite the $1000 higher price tag. You'd think deciding to have the surgery at all would have been the hard part, but really it's just opened up a whole host of new decisions to be made!

Jamie I'm off to OCC for sept 1 too!!!!

Look for me, I'll be the one shaking in my boots!

@@Swee_dee Just back from OCC (surgery 8/1) no need to shake in your boots...unless your shaking your booty with excitement...Dr. Ortiz & everyone at OCC were wonderful!! The other ladies who were there having surgery the same time as me were great too...I have 3 brand new friends...I love them & can't wait to reunite with them!! My husband traveled with me under the agreement that if we got there & either of us had any hesitation we would leave...and since I am officially sleeved, you can know that there was none! When Dr. Ortiz came in pre-op he & my hubby got carried away talking about fishing...he was genuine as he appears in his videos, etc. he is very down to earth & honest about nutrition & the importance of nourishing ourselves...not just eating!! The nurses were nice & the other doctors were very professional!! Our recovery Dr. even brought me a Popsicle post-op...I mean what dr. has ever delivered Popsicles to patients!? You'll love OCC!! Best of luck & welcome to the family!!

Edited by ressa_t

HoosierGirl!!! So glad you posted. I was thinking about you the other day. So glad you're well. Love ya!!!

B2b78

I'm wondering, since I read you were a nurse, how you felt about the level of care, cleanliness and general skill level at OCC?

I'm concerned about this!

People FREAK when I mention Mexico!

@@Swee_dee Just back from OCC (surgery 8/1) no need to shake in your boots...unless your shaking your booty with excitement...Dr. Ortiz & everyone at OCC were wonderful!! The other ladies who were there having surgery the same time as me were great too...I have 3 brand new friends...I love them & can't wait to reunite with them!! My husband traveled with me under the agreement that if we got there & either of us had any hesitation we would leave...and since I am officially sleeved, you can know that there was none! When Dr. Ortiz came in pre-op he & my hubby got carried away talking about fishing...he was genuine as he appears in his videos, etc. he is very down to earth & honest about nutrition & the importance of nourishing ourselves...not just eating!! The nurses were nice & the other doctors were very professional!! Our recovery Dr. even brought me a Popsicle post-op...I mean what dr. has ever delivered Popsicles to patients!? You'll love OCC!! Best of luck & welcome to the family!!

Thanks Ressa!!!!

My fiancé and my cousin are coming with me to do it too! We can be afraid together :)

I'm glad you had a good experience !

Hi I got my sleeve on July 4th.an the Dr that was watching over us the night of my surgery held my hand an talked me down as I was feeling very sick. An my panic attacks were so bad. He did it twice through out the night. The staff were fabulous an the personal care was superb I highly recommend OCC. To everyone.

Thank You all

The OCC is extremely clean. An absolutely no worries there very provisional the care you get here at the OCC an at the Hotel Marrott. They were very happy an clean an if you need anything all you have to do is ask.

B2b78 I'm wondering, since I read you were a nurse, how you felt about the level of care, cleanliness and general skill level at OCC? I'm concerned about this! People FREAK when I mention Mexico!

I definitely was impressed by the surgical center. I had made a pact with my mom and dad that if anyone of us saw anything we didn't like or felt uneasy in any way that they would speak up and we would all get the hell out of there. They picked us up on time in San Diego and were very organized. They called me in my room to tell me when to leave on surgery day and called me a few times throughout the stay when things needed to be changed. They were very organized preop. Everyone sits together in the lobby and goes one by one to get labs drawn, your EKG, and weigh in and nutritionist consult. The private room was very clean and they had good cable (I watch I Love Lucy every day and watched my show the morning after surgery). Nothing looked worn or second hand and I'm super nit picky when it comes to cleanliness because I'm a bit of a germaphobe honestly. The wifi didn't work while I was there so I wasn't able to communicate with people back home until I got to the Marriott which wasn't a big deal anyway since both my parents were with me. The operating room was spotless- I'm not kidding it really was. I looked all around when I walked in. I really can appreciate that because I've been in many ORs that are overfilled with junk for multiple procedures that take place- this one was clean. They even have a hover air mat for transferring you easily from bed to bed and I've only worked at one hospital here that has that. The nurses were fine but their English was not as good as the Doctors but it was ok. I didn't have trouble communicating with anyone. One I think got perturbed with me because she wanted to give me some medicine to calm me down but I was totally calm so I didn't want to take it- I ultimately did because my mom said just take it :) I was impressed because my nurse looked super young and she got a huge IV in me on her first stick. I was still was a little scared before I went to the OCC but when I got there, I truly felt a calm come over me. I wanted to remain positive because I believe it's important to have a good outcome. I knew everything would be ok. There was a bit of waiting because they put you in order from easiest case to most difficult I believe once they evaluate everyone having surgery that day so there's no set time for your surgery. You hang out in your room watching TV until it's your turn then they take you to use the bathroom and to the OR you go! You won't see the surgeons in the OR- the anesthesiologist and the operative nurse will be there and that's standard in any OR- the surgeon is last person to go in after you're prepped. There were 2 nurses in the beginning after surgery but I think one nurse only throughout night. I was up every couple hours walking but I think most everyone else slept (all the doors to everyone's room are left open). It's weird- we became a little family. I will say some of the people in the group were annoyed that when they got back to OCC for dressing changes they had to wait. It didn't bother me though because seriously what else is there for me to do? All I was going to do is go back to the hotel and sleep anyway. I guess postop could have been more organized, but again I had nothing else to do but walk and eat Popsicles :) I didn't watch the cable at the hotel but I don't think it was great. I accessed my home TV on my computer. I will say when you first drive in its typical Tijuana- I'm not sure where you're from but Tijuana can be a bit unsettling when you drove around- people are very aggressive there like any other Mexican city you drive in. But when you get to the Marriott it's nice. All in all I was definitely impressed. I don't feel I got sub par care because I went to Mexico. I feel I picked the right surgeon for me- Dr Ortiz is not arrogant in any way shape or form. He's is super personable, energetic, and bubbly. I wasn't expecting him to be that way at all- he was way more serious in his videos. I found him to be genuine in his conversation. I believe he loves what he does. Being someone who's around MDs all day, they don't act like that girl!! It's rare. And BTW- you see my surgery was 10 months ago. People STILL freak out when I say I went to Mexico. It's understandable- people get nervous and I would've thought the same thing if someone I cared about told me they were going to a foreign country for surgery. You're going to get that even later after you've lost you're weight and your sitting right in front of them skinny and talking about it with everything ok :) Everyone knows someone who something bad happened to and you know what I say to that? Well I know tons of people who are doing amazing and I communicate with them on a regular basis! If you look on here there are almost 200 people who've been to OCC as patients. I didn't see any doctors in the states with that many patients you could communicate with. I stalked everyone on here I could looking for a reason not to go and I couldn't find one. Sorry for the long post :) I you have any other questions don't hesitate to message me :) So many people helped me on here with my decision and calming me down while I was freaking out preop so I definitely want to pay it forward. Ok I do have one major complaint about the OCC- those stupid paper underwear! My @$$ was too big for them and I had to go commando! They need bigger undies!

Edited by back2barb78

B2b78

I'm wondering, since I read you were a nurse, how you felt about the level of care, cleanliness and general skill level at OCC?

I'm concerned about this!

People FREAK when I mention Mexico!

I had mine the same day back2barb had hers. My sister and brother in law both had their sleeves at OCC. They researched it and I went because of their success. They are both doctors. One of the reasons they liked OCC, after all the information about the skill and experience of the doctors and staff, was that it was a clinic and not a hospital. Dr Ortiz has complete control over how it is run. there do nothing else there so you are never exposed to sick people and the kinds of germs that are in hospitals.

I had no problems at all. the surgery was the easiest part of the whole thing. learning to live with the sleeve is the real work.

I have lost 70% of my excess weight and am wearing a size 12. best thing I ever did for myself.

I was there the same days as B2b and raven123. ( I had my surgery the day after theirs). I agree with everything they are saying. I came from Canada alone and met B2B and her parents on the van ride across the boarder. Never once was I "scared". I was a little apprehensive as I did not what to expect but 10 months later and 90 pounds lost and happily wearing a size 12 for the first time in 25 years I have no regrets whatsoever! I feel great! I look good, ( I still have fat brain from time to time). I was alone but never felt alone thanks to the great people I met in the lobby and the staff. No regrets!!!

Ditto to everything Raven and B2B said. I, too wanted to be at a surgical center where all they do is take care of bariatric patients and everyone is on the same page instead of a hospital where the staff may not be entirely aware of your individual requirements or where cross contamination issues can arise. I've read too many posts from people with postop incision infections and they ALL came from a hospital.

I too agree with Kindle, Raven and B2B. I will also add that if you have any questions or concerns once you get back home Dr. So is fantastic! He has always answered my phone calls / emails in a very prompt fashion, which has been immensely helpful and reassuring. I could not recommend the OCC more highly.

There are two Dr. Ortiz. Dr. E. Ortiz and Dr. A. Ortiz. Which one are you comparing?

I'm going to Dr. E Ortiz in September.

Absolutely on board with all the other OCCers- no regrets whatsoever and it was the best decision I've made thus far ahead of deciding to become a nurse. I feel great, I move around easier, I can paint my own toenails- seriously the list goes on. I've lost 92% of the excess weight and is know once I get all of this excess skin chopped off later I'll be smaller than I expected to be. It's beyond amazing. I barely had any pain-nothing children's liquid Tylenol didn't handle- and my scars look good. I'm black obviously so they are more pigmented but they're small and they don't bother me. They will shift position though when I get a lower body lift later so that will be interesting :)