Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you MAKE me feel worse?

So I go for my stress test for my heart issues today, and man, did I regret doing it. Not because of the test, but for the incredibly uncomfortable situation I was put in while undergoing the test. Many of you know I have so many scars, from SO many surgeries over the years, I make frankenbride look like Heidi Klum! I always try to warn people who need to see me in a state of undress what they are about to see, because it IS quite shocking to someone unfamiliar with my situation. And most folks handle it accordingly.

Today was just unbelievable. I put on the ever-cute hospital gown, and as the gal who took the readings removed the part to expose my torso for the pads they must place for the test, her face told it all. Not sadness or pity like a lot show, but repulsiveness. She would slap that gown over me again every time she had open it like it was on fire. Huff and puff with disgust, like it was all she could do to be there and do her job.

It was bad enough I had been without food for almost 5 hours (you can't eat for 4 hours prior to the test), and I normally eat every 3 hours. So I was feeling pretty faint, and tried to explain to her I needed to speed this whole thing up. I told her about having the sleeve surgery, and she told me how she knew about that surgery and "all the repercussions" that followed it. IF I had been in my right mind at the time, I would have laid it on the line for her, and called her out on it. But I wasn't up to par with my queasiness. She acted so disgusted, and repulsed, and all I wanted to do was.....cry.

I didn't, but it's like, hey - I have been through HELL over the years, more times than anyone should ever have to go through. When I look at someone who has the physical evidence of horrific things that has happened to them, I feel compassion. Empathy. Sympathy. Love. This gal was young, probably 30 or so. I am not. But considering what I have been through, I look pretty good, if I do say so myself!

As I am lying on this table, with my torso exposed for all to see, I have 2 women and one man hovering over me like I am something from a freak museum. WHEN will hospital staff act like they are mature, adult, compassionate HUMAN BEINGS instead of moronic morons (like that term???!!!) who feel they are superior to us lowly patients who shouldn't even soil their floors with our footsteps??????

Yes, I am venting, and I apologize. I cannot tell what occurred to my husband, who would go in there like the thundering cop he can be, and DEAL with them. So I thank you for listening (or reading!!!), and letting me vent. Tonight I am greatly saddened. I do not even know what the results of my test are, but I'm not sure I care at this point. I know one thing. I WILL NOT be using this hospital again for ANYTHING. I am at this point, after so many surgeries, where I think I have just had too much, and cannot do anymore. I just can't right now. I can't see those people standing over me, looking at me like that. No more. I am sooo tired. No more.

Thanks for letting me vent.

I hate that you were made to feel that way. That's a problem some (especially young) health care professionals have, they forget that their patients are actually people, with feelings. They don't bother to use tact and kindness because they are too focused on "doing the job" rather than helping the patient.

You deserve to be treated with respect. I think I'm all for your husband's probable reaction.

Whew. CanyonBaby I wasn't even there and I am fuming over here. The unmitigated gall they have to look at you and treat you any other way then as a human being deserving of dignity and respect is beyond me. I'll tell you what....I am a huge believer in letting my pen do the talking. I would find out who their Supervisors and Managers are and I would get to writing, everybody would get a letter of complaint and I would probably call a few of them also and talk to them directly. Those scars you have are there for a reason. The reason is because you are a survivor and you are strong and without a doubt whatever comes your way you are made up of the stuff that will take it on head on. Without ever having met you face to face I know from reading your posts here the kindness and care you show for others, you are a wonderful person. Never forget that to those that really matter in your life you are loved,appreciated and highly esteemed. I can relate to what your going through with your heart and the tests. I too have a horrible family history of heart disease. Hang in there everything is going to be just fine. Listen if your in California and you want me to I'll go back to that doctors office with you and we can give those retards a piece of our mind ???? You just say the word and I'm there. Sorry that my post is so long and I know there are gramatical errors too but I'm really peeved at this so please forgive me. As always sending you positive thoughts, I'm keeping you in my prayers and great big ole hug to you.

Im in tears reading what happened to you, I'm so sorry you were made to feel that way, i just want to give you a massive hug.!!

Edited by VSGmary

You need to write a letter. Now, while you are one step removed from the situation but while it is still fresh in your mind.

Detail what you've been through, what you advised the providers, the reactions you perceived and how it made you feel.

You deserve an apology and they deserve to be informed of how their reactions affected you. Do this for yourself and for the next patient who comes in with a less than perfect body.

Deliver that letter personally to the office manager so they put a face to it. Seriously.

Keep your head raised up high you have come along way these people are a disgust to the medical industries.

I'm so sorry this happened to you and wish there was something magical I could say that would erase the memory for you. Just know that you have our support and good wishes. You can't cure this type of unfeeling, it's ingrained, but I for one believe in Karma. Someday this person will experience the same kind of pain that she inflicted on you. What goes around comes around.

In the meantime I hope you're feeling a little better now. Don't spend another minute giving her a thought. She isn't worth it!

In my experience these people are fairly few and far between, thankfully, which makes them so noticeable when you have to ill fortune to get one of them. I am really sad and perturbed about this because you are clearly an optimistic happy go lucky kind of canyon baby so if this was anxiety producing to you it must have been bad. I agree with lipstick lady that the hospital needs to be informed, not only for you but for the next ones who are subject to this rotten behavior.

Some people just suck.

And the other friends who suggested you write. I got steamed up and singleminded.

I am sorry you were treated this way.

I am going to gently suggest that due to the very emotional nature if this process you might be reading alot I to it that wasn't there. Maybe the look on her face was remembering the scars on her own mother and having to process all that while doing her job. Maybe she was pissed off over a speeding ticket. .. I don't know.

Anyway. .those people aren't important to you. It is a waste of human energy to get so upset by people that just don't matter.

I have noticed people treat me better when I feel self centered and confidence. I have realized that some of it is me...not "them"

I know it's not the most desirable solution, but your statement of "never going to that hospital again" is probably your best option. I'm in the same boat as you medically and require ongoing routine tests often, which can be tedious.

I have found that within our medical system, the conditions you describe to be very typical and prevalent. That being said, I have also found very professional and caring providers as well. and I always tell them so. As for the rude and inept ones..... their attitude and actions are totally unacceptable and just like your husband, I quickly let them know as I exit. I'm paying for professional service and care, not disrespect and abuse. I doubt my tirades will change them, but it makes me feel better. <_<

Either way, they're not getting my money, time or consideration. Maybe the money motivator with facilitate a change. Either way, there are plenty of others to choose from. Don't give up. Be strong, you are not the one wrong. ;)

I am on the "speak up" side of the fence on this one. Write a letter to the hospital's Administrator. Then if / when you get a Press-Gainey survey, attach a copy of your post to that, too. The Administrator won't know what needs to be fixed if he / she does not hear from patients like yourself. Patients are customers and hospitals are service providers. I am sorry that the staff is so crude and tactless. A lot of places will not addess anonymous verbal complaints, so definitley put it in writing. I also like the idea of hand-delivering your letter or at least Return Receipt by mail addressed CONFIDENTIAL, to the Administrator. Hugs from Chicago.

I'm hurt and angry on your behalf. I'm so sorry this happened and I do hope you report it before they do it to someone else :(

CanyonBaby

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

Write to the hospital and let them know how you were treated. There is NO excuse for a "professional" to treat anyone the way you were treated. If hospital staff cannot treat a patient with compassion, then they should go to work for McDonalds. I am writing this from the prospective of knowing many nurses and doctors and NONE of them would treat a patient like that.

Please don't let them get away with this. Think about if it was a child that this person acted that way with, and how that would make that child and it's parents feel.

No excuse, none!

I say write the letter and hold it for the weekend. Read it many times and make it clear how they can improve..it can be personal too, but more effective in my opinion to educate and not berate