Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I had my sleeve in Aug and am very pleased with the results and am happy to recommend the OCC. Dr Ortiz and Dr Hernandez are terrific and despite Dr O's celebrity status, he's a good surgeon with tons of experience and that's the key. Can totally understand your nerves, skepticism and hesitation - I think everyone felt the same way who chose to go to MX for the surgery. Do your research, speak to people, speak to the OCC and go with whomever you feel comfortable. I have no regrets. Good luck!

Kindle, HAF & Adoptivemom, I'll be there 12/15 - 12/20. Hope we can all connect!

We're leaving for the airport shortly, I'm on my way! Kindle, Haf & Adoptive mom (and anyone else scheduled in MX this week), my name is Sherri Parsons, if you want to get together at the hotel at some point, maybe the Marriott front desk can help us find one another. I have spikey blonde hair, purple glasses and I'll probably be with my husband.

Good luck to all and thanks for the experiences of all who have gone before us. Your stories and tips have been super helpful to me!

Oh - I lost 16 lbs on my pre op. I have to figure out the tickers now.

I have been to Dr Ortiz twice. Once in 2010 for a lap band and then Nov 2013 for a revision to the sleeve. Loved him and his staff both times. My band didn't have issues, I just moved to West Texas and couldn't find an in network provider to continue fills, adjustments, etc. I like all the people in his office. These are the ones I have talked to or remember specifically: Miranda, Carolyn, Lori, Dr Ortiz, Dr So, Dr Martinez. I email them whenever I have a question and they call me or email me back very quickly. If anyone were to ask me, this is the place to go. I preferred going back to Dr Ortiz over trying to find a US doctor who could have possibly got my insurance to pre authorize surgery. Especially the 2 doctors near me in west Texas. I wish my other health care providers in the US were as good as OCC.

Ok, so I leave tomorrow and the extreme fear has set in! I feel confident that I picked the best possible surgeon, but still, I am so nervous!

HAF I felt the same way! Tried so hard not to be nervous but it was there so I went in with all the courage I could muster and I'm so proud I did it! Best decision. Ever! So all I can say is... Good luck to you! They will take the very best care of you an you will feel better than ever in a month! Keep us posted!

Ok, so I leave tomorrow and the extreme fear has set in! I feel confident that I picked the best possible surgeon, but still, I am so nervous!

HAF - you are leaving on the biggest adventure of your life! Nerves are to be expected! Haha!

You are in very capable hands...looking forward to hearing all the details. Safe travel and safe surgery!

Hoosiergirl I sent you a private message just have some questions about you experience at OCC! And HAF you will do great I'll keep your in my prayers :)

HAF - you are leaving on the biggest adventure of your life! Nerves are to be expected! Haha!

You are in very capable hands...looking forward to hearing all the details. Safe travel and safe surgery!

HoosierGirl I private messaged you but now I see that it is going to another hoosiergirl on here :( so I am not sure if you have received my message :( So Ill just post my questions here :)

please everyone reading this dont be offended by any of this I know people are defensive about their surgeon these are just my honest thoughts and fears right now and need some help!

HoosierGirl here is what I said in the message:

Hello I read your awesome blog and about choosing a surgeon. I am hoping you can help me as I am so stressed out and cant seem to come to a decision! its so stressful picking my surgeon that I cant sleep! I am having a really hard time deciding between Dr. A. Ortiz and Dr. Aceves I really like that Aceves you stay in the hospital for 3 days and have 3 leak tests, but I like that Dr. Ortiz has no complications and is a center of excellence! I also am stuck on the fact that Dr. Aceves coordinator claims that his patients loose 96% of their excess weight where as Ortiz claims that his patients loose 70% of their excess weight! People say Dr. Aceves is known for doing a "tight sleeve". I am 5'3 and 240lbs my goal is 135lbs, my biggest fear is that I will get down to like 170 and be stuck there and that I my sleeve will stretch back out and it wont be helpful to me anymore. know its up to me to make healthy life style changes, which I am already doing I have lost 25lbs in the last 2 months, but I am just afraid of failing. I have only ever been able to get down to 150lbs before putting it all back on. So I guess my two questions for you are why did you choose Dr. Ortiz over Aceves and now that you are getting close to a year out do you still feel like you have a lot of restriction, how much can you eat now? And was it hard towards the end to get the last bit of weight off to hit your goal? I am afraid if I go with Ortiz I wont have as great of success as if I go with Aceves :( Am I being crazy?!?! LOL!

Also does Ortiz send you home with your medical records from the surgery?

Thanks so much!

LoveMyWorld - Glad to help! (This is what I would have typed to you in a PM, so apologies if anyone is offended, but these are my thoughts/opinions.) Choosing a surgeon in Mexico is HARD! There is a reason you are having sleepless nights -you are literally having most of your stomach removed in a foreign country...its kind of a big deal! Kudos to you for doing research.

Here is what I know...Dr. Aceves is a VERY good surgeon. What you mention about the days in the hospital and leak tests are very valid reasons to choose him. He is also very experienced and was on my personal short list of surgeons in Mexico. There were two reasons I personally didn't choose him 1) he was located in a part of Mexico that had a travel warning from the US State Department (unsure if that is still the case) 2) couldn't personally justify the cost difference. AmandaRaeLeo on this board used Dr. Aceves this year and is having great success with her sleeve. She would be a great resource to get information from. The other reason for choosing Dr. Oritz (besides what I have on my blog) was all the YouTube videos of him, his facility and staff. The information made me feel very comfortable and confident about where I was going and who would be taking care of me. When I finally got comfortable, my massive worry eased.....a bit!

With regard to surgeon claims of % weight loss....to me, those are meaningless. Since the patient is in control of what is eaten or exercised, the surgeon really has nothing to do with your personal percent of weight loss. The bottom line is that it's YOUR sleeve and YOUR choice what to put into it. If you don't follow the nutritional and exercise guidelines, the surgeon's patient's success rates are really meaningless. But, this is your choice and you need to choose criterion that are important to you. If this is a big deal to you, go with your gut. Ultimately, the % of weight loss is up to you. Personally, I have lost well over 100% of my excess weight and I believe it's due to my choices after surgery, not the surgeon's expertise.

In my research, both doctors use the same size bougie so the sleeve size is the same. The part of the stomach you are left with is not very stretchy, so there is not a great likelihood of stretching the sleeve, again, unless you don't follow the rules. Like you, I was and continue to be TERRIFIED of failing after weight loss surgery. So, I follow all the nutrition and exercise rules to be sure I am successful.. I try to do everything I didn't do when I was fat - track my food in MyFitnessPal, exercise 5 days a week, and weigh every day. These are my personal changes and they are working - so I am responsible for my success. Sounds like you are doing a very good job at making good lifestyle changes. The sleeve will help you continue those good choices. In the past 20 years, I have not been below 170 lbs. Right now I am 149. This surgery will help you achieve a healthy weight for you.

I will be 11 months out January 4. Dr. Ortiz set my goal weight at 155. I asked before surgery if I could go for 145. They said yes, with additional effort. The weight is coming off much more slowly now, but I know I will get to 145. Not sure if I will choose to stay there as I am getting a lot of comments that I look "too thin". (And it's a WONDERFUL problem to have!!! LOL). I definitely still have restriction. When I eat lean Protein, or really any protein, I am full and stay that way for hours. Over the past weeks of holiday treats, I have found that I can really eat the Christmas Cookies and other high carb junk with no feeling of restriction. So, I shouldn't be eating it! (And maybe why I am having such trouble with these last few pounds?! Silly me...)

As for how much I can currently eat - today, I had two scrambled eggs for Breakfast and was full. If I have 3-5 ounces of fish or chicken or pork roast, I am full. The other day I went to Hardees and had a low-carb thick burger and was able to eat about 3/4 - 7/8 of it and was very full. But carbs leave me no feeling of fullness and just slide through my sleeve. So I really need to be aware and avoid the junk!

In the paperwork Dr. Ortiz gives before surgery, he says to email his office a couple weeks after surgery to get the surgery report. I emailed him two weeks after and got the report via email. I faxed it to my Family Doctor so she could have a copy.

Overall, I don't think you could go wrong with Aceves or Ortiz. There are others who I feel very confident about in Tijuana too. Just keep doing your research and go with your gut. When you are sold on your surgeon, your worry will be less and you can focus on healing.

If you have not purchased it, Dr. Alvarez has an eBook called "The Gastric Sleeve". I think it cost $9.95 and is downloadable. It's been a very valuable resource for me all through this process. Everything he said in the book is right on the money. Would highly recommend it as I had more pre-surgery questions after reading it and felt like a more educated patient. Plus, a handy resource after surgery too.

Before surgery, I worried about failure, had crazy dreams, what if I failed, what if this money was wasted, blah blah blah. But really, I should have been thinking what if I am wildly successful and this is the best gift I ever gave myself? The bottom line is that this surgery will change your life in ways you can't imagine now. Keep doing your research and get really comfortable and confident about your surgeon. If you continue to feel crazy, reach out to me because I sure get it! I was there at this time last year!

Hugs and well wishes! Shelley

Edited by HoosierGirl

LoveMyWorld - Glad to help! (This is what I would have typed to you in a PM, so apologies if anyone is offended, but these are my thoughts/opinions.) Choosing a surgeon in Mexico is HARD! There is a reason you are having sleepless nights -you are literally having most of your stomach removed in a foreign country...its kind of a big deal! Kudos to you for doing research.

Here is what I know...Dr. Aceves is a VERY good surgeon. What you mention about the days in the hospital and leak tests are very valid reasons to choose him. He is also very experienced and was on my personal short list of surgeons in Mexico. There were two reasons I personally didn't choose him 1) he was located in a part of Mexico that had a travel warning from the US State Department (unsure if that is still the case) 2) couldn't personally justify the cost difference. AmandaRaeLeo on this board used Dr. Aceves this year and is having great success with her sleeve. She would be a great resource to get information from. The other reason for choosing Dr. Oritz (besides what I have on my blog) was all the YouTube videos of him, his facility and staff. The information made me feel very comfortable and confident about where I was going and who would be taking care of me. When I finally got comfortable, my massive worry eased.....a bit!

With regard to surgeon claims of % weight loss....to me, those are meaningless. Since the patient is in control of what is eaten or exercised, the surgeon really has nothing to do with your personal percent of weight loss. The bottom line is that it's YOUR sleeve and YOUR choice what to put into it. If you don't follow the nutritional and exercise guidelines, the surgeon's patient's success rates are really meaningless. But, this is your choice and you need to choose criterion that are important to you. If this is a big deal to you, go with your gut. Ultimately, the % of weight loss is up to you. Personally, I have lost well over 100% of my excess weight and I believe it's due to my choices after surgery, not the surgeon's expertise.

In my research, both doctors use the same size bougie so the sleeve size is the same. The part of the stomach you are left with is not very stretchy, so there is not a great likelihood of stretching the sleeve, again, unless you don't follow the rules. Like you, I was and continue to be TERRIFIED of failing after weight loss surgery. So, I follow all the nutrition and exercise rules to be sure I am successful.. I try to do everything I didn't do when I was fat - track my food in MyFitnessPal, exercise 5 days a week, and weigh every day. These are my personal changes and they are working - so I am responsible for my success. Sounds like you are doing a very good job at making good lifestyle changes. The sleeve will help you continue those good choices. In the past 20 years, I have not been below 170 lbs. Right now I am 149. This surgery will help you achieve a healthy weight for you.

I will be 11 months out January 4. Dr. Ortiz set my goal weight at 155. I asked before surgery if I could go for 145. They said yes, with additional effort. The weight is coming off much more slowly now, but I know I will get to 145. Not sure if I will choose to stay there as I am getting a lot of comments that I look "too thin". (And it's a WONDERFUL problem to have!!! LOL). I definitely still have restriction. When I eat lean Protein, or really any protein, I am full and stay that way for hours. Over the past weeks of holiday treats, I have found that I can really eat the Christmas Cookies and other high carb junk with no feeling of restriction. So, I shouldn't be eating it! (And maybe why I am having such trouble with these last few pounds?! Silly me...)

As for how much I can currently eat - today, I had two scrambled eggs for breakfast and was full. If I have 3-5 ounces of fish or chicken or pork roast, I am full. The other day I went to Hardees and had a low-carb thick burger and was able to eat about 3/4 - 7/8 of it and was very full. But carbs leave me no feeling of fullness and just slide through my sleeve. So I really need to be aware and avoid the junk!

In the paperwork Dr. Ortiz gives before surgery, he says to email his office a couple weeks after surgery to get the surgery report. I emailed him two weeks after and got the report via email. I faxed it to my Family Doctor so she could have a copy.

Overall, I don't think you could go wrong with Aceves or Ortiz. There are others who I feel very confident about in Tijuana too. Just keep doing your research and go with your gut. When you are sold on your surgeon, your worry will be less and you can focus on healing.

If you have not purchased it, Dr. Alvarez has an eBook called "The Gastric Sleeve". I think it cost $9.95 and is downloadable. It's been a very valuable resource for me all through this process. Everything he said in the book is right on the money. Would highly recommend it as I had more pre-surgery questions after reading it and felt like a more educated patient. Plus, a handy resource after surgery too.

Before surgery, I worried about failure, had crazy dreams, what if I failed, what if this money was wasted, blah blah blah. But really, I should have been thinking what if I am wildly successful and this is the best gift I ever gave myself? The bottom line is that this surgery will change your life in ways you can't imagine now. Keep doing your research and get really comfortable and confident about your surgeon. If you continue to feel crazy, reach out to me because I sure get it! I was there at this time last year!

Hugs and well wishes! Shelley

Thanks so much Shelley (hoosiergirl) it helps to know that they are both a good choice! Now why cant I just pick up the phone and book the appointment! LOL! Every time I pick up the phone to call and think ok Im going to book with so and so then I stop and second guess myself oh wait maybe I should go with the other! seriously this kind of stress cant be good for me!! is there another way I could contact you since I can't message you on here? My e-mail is mistyabbott@rocketmail.com or you could find me on Facebook with that e-mail address as well! I really could use someone to talk to about this that has been through this, since I am not telling anyone other than my husband right now, and cant hash it out with the girl friends like i usually do concerning big decsions! My hubby is no help either he is fine with either, it is up to me and what I am comfortable with!

LoveMyWorld - just sent you an email...

There is an article in Newsweek, July 25, 2011 issue called 15 Leaders in Bariatric Surgery. Dr. Ortiz appeared to me to have the most experience of all of them! Because I did consider staying in the states and getting my revision from band to sleeve and use my health insurance. In the end I chose to go back to dr Ortiz because I like him, the center was familiar, he ONLY does bariatric surgery and he has a lot of experience plus the ICE rating. The surgeon in my city just started doing bariatric work in March 2013, and still does general surgeries as well. I included a pic of the article but if you can't find it on the internet I could scan it for you. Good luck making a choice!

post-85424-0-02089600-1387327454_thumb.jpg

post-85424-0-55296200-1387327493_thumb.jpg

One of the reasons that I chose Dr Ortiz was the clinic. I would rather go to a place where no sick people have been. In a hospitial I would have been more likely to come in contact with bacteria that could cause infection.

FYI...I had my surgery on 11/21. I emailed them for my medical records on 12/2. Had not heard anything so I emailed them again today and copied Lori. I received my medical records by email today. Gloria said what took so long was getting the doctors to translate it to English.

Good luck to all the soon to be sleevers :) I think there are a few this week