Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh! I would NOT want to be even the tiniest bit "awake" for plastics. Have you seen the videos of what they actually DO? Watch a video of a Tummy Tuck or breast augmentation and that'll make you pass out, even if the sedation doesn't! The best part of surgery, as far as I'm concerned, is being unconscious through the whole thing and having it just magically all done when you wake up.

I am in the heavily researching plastics stage and haven't had it yet, but had conscious sedation for wrist surgery in February. My experience was similar to what you describe for your nose surgery... I remember bits and pieces, tiny images and snippets. Would love to hear if it's the same for plastics.

I am in the camp that prefers the conscious sedation to general anesthesia. I'd rather have a few snippets (they aren't disturbing to me) than the risks and difficult (for me personally) recovery involved with general. But I can't find a Us surgeon who will do twilight/conscious sedation.

I loved the twilight sedation. I was under for about 10 hours and I woke up feeling like I had the best night sleep in years.

I remember waking up a few times but not conscious of my body at all. I asked a question I think and the doc put me right back out.

Dr. Sauceda uses an epidural pain block in addition to the twilight. I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience with it. They use twilight in Mexico a lot more than they do in the U.S.

I always throw up after general and feel like crap for days afterward.

Here's a pretty recent pic.

post-169315-14302451641021_thumb.jpg

@@deedadumble You look great! Congrats!

I have to confirm what deedledum said. I think twilight sedation is amazing. I woke up feeling too good - the pain killer was in full effect and I had had an amazingly refreshing sleep! I get so terribly sick after general anesthesia and to wake up after a long surgery feeling so good was a blessing.

I recall sorta waking up during... I was afraid of that in advance but the ladies in the support group all said "don't worry it is not a problem" and they were right. It was like a pleasant dream. All could see was blue (the scrubs). I felt nothing and don't recall hearing anything either. I felt a sensation like I was floating ... in a dream. I recall asking if we were done yet... but the doctor said he didn't hear me ask anything so maybe i just imagined that part. The anesthesiolgist watches you like a hawk and she puts you back under immediately.

One key thing is that some surgeons in the USA try to administer the anethesia themselves. I would NEVER go along with that. Dr Sauceda had a fully qualified anesthesiologist who was capable of full sedation and everything else that a typical anesthesia doc can do. I felt very reassured that she was fully focused on keeping me sedated AND breathing while the surgeons worried about the surgery.

The twilight sedation reduces the risk on the long surgeries since you are not completely immobilized you don't have the same risk of clots etc. Besides, I just hate that post surgery "I wanna barf" that I have gotten post other surgeries.

I don't ever want to have plastics again, but if I do, it will be with Dr Sauceda - or another surgeon who uses the same techniques.

BTW, when I consulted in the Seattle area, i found one surgeon who was beginning to use twilight sedation. He had shoulder surgery himself and was amazed at how much better the patient experience was so he was starting to venture down that path. The issue in the USA of course if you do anything "different" you open yourself up for lawsuits.

Twilight sedation is the best!

Last year during my thigh and arm lift surgery, I woke up a few times talking to my anesthesiologist and taping my finger with the 'red thingy' on it to the beat. Yes, the doctor had some really good music playing.

I remember asking the anesthesiologist if he would take some pictures of me. I brought my camera into the operating room. He took several pictures. Very nice memories.

I saw the doctor working, but I did not want to disturb him;

he looked busy :-) :-)

Next thing I know, the surgery is over, and I feel refreshed and well rested.

Thanks for the feedback on twilight sedation. It sounds like most of us were too loopy to care what was actually going on in the surgery to care what was going on. The idea of having a Tummy Tuck while awake gives me a panic attack but I get really nauseous after going under the traditional way, so I will continue to entertain the idea. It sounds like it is most often used when having multiple procedures at once. I am just interested in a tummy tuck. Possibly breast augmentation. Will they perform those two operations together in the states?

I had so many consultations in the States before I chose my current plastic surgeon. At the time, they told me they could do a Tummy Tuck and a breast lift at the same time.

However, those are just the surgeons I interviewed. I guess it is going to depend on the surgeon. Some have two surgeons working together, which speeds up the process and they can do more surgical work in a shorter amount of time. Others work alone.

In child birth, when I had to have a C-section , I was fully awake and remember every moment. I felt the doctor tugging and felt it when she pulled my precious baby out. I also felt when I was being sewn up, and had a nice long conversation with my doctor when she was working. I wish I could have witnessed it my self instead of that big blue sheet covering up everything :-).

With Twilight, I only remember bits and pieces and was asleep for the most part, (I Think:). It was nice waking up knowing everything was going ok with the surgery, then falling back to sleep again.

Thanks for the feedback on twilight sedation. It sounds like most of us were too loopy to care what was actually going on in the surgery to care what was going on. The idea of having a Tummy Tuck while awake gives me a panic attack but I get really nauseous after going under the traditional way, so I will continue to entertain the idea. It sounds like it is most often used when having multiple procedures at once. I am just interested in a tummy tuck. Possibly breast augmentation. Will they perform those two operations together in the states?

I have just finished four consultations in the states and three of the four would one wouldn't. Two would combine two of the four I wanted (arms, thighs, abdomen and breasts), one would combine three (all but thighs) and one would only do one at a time. The one who would do three said he won't normally and he limits himself to 8 hours, but he could tell that I wouldn't need a very long incision for the tummy tuck and same with the arms and no liposuction so he could do all three.

My surgeon's limit was 6 hours of anesthesia, so I just had the lower body lift, and have tabled the breast reduction for another time. So I think the answer would be individualized based on surgeon preference as well as what needs to be done on you as the patient.

All the Doctors mentioned above are really good, I have had surgery with one listed above and I am having surgery with another one mentioned here. Realself.com is how I too found my surgeons. I have had two surgeries in Mexico both doing several procedures at one time. I had no issues, but don't think you have to go to Mexico to be able to afford surgery, I thought that at one time, but now I am planning one more surgery in Texas and it's very affordable. Where ever you go, just make sure you have the doctor of your choice, that's what I did, and he just so happened to be in Tijuana.

As far as the twilight sedation goes, the first clinic I went too in Mx did not use it and I was in recovery overnight it was all a blur...The second surgery, different Doctor, I was given the twilight sedation, I was basically out, waking up when they turned me over, but when they were waking me up to tell me it was all over, I felt normal and refreshed as if I had a full nights sleep. I love the twilight mainly because of the risks involved with traditional anesthesia

Edited by AZDee

Hey Tampa,

Not sure if you've already picked a surgeon yet (or had the surgery) but I wanted to pass along some info. My initial search for plastics was MX intensive because I didn't think I could afford the costs charged stateside. That being said, we may have some options. USF offers reduced surgical rates (50%???) through their Resident Plastic Surgery division. This means the procedure would most likely be done at TGH, but it may be worth looking into. I have a consult scheduled for June 10 with Dr. Smith. While the surgeon will most likely require up-front payment, sometimes arrangements can be made with the hospital for their fees.

I'll post an update after my visit next month.

Ally

I had the sleeve in OCT 2013 in Mexico. I went from 300lb to 180lb. I am 46 years old. I could not be happier with the weight loss but am border line depressed with the excess skin and flab. I started working out hard (weight training) four months ago. Sadly I don't see much of a difference. I always had a full face and now it is sagging.

At this point I feel I need a Tummy Tuck, thigh lift, arm lift and breast lift with implants. I will probably have to go to Mexico again because I am self pay.

My concerns and wishes:

Recovery time? I had a friend yesterday get a consult for TT and they told her 10 days. On this board and realself.com it looks like 6-8 weeks.

Has anyone had more than one procedure at a time? It seems like a lot get TT and Breast at same time?

I want an artist. Someone who cares about scarring.

I am 180 and my goal was 160. I am 5'6". I see now and maybe it's because of the flab and cellulite that I might to loose more. I never wanted to be super thin. I am size 12 want to be size 8.

I am so happy about weight loss and feel so much better but can't look at myself in the Mirror. Even my face droops and that is most depressing of all.

Thankfully I have the means or can work on that to get most of this done. It's the down time and not working that concerns me most. I am in sales and travel by car for work.

Any advise, suggestions or encourgment would be appreciated more than you know.

I've had quite a lot of work done and scaring was my biggest concern. I know understand you need to make sure of a few other things besides the beautiful cut and sewing you desire. I too thought Mexico was going to be my only option and some of the surgeons are lower than the states and some it turns out are about the same. So do your homework. In my saying that I mean take the time to have consults with several surgeons before deciding. Send your pictures, have phone interviews with them, not only get their prices, but find out exactly just what they plan on doing, such as Lipo, and where they plan on placing the scars, how much they plan on removing, how they plan to lift an area. Not all surgeons do things the same and not all patients come out looking the same with a similar surgery. Personally, I have learned all this the hard way after having a total of 6 procedures done in 2 very major surgeries at two different locations. I still need to have more surgeries to improve on things. As it turns out, I am able to afford one of the top Plastic Surgeons who specializes in WLS patients, Dr Peter Fisher in San Antonio, Texas. I knew of him before and had seen his beautiful work, but assumed his prices must have been very high and as it turns out they are not. So please do your homework assume nothing and make sure you know exactly what you are getting before you go....

AZDee,

I've read so many of your posts that I feel like I know you. I agree with your comments about scaring. That's initially one of the reasons I looked at Gutierrez -- his micro-surgical expertise. But now I'm trying to look at the big picture thanks to all of the honest, open feedback provided by you and others.

I'm definitely concerned about scaring, technique (sculpting skills), infection rate and of course price. Because I need multiple procedures, pricing is a concern but doesn't trump the other considerations.

I hate, hate, hate general anesthesia and really think twilight is a better option. But that's not enough to make me have the procedure performed in MX. Initially I too thought that affordability was only an option outside of the US, but I'm seeing more and more affordable options. I know the look I'm going for. As the girls on realself.com say, "I want to get snatched!" But..... I'm trying to be realistic about what is possible for my body type. I find that a lot of the drs. here (even in FL) give tummy tucks with a boxy shape. I'm in love with the curvy hour glass sculpting done in MX and DR. So I still have a lot more work to do.

I really wanted to chat with you about your experience with Gutierrez since you're having some revision work done in TX. I read a review from someone else that wasn't thrilled with their work. Sigh.....

Ally

I've had quite a lot of work done and scaring was my biggest concern. I know understand you need to make sure of a few other things besides the beautiful cut and sewing you desire. I too thought Mexico was going to be my only option and some of the surgeons are lower than the states and some it turns out are about the same. So do your homework. In my saying that I mean take the time to have consults with several surgeons before deciding. Send your pictures, have phone interviews with them, not only get their prices, but find out exactly just what they plan on doing, such as Lipo, and where they plan on placing the scars, how much they plan on removing, how they plan to lift an area. Not all surgeons do things the same and not all patients come out looking the same with a similar surgery. Personally, I have learned all this the hard way after having a total of 6 procedures done in 2 very major surgeries at two different locations. I still need to have more surgeries to improve on things. As it turns out, I am able to afford one of the top Plastic Surgeons who specializes in WLS patients, Dr Peter Fisher in San Antonio, Texas. I knew of him before and had seen his beautiful work, but assumed his prices must have been very high and as it turns out they are not. So please do your homework assume nothing and make sure you know exactly what you are getting before you go....