Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Messed Up. I felt crappy this morning and decided NOT to go to work. I did take my girlfriend to work and while driving I became hungry. I had a craving for hashbrowns, Del Taco hashbrowns. I went thru the drive thru and picked them up. Huge mistake, giant mistake. I ate three on the drive home and then it hit, that nauseous feeling. I barely made it off the freeway before I tossed my Cookies.

What in god's name possessed me to buy them, was it force of habit or sheer stupidity, maybe even both? I should never have bought them in the first place. I keep getting these cravings for something in particular and then kick myself in the but when I get sick shortly afterwards. I knew better, yet I did it anyway.

Here's the deal. Did you mess up? Yep - BIG TIME!!! However, what you do about it is what really matters. We've all done it, thinking we're "different" that it "won't happen to me", but it does. Learn from it and move forward. Beating yourself up doesn't change what happened.

Some days I feel like I didn't have surgery 8 weeks ago. I'll eat like the rest of my family, usually fast and laughing and then the pain hits me. I end up vomiting and really hating myself. We all do crazy things. We are only human. As long as you learn from it then it is not a mistake. Keep your head up and keep smiling! :) Hugs

Finding sassy,

We are not perfect. Mistakes happen to everyone. Just remember and move on. Learning from them is all we can do. Stopping them in the future is what's most important.

Oh Sassy, I'm so sorry to hear it. It sucks to be sick, but it's good to learn the lesson quickly and move on. ::hugs::

No ones perfect focus on one day at a time and chalk it up as a well learned lesson .

Ive read all these interesting comments...and thank you all for being so honest and open...as I dont see these as mistakes but pure new education...the brain is the last thing we have to re educate isnt it...the brain has to catch up with our new "plumbing"....I get re plumbed next week..and I like to absorb all the info I can get.

I had the same thing happened to me last night. I was home alone and decided that I really wanted to make some homemade popcorn and watch a movie. Of course I made the popcorn with a little bit of canola while on the stovetop. I did not add better, but there were still fat from the oil. I munched down about 2 cups worth of popcorn before stopped and realized what I was doing. unfortunately my body quickly caught up to my sins, and I had 45 minutes of sheer misery. Interestingly enough, I have not been able to throw up yet. It's not that I generally want to throw up, but in a situation where I gorged myself on something then I was going to make me sick it would be nice to be able to get rid of it. No such luck last night! I'm hoping what everyone says is true, and that this is just a learning curve. I hope my brain can be retrained, LOL.

Yes ive seen on my "dont eat" list...pop corn.....is this due to what its cooked in? Cant popcorn be microwaved using no oils? I dont eat alot of popcorn just now and then...but if someone has it as theyre "movie food"....will you have to completely stop eating it?

I think it's individual tolerance.. I also believe it's a quantity thing.. I've had a handful of popcorn here and there but thoroughly chewed... Ditto for corn

popcorn is on my list of foods I can eat and movie popcorn only occasionally. I can tolerate popcorn and chew it very well. My list says one cup air popped as a healthy snack. ????

It happens to all of us. Thank god for dumping syndrome otherwise I'd do the same thing a lot more often than I do. Just the other day I was DYING for some pizza, I caved and my husband and I ordered the most calorie filled one on the menu [the ultimate cheese lovers with stuffed crust from Pizza Hut, to be exact] I had 2 slices over a period of an hour and I felt like absolute garbage and ended up sleeping through the whole day because of the fat content. I felt so god awful the whole day, like grease was running through my veins. Learned my lesson, at least for awhile.

Hi I am post op and 52. Can anyone tell me if I will be able to go to dinner with friends since at my age kids are out of the house that's what enjoy do on weekends. I can handle the tiny portions but am afraid of the dumping syndrome.

@@Maddie1

Depends on what you eat. Foods that are high in sugar and fat are what usually cause dumping, but every body is different. The rule of thumb in my post-op instructions is not to try anything new outside of the comforts of your home. So basically anything you wanna try to reintroduce to your system post op, do it at home. Because if you get sick, you'd rather get sick at home than in public or at someone else's home, right? Many people still go out to eat, they just eat substantially less than what they normally would have pre-op.

Hi I am post op and 52. Can anyone tell me if I will be able to go to dinner with friends since at my age kids are out of the house that's what enjoy do on weekends. I can handle the tiny portions but am afraid of the dumping syndrome.

You say that you are post op, how far out are you? I agree with what was said already, don't try anything new outside of your own home, you never know what can make you sick. WLS shouldn't keep you from lunches with your friends. Eat responsibly, follow the rules and hopefully you will do just fine.

I'm on week 8 post op and I still have trouble with food and getting sick. I've noticed that any type of bread will make me ill. I need to stay away from it. End of month two... Down a total of 36 pounds and 19 1/2 inches. I'm losing a little slower than expected but I'll take it! so far so good with fruits and veggies. meats are o.k. But I have to go slow, extra slow. Good luck to you!