Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I started my pre-op diet yesterday and I'm not gonna lie. It sucks pretty hard core already. I have a low-grade headache going, but don't want to take anything for it on an empty stomach. And I am super sleepy. I'm way more sleepy than hungry right now. If you offered me a choice between a pizza and a nap, I'd choose the nap hands-down. I'm pretty worried about having the energy to keep up with my workouts. Hopefully my body will adjust and I can make it through these last two weeks at work.

I started my pre-op diet yesterday and I'm not gonna lie. It sucks pretty hard core already. I have a low-grade headache going, but don't want to take anything for it on an empty stomach. And I am super sleepy. I'm way more sleepy than hungry right now. If you offered me a choice between a pizza and a nap, I'd choose the nap hands-down. I'm pretty worried about having the energy to keep up with my workouts. Hopefully my body will adjust and I can make it through these last two weeks at work.

Jamie it totally stinks. If I can remember at least 3-4 days. The headache will pass and you'll get over the hump. I was so tired I only did the exercise bike after I got home from work because it was either going to be that or nothing.

Hang in there jamie you can do it!!!!!

Jamie it totally stinks. If I can remember at least 3-4 days. The headache will pass and you'll get over the hump. I was so tired I only did the exercise bike after I got home from work because it was either going to be that or nothing.

I couldn't bring myself to exercise when I got home from work. I figure I deserve a day off anyway, since I've done cardio the last 9 days straight. Plus I burned 660 calories with my cardio yesterday and consumed a whopping 450 calories or so. I just sucked down my last Protein Shake for today and I'm about to go to bed. This headache is just so bad now. I did Atkins several years ago and I remember the headache lasting the first three days or so. I assume this will be similar. Hopefully I can just make it through the next couple of days.

I will say that today was the first time in a while where I've repeatedly thought that maybe I shouldn't get the surgery!

I couldn't bring myself to exercise when I got home from work. I figure I deserve a day off anyway, since I've done cardio the last 9 days straight. Plus I burned 660 calories with my cardio yesterday and consumed a whopping 450 calories or so. I just sucked down my last Protein Shake for today and I'm about to go to bed. This headache is just so bad now. I did Atkins several years ago and I remember the headache lasting the first three days or so. I assume this will be similar. Hopefully I can just make it through the next couple of days.</p> <p> </p> <p>I will say that today was the first time in a while where I've repeatedly thought that maybe I shouldn't get the surgery!</p>

NOOOOOO!!

You need to go to the before and after threads STAT! Look at everyone and how amazing they're doing in such a short time. During the preop diet your brain starts to play tricks on you and you start thinking what the hell am I about to do to myself- you'll think that even after while you can't eat postop and have to do the liquids. I remember all of it- but believe me it's a distant memory and a small price to pay for how wonderful I feel and how great I look. I have my legs crossed right now. I couldn't do that before and I do it all the time. I can cross them twice. It's crazy. DONT CHANGE YOUR MIND!

I couldn't bring myself to exercise when I got home from work. I figure I deserve a day off anyway, since I've done cardio the last 9 days straight. Plus I burned 660 calories with my cardio yesterday and consumed a whopping 450 calories or so. I just sucked down my last Protein Shake for today and I'm about to go to bed. This headache is just so bad now. I did Atkins several years ago and I remember the headache lasting the first three days or so. I assume this will be similar. Hopefully I can just make it through the next couple of days.

I will say that today was the first time in a while where I've repeatedly thought that maybe I shouldn't get the surgery!

The reason you are getting headaches is your electrolytes are off from the radical diet. have something with salt or some broth it will help. You will be fine.

NOOOOOO!!

You need to go to the before and after threads STAT! Look at everyone and how amazing they're doing in such a short time. During the preop diet your brain starts to play tricks on you and you start thinking what the hell am I about to do to myself- you'll think that even after while you can't eat postop and have to do the liquids. I remember all of it- but believe me it's a distant memory and a small price to pay for how wonderful I feel and how great I look. I have my legs crossed right now. I couldn't do that before and I do it all the time. I can cross them twice. It's crazy. DONT CHANGE YOUR MIND!

DITTO DITTO DITTO!

Well my headache finally went away at about 11:00 last night and I got close to 12 hours of sleep, so I feel a million times better today. If anything I just feel a little light-headed today, almost like I'm drunk. But I will definitely take this over how I felt yesterday! So glad I pushed through. It was just the first of, I'm sure, many challenges I'll face on this journey. But I am so grateful to be feeling better today. And now I know if it happens again (with the headache), I can wait it out and it WILL get better.

Just a quick post to sing my praises to Dr. Ortiz and the OCC once more. As of yesterday, I reached the goal that Dr. Ortiz set for me of 100 lbs down - weight is 150 lbs and I feel amazing. Went from a size 24 to an 8 in jeans and I can honestly say that there were lots of times during this journey that I thought I wouldn't get this far. I'm running a 10 K this weekend, and signed up for my first half-marathon in the spring. This is a far cry from the old me, by a long shot! I have been working hard, but if my surgery hadn't been performed as expertly as it was my Dr. Ortiz, I doubt I'd have the success I've had thus far. I am planning on maybe losing another 10 lbs or so - just as a buffer, but I think the marathon training is going to take care of that on its own. My life is pretty much normal, except for the shopping for smaller clothes all the time thing - I really don't mind that change. For anyone on the fence, I encourage you to just take the plunge and go for it. I used to read before/afters before my surgery and I always thought "that's nice for them, but it's won't work for me"....and it did. And it will for you too. Just take the chance on yourself. You are so worth it.

Annadette, thanks for the update! I love hearing from people who are further out from their surgeries and doing so well. I especially love reading that your life is pretty much normal now. I'm 5 days into my pre-op diet and 11 days from my surgery and "normal" seems so far away right now. So it's encouraging to be reminded this is only temporary.

Better than normal - a new normal, I'd say. At first, I guess it's kinda like going through a crisis, because your whole world gets turned upside down and of course we all gravitate towards what makes us feel comfortable and the way things have always been. But your body and your mind adapt over time, and you will start to feel so great and start to do so many things that you've always wished you could, but maybe couldn't because you were obese, or because you were afraid. Once those new victories start happening (and they will) you just won't regret the decision of surgery, no matter what. This is truly a second beginning. It's the best gift you wll ever give yourself.

Hey Texas Jess,

Things are well, Ive been having some pretty bad heartburn. My family physician switched me to something stronger and I am thinking that its finally starting to work. I am glad to hear your doing well! My weight loss is pretty slow, and I guess its not magic and I have to be okay with that. :-) I know the surgery isnt magic but damn, I would like to wake up skinny!!! Just out of curiosity, have you heard from the clinic at all? I am a little surprised by the follow up. I mean, I have not contacted them, but I thought we would be receiving surveys and stuff, but I haven't heard a peep from them...

Sweetums

Hey Sweetums!
How are you doing? Have been so busy I haven't had a chance to get on and see what everyone is doing.
I'm doing well. Had a couple of bad days with diet change. But I think I got it under control now. I did well yesterday. I had about a 6 day stall but I am back to losing again. Down 22 lbs so far.
What's been going on with you?
Take care!
Jessie

Hey Texas Jess,

Things are well, Ive been having some pretty bad heartburn. My family physician switched me to something stronger and I am thinking that its finally starting to work. I am glad to hear your doing well! My weight loss is pretty slow, and I guess its not magic and I have to be okay with that. :-) I know the surgery isnt magic but damn, I would like to wake up skinny!!! Just out of curiosity, have you heard from the clinic at all? I am a little surprised by the follow up. I mean, I have not contacted them, but I thought we would be receiving surveys and stuff, but I haven't heard a peep from them...

Sweetums

Hey Sweetums!

How are you doing? Have been so busy I haven't had a chance to get on and see what everyone is doing.

I'm doing well. Had a couple of bad days with diet change. But I think I got it under control now. I did well yesterday. I had about a 6 day stall but I am back to losing again. Down 22 lbs so far.

What's been going on with you?

Take care!

Jessie

Hey Sweetums!Sorry about the reflux! I've been good with that. I've hit a few stalls but as long as I'm losing and not gaining I'm ok with the stalls here and there. I actually have gotten a few emails from the clinic, surveys and something about their follow up program but I haven't done anything with them. You might want to call or email them and let them know your not getting any follow up stuff. Hope the stronger meds work!Take care, gotta get to work! We'll talk soon!

I scanned and emailed the copy of the cashier's check for my remaining balance yesterday and then I received all my final confirmation emails with my itinerary and whatnot. This is really happening!