Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year and 1 month later

Hello all

Its been a year and 1 month since I had the lab band surgery, although I haven't reached my goal yet , I feel some what satisfied. Before surgery , I never expected to reach my goal within a year, I have given myself 2 years instead anyway. I have lost an average of 64 pounds, my goal is to lose another 60-55 pounds and I will be much happier. I will be honest, I havent' hit the gym once, and I can't give up my occasional glass of wine. Yes and on occasions also I will eat a piece of, chocolate, cake, pizza, Ice cream, fries. The thing, is that I believe having something you like occasionally is ok, the bad thing is eating these type foods everyday. I don't drink any carbonated drinks or beer but I do have my cup of coffee every morning.

I didn't experience any weight loss for about a month or 2, but now I am at 8cc now, and this is the tighter I'vee been and lost 10 pounds since my last adjustment. I feel that I am fine although sometimes a lose my guard and a eat a little to fast and throw up.

The BAD.

-You will eventually throw up, throwing up will be part of your life with the lab band,or at least during the weight loss, while its tight

-I kind of misse eating faster, specially seeing my plate full .

-

The Good,

-wearing those pants I had saved away for 5 years,!!

-Feeling better about myself and not having to shop at the women's size section.

-

Overall, I don't regret getting the surgery, I believe that I made a good decision on the lapband instead of the other procedures.

Edited by IvonneBX

Congrats on your success so far. I know what you mean about knowing what still needs to be done. I need to seriously up my exercise and reduce my calories further to get the last fifty pounds off. I will do it. I am grateful for my band and I won't waste this opportunity.

Keep on fighting the fight!!

Amazing progress. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

You've worked this tool well and it shows. Congratulations!

I have to disagree with the idea that throwing up is part and parcel of being banded. Throwing up occurs when you eat too fast, too much, or too big of a bite. Throwing up can also lead to lapband complications or esophegal damage and it should not be seen as a normal consequence of having a lapband.

Please have another look at why you are throwing up. A lapband complication is never worth the weight loss it has cost you...seriously. You want to keep this band as long as possible and throwing up will shorten its lifespan.

Congratulations! You've done a great job! Be careful with your band. You definitely never want to be too tight. It can lead to so many probs. ???? here's to your next 50 pounds!

Hi Butterly, way to go on this last year -- isn't it great?! I love it that I can still indulge here and there and that I am not a dieter anymore. Also, like you I gave myself a year when I began but then gave myself the gift of a second year to reach goal. The pacing of that feels right to me. I need this spring and summer to strenghthen and tone while getting off the next chunk. Here's to that!

Hi Butterly, way to go on this last year -- isn't it great?! I love it that I can still indulge here and there and that I am not a dieter anymore. Also, like you I gave myself a year when I began but then gave myself the gift of a second year to reach goal. The pacing of that feels right to me. I need this spring and summer to strenghthen and tone while getting off the next chunk. Here's to that!

Two things I like about this. I'm not a dieter anymore. I'm giving myself a second year. I'm using these.

Congratulations! You should be extremely proud of your accomplishments!

I too am going to have to disagree with the statement that throwing up is just a part of the banded life. I will have been banded 2-years next month and I haven't thrown up or PB'd one time. This is a very common miss-conception, I know it was for me I actually went in for a follow-up once and said I know I'm losing but I'm not getting sick is this normal.....lol I know he must have thought I was crazy but this is what I had read, heard, researched etc. so I was under the impression that maybe mine wasn't working properly because I wasn't getting sick. It was then that it was explained to me that it's just the opposite if you're so tight that you're not able to eat without getting sick then something is wrong. Being too tight can actually cause you to gain weight along with a host of other possible serious complications, so tighter doesn't always equal better or faster results.

Good luck on those next 50lbs. You'll be there in no time.

What I really meant to say with that comment , is that eventually one will lose their guard and end up throwing up . In these instances, Its because I may have eaten to fast, or ate food that its hard to go down. This will usually occur, during the first 2 weeks of adjustment.

@@IvonneBX throwing up is not good for you! that is not part of the "lifestyle" I was way too tight last week and started throwing up yeah I was losing and that's cool but I didn't want to become bulimic or erode the band and hurt my body by throwing up everything I put in my body, I went to the doctor and got a barium swallow and I was almost closed off so they took a cc out and I feel 100 times better. please get your band checked and do not take throwing up as a normal thing!