Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Teachers Talk - BTT

Hi everyone! I'm an elementary paraeducator in the Kansas City Metro area. I love my job...especially the flexible schedule...don't have to worry about bathroom, amount of time for lunch, etc... I just had surgery August 13 in Monterrey, Mexico with Dr. Arturo Rodriquez! So far everything is going G-R-E-A-T!!!

I'm 5'4" and my starting weight was 228. I have lots of comorbidities, which I am not just hoping, but PLANNING to get rid of. I have not taken any of the 3 diabetes meds since right before surgery and my sugars are always good. Of course, I know the true test will come when I start adding more and more foods to my diet. But I'm stayin positive!

:whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2::whoo::clap2:

Hello -I am a Primary School Teacher in the West of Ireland, teaching children from 4 to 12 years depending on what class I have each year. Last year I taught Junior and Senior infants mixed in one room (I was one of three teachers in a tiny village school of 57 pupils). Primary School teachers here teach all subjects including Gaeilge (Irish Language). It was a temporary position so I am job hunting for September. I am banded since July 27th and have managed to lose a paltry and shameful six pounds. I have no restriction whatsoever and could eat Moby Dick with fries in one go. The lack of restriction is matched only by my lack of willpower to STEP AWAY FROM THE CARBS. My surgeon was supposed to see me today but deferred my appointment for admin reasons until Sept 7th. I cannot wait until I lose lots of weight (I'm a whopper at about 300lbs and I make sure to remind my DH that he got a lot of Me for that ring and that if I was livestock he would be a wealthy man). Teaching infants can be tiring when you carry this much weight as there is a lot of bending down. Rather embarrassingly, one cunning little guy used my voluptuousness against me by hiding under the shadow of my belly all the time. I love teaching and spend a good part of each day laughing and enjoying the kids - a thousand times better than being an education manager for a blue chip in my previous career. I have enjoyed reading all your posts and the very best and kindest wishes for your continued band success.

Hi everyone! Tuesday I go back to school. That will be the day I'm on Clear Liquids and we have our luncheon! Surgery is Wed! SOOOOOOOOO excited! Thought surgery would've been earlier this month, but you know insurance - at least mine is paying at 100% if you can believe that! So I will take off two days, then we have a 4 day break for Labor Day and the kids start onTuesday 9/4. That gives me all of 5 days. YIKES! I just didn't want to wait. My principal, grade partner and a few other teacher friends know so I know I'll have support - well maybe from the teachers, my principal is kinda clueless sometimes. Nice lady, but really shouldn't be an administrator....

So - I teach 5th in a small rural school. I only have 20 kids this year and when the migrant kids head south I will have only about 16! Lucky, I know. The following year it will all change as all the other grades are larger. I used to teach 3rd in Philadelphia pre kids, then took time off to be with them. I've also taught a1/2 year of first - wow was I tired - and 2 years of 6th - God Bless middle school teachers.

My room is almost ready and my copies will be run on Monday so I'm pretty well set. The good thing about 5th graders is they are trained and most are willing to help out when a teacher is not feeling well. I hear it's a good group this year.

Bye!

Hi! I was a teacher (7 years) but I am now a Stay At Home Mom! Once a teacher, always a teacher!!!

Hqw do you like being at home with your kids? I'm glad I did it, but it was hard. I also put on lots of weight! Do you miss teaching? I've been back 4 full years, but the 2 years prior I did some subbing including 2 long-term stints. In just a few weeks I will have three teenagers - 16, 14 1/2 and 13 on 9/12. It's fun, but sometimes I miss the hugs and all the cute stuff they used to do. At least one of them is still a hugger (as long as no friends are around!).

HI! Some days, I love staying home...other days, I can't wait for my husband to get home!!! It's wierd! I am soooooo thankful that I got to take my son to his first day of Kindergarten 2 weeks ago! It was a beautiful moment! My "almost 2 year old" and I have a good time together! I send her to Parents Morning Out a few days a week...and I do stuff at my church while she is there (only 3 hours a day). We started Mommy and Me gymnastics, which I LOVE!!!

I am very blessed!

This past week was rough. They love to feed us at school and there was plenty of food available at all times. Breakfast, Snacks and lunch everyday. They even got outside catering for us! Of course nothing was light. I did the best I could but did not lose one single ounce all week. Next week we go back to normal with the kids there so I should be less tempted and only eat what I take with me.

You all have a great week!

Hi Everyone,

I am an ESL teaching Principal in a small school in the middle of Australia (literally)!

I am new to this school this term and have trouble with the 30 min lunch break too. Like the Soup idea! will have to get something organised.

Look forward to more discussions here you guys!

Hey Pam , Good luck this week ! I'm sure all will go fine with your surgery.;) I had my surgery in Feb. and really could have returned after 5 days and did ok, but my heart arrhythmias were acting up so I had to have a cat scan just to check for blood clots - all was fine ! I teach 5th and 6th music and have a jr. high choir of about 230 kids - luckily I meet w/ them in the a.m. before school so they're still kind of sleepy !:biggrin1:

I stayed home w/ my 3 girls part-time when they were little and am so glad I had that opportunity Now they're 17,14 & 12. I sure could use that free time now w/ all the running we do after school but I also like the full time income !:confused:

I do ok eating at school. I ate a lot more soon after surgery than I am able to do now because of fills, and only had trouble pbing once at school. Luckily I have practice rooms in my classroom so I was able to go in there and take care of business w/out kids watching. Tomorrow is my 1st day w/ kids so I'm kind of excited. I'm always ready to be done in May , but also look forward to getting back to it in August. My classes are fun since we dance and sing and it helps w/ weight loss too.

Have a GREAT week everyone , and we'll be thinking of and praying for a quick recovery for you Pam on Wed.:clap2:

Hi banded teachers, I'm in sort of a pickle.

The nurse called me today and said that we have a tenative surgery date for Oct. 2nd. :clap2: However, at our school that week is homecoming week and I'm in charge of our student council (student government). This is a big week and the kids put in lots of work to get ready for the parade and dance that Saturday.

Here's my delimma (sp?) I can have the surgery and take the rest of the week off yet still come in afterschool to supervise the kids working on their floats for the parade (I only live about 5 minutes from my school) OR I can postpone my surgery (which I really don't want to do)

What do you think???:help:

Here's my delimma (sp?) I can have the surgery and take the rest of the week off yet still come in afterschool to supervise the kids working on their floats for the parade (I only live about 5 minutes from my school) OR I can postpone my surgery (which I really don't want to do)

What do you think???:help:

Well, I know we all understand your position. We as teachers are give, give, givers, but in this case, you really should think of yourself first. I know for myself I postponed surgery until I had spring break. That's not necessarily a choice for some, but for me, I wanted to focus on my learning the new routine and understanding the commitment I would be making. So...give serious thought to what you want. I know you love your kids...we wouldn't do this job if we didn't. But...this surgery is for YOU...and doing what is best for you should be your mantra.

Good luck!

Annette

I agree with Anette 100%, you have to come first. Maybe you can get a fellow teacher to cover for you? A friend who knows you are having surgery? I know you want to do everything yourself, at least I do, but it will be really bad timing. And next year you will be so much healthier you will enjoy it that much more!

SBEE - DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! Put yourself first!

I'm a week and half post op and doing great now, but Tuesday, my first day of school was awful It was 87 depgrees - no air conditioning and I was exhausted and nasueous. The next day, I put one of those nausea Patches on that my dr. had given me and it really helped. Thursday night I pretty much passed out at 7:30 and slept ALL night!

gotta go get some work done. Of course it's Sat. and I'm working in my classroom. Still have lots to do :phanvan

Thanks everyone for you input. I called my doc and the next appointment would be weeks away so I DID IT.. October 2nd here I come. :whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

Thanks again, I new my lapband friends would help steer me in the right direction.