Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you MAKE me feel worse?

@@VSGAnn2014

I guess it isn't enough stress on those of us (either spouse, family or officer) to be in law enforcement, then to have something like this enter in. I guess it's always something!

Thank YOUR hubs for us, for his service, and thank YOU for supporting him all this time!

I don't know you and I wasn't there but I feel the utmost sympathy for you. What a horrible thing for them to do to you and what a f-ing awful way for them to make you feel!!! I have to admit, I'd love to watch your husband read them the riot act but I totally get why you don't want him to do that. I personally think you are making a good choice to use another hospital and I hope you can let go of how they made you feel, you didn't deserve that at all and may they be smited by a thousand hot suns for how they reacted!!!

i hope your husband gets good news this week and that his treatments are easy on him and that he has a full and speedy recovery. I will be thinking of you in the days ahead.

Echo the massive hug to you, just don't tell your husband :D

My personal favorite is the physical therapist who had me take my shirt off (large belly exposed) in an open clinic, and who then took large calipers to measure my fat in the pinchers for some fat percentage test. It was humiliating because of the many people watching. However, it was also embarrassing for the therapist when I asked to meet with her supervisor, and I explained how her behavior made me feel. I got an apology.

@

I can't even begin to imagine WHY she would've done that, but I'm glad you threw the curve ball back at her! WHERE is the sensitivity, kindness, and consideration of/for others? Why do people have to be TOLD to be nice? I just don't understand. When I slip, I (at MINIMUM) spend the night berating myself, worry myself intolerable, and kick myself...with no satisfaction, because wrong CANNOT be satisfied.

It just FEELS good to be kind, pleasant, nice, considerate, loving, caring.......and it comes BACK! Maybe not always right away, but perhaps in ways we do not necessarily even see. And I believe you DO reap what you sow.

Thanks for the hug, I'm thinking right now, the more the better!!!!

@@CanyonBaby

I have read this thread and I am also praying. I think the support here, even within this thread is amazing, so many wonderful people. Stay strong and I am now listening for good news along with everyone else. :)

Hugs

@@MissLiss

Thank you for your prayers, they are all heard, and definitely all appreciated!

My husband went in for his second colonoscopy today, to no avail as the doctor could not get the biopsies he needed to get. So he went in for x-rays, which we will hear results from tomorrow morning. The surgery will have to be done without any other tests, apparently. And it needs to be done ASAP, so I imagine either this week or early next. We think the cyst on his pancreas may be from a fall he had off of a ladder last summer. The "bloated" sensation isn't bloating at all, but because he has this blockage, it is food that can't pass through the colon in the same timing as normally done.

This is a BIG heads-up for all, as colon issues apparently don't always present symptoms (my husband didn't really recognize his symptoms as symptoms), but on the slightest change, get medical attention. Here is an otherwise VERY healthy, robust man, who has never smoked, hasn't used alcohol in over 25 years, never did any type of drug (other than the rare aspirin), works out a minimum of 5 times a week (burning a minimum of 500 calories - P90X...) and works outdoors 80 percent of the time....just healthy as can be. Never sick, other than minor colds once every few years. And there it is. Surprise. Out of the blue. No warning. ANYONE, ANYWHERE can have health issues. Take care, people! Take CARE!

I am so sorry you were treated so poorly....I would chalk this up to ignorance and immaturity and I would not waste another second thinking about this callous woman. I would however take the time to make a few phone calls to the powers that be at that hospital. Maybe she needs to be reported so she does not continue to do this to others.

I am sorry you have experienced this. As a medical professional myself I can tell you this is not how administration wants their patients to be treated. I highly encourage you to write a nice long heart felt letter to the administrator of this facility. That is going to the top. I feel sure it will be investigated. I have worked with nurses that have been suspended for letter that administration got about them. This person needs to reconsider her choice of career. I pray that I never make a patient feel this way. Don't let this person make you feel inferior. You and only you know what your journey has been. When I encounter a person like this. I make it a point to tell them I will pray for them and for them to have a blessed day. That always gives me the last word and something for them to think about.

@@CanyonBaby how is your hubby? I want to follow your story and not sure this is the right thread.

@@CowgirlJane

Thank you for your inquiry of Dave. He is doing well right now, and we see the surgeon tomorrow morning. He will be having surgery on Friday. This is what's going on: He has a cancer either in or on the descending colon. This has been confirmed by many tests. He also has a cyst, which they believe is benign, on his pancreas, and they also believe it is unrelated to the colon cancer. They did biopsies on it while he underwent a procedure putting a stent in the colon to open up the blockage. We must wait for the result on the biopsies to be sure the cyst is benign.

He was in the hospital for 3 days immediately following the first surgeon visit. That was how bad his blockage was. They must shrink the swollen part of the colon (above the blockage) in order to be able to connect the two sections once the cancer is removed. That is why they put the stent in. The stent opens up the blockage, allowing the colon above the blockage to get back down to a normal size. They had to do this first before they could proceed with the cancer removal, which is scheduled for Friday.

At this time they believe the cancer is either stage 2 or 3. We won't know until they go in. If the lymph nodes and blood vessels surrounding the colon are NOT invaded by the cancer, he will not need chemo. That would be stage 2. Stage 3 would mean the cancer has spread to other systems, and he would need the chemo to kill it. So we are praying for the stage 2, and a clean removal of the cancer.

This is what is so interesting: he has had NO symptoms at all, including bleeding, pain, nothing. And there is NO family history whatsoever. The surgeons (all 4) say it is "just bad luck". Go figure. This man has NEVER had anything more than a cold. No surgeries at all, he never drank, smoked, did illicit drugs, ate poorly.....works out all the time...super healthy. The only reason he had a colonoscopy at all was me. I nagged him about it for the last few years, and especially as I noticed he was using the restroom more often.

The surgeons say to get a colonoscopy at age 50. They said most cancers of this type are about 10 years old by the time they are discovered. And there are little if any symptoms. So the lesson here is get colonoscopy by age 50, before it is too late. It CAN happen to anyone.

I will fill you in as we progress, we are cautiously optimistic for this surgery. The surgeons (all 4) believe this is stage 2, and will be dealt with then and there. They anticipate the surgery will be done lapriscopically, which would mean a quicker recovery. As of yesterday, he is off duty for the next 8 weeks, which is extremely difficult for a guy like Dave. But he is getting noticeably weaker with all the laxative-type meds he takes, and he needs to stay near the restroom. The pre-surgery stuff starts Thursday. Tomorrow's appointment will consist of an educational video, prep materials, and visit with the surgeon (such an awesome fellow). I imagine recovery details will be mentioned, and all the what-ifs.

We have prepared as best we can on our end. It is hard to get all the paperwork regarding wills, powers of attorney, living wills....without getting emotional. We hopefully have all the heavy work that I cannot do completed. I THINK we're as ready as we can be.

And, of course, our prayer chain is enormous!!!!! Everything is ready to go, and we are indeed blessed. Thank you all for your kind words, and especially your prayers. STAGE 2, OR BETTER YET....CANCER FREE!!!!!!

@@Inner Surfer Girl

Thank you so much, it means soooo much, I cannot even tell you. We go in to the surgeon's office this morning, Dave is extremely anxious, as is expected. I just can't seem to calm him. Let us all keep praying....

Plenty of folks following this thread and keeping you and your hubby in our thoughts. Wishing you only good news and that this scary and difficult time becomes a thing of the past as soon as possible.

Actually, this is all sounding pretty positive to me -- as colon cancer situations go.

Very best to you guys, CanyonBaby.

BTW, I think you sound like you're coping pretty darned good.