Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Teachers Talk - BTT

CeCe that sounds rough--and you just had your surgery!! When does your school year start? Hopefully the move closer to home will be more than worth it in the end.

Oh, my God, I am feeling so overwhelmed right now. I am moving to a new school close to home and went there this morning to drop off some of my stuff. Well, much to my surprise I found out the teacher who was there has retired, and left me everything she ever owned. I mean, a ton of stuff. Of course I have a ton of stuff too ( 52 boxes) so now I am trying to decide what to do with all that! Aw! I am going to have to hurry up and sort thru all of it, and I can't lift weight due to the surgery, so I just left everything and came home. I will go go to the dr. on Wednesday and am hoping she will tell me I can lift weight again. Anyways, just wanted to vent. Thanks for listening!
:help:

My suggestion is find a student teacher in the building. I know my 1/2 sis. begins her student teaching next week, she'd be pleased to sift through any stuff from a retired teach. Besides, I remember my early days...and I was ALWAYS glad to have a chance at a retired teacher's stuff. We know we can't take the stuff with us when we die....so...find a new kid to help and pass on some stuff. Anyway, best of luck. I've been there and it's not pretty in the best of circumstances...much less after surgery. Remember, we're not Wonder Woman....YOU come first! (I realize this goes against all teacher genetics, but with surgery, it's an attitude you need :) )

Take care and good luck!

Annette

Thanks Ladies for the words of encouragement. I went back in the afternoon after taking some time off to 'digest' my findings, and started to go thru some stuff. I will give a lot of it away, throw away some pretty outdated stuff, put seasonal items in my parents' garage- they live by the school so it'll be easy for me to retrieve items at Xmas etc... I might also buy a couple of extra bookshelves so I have space to put stuff in. I find that if materials are put away too tightly I don't use them as much.

I am a Curriculum Director and Elementary Principal and am just beginning this process. I had thoroughly researched the Lap Band a year ago and decided against it...thought I could do it on my own. At the same weight as then, I have decided to research again.

SRA is a company that has merged with McGraw Hill. SRA has many different reading and language programs that they offer, as well as some intervention programs. SRA also publishes a widely uses reading program called Open Court. So, when you say you are going to be teaching SRA, I am fairly certain it is in the language arena, but specifically, without asking your employer, I don't know if you will find what you are looking for on the internet.

Sorry so long.

I find myself suddenly realizing that summer break is almost over so I got to wondering, where are all my banded (and pre-banded) teachers from and when do you return to school. (Does anyone go back after Labor Day anymore???)

So I'll start. I teach in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio and we return to school August 27th. (kids come back on the 28th). There is a private school around the corner that went back Aug. 8th!!!(couldn't believe that)

so when do you go back??? :ranger:

BTW-my sugery will be either in late Sept. or early October. (depends on how quickly I get ins. approval)

That time of year does come fast. I live in Massachusetts. I have to go back on the 31st and the kids come the following Wednesday. I am trying to get excited! Will definitely bring new band challenges!

I am in Texas, we teachers go back on the 21st, the kids on the 28th. For some reason I am not looking forward to it this year, I am enjoying staying home!

Well...I returned this past Mon., kids Wed., and I made it to Today! :whoo:

Thankfully the group this year seems a bit better than last year's crowd. Looks like it'll be a good one. Best of luck to all!

Annette

I went back on the 13th. I really enjoyed being home over the summer and had hoped when I went back it would be in a different school. After two interviews, I was not hired at the school I was applying for, so I am not moving. It is so hard being rejected over and over, I guess I am just not good at interviewing!

This past week was hard, since we did not have students we ate out at lunch every day. I took my refrigerator up yesterday, and my microwave, so I will be set to eat right next week!

Good luck to all!

Has anyone attended any of the inservice workshops given by the Kagan Institute? Just looking for opinions of some of their stuff.

Thanks,

Annette :cry

Are there any specific sessions that you would strongly recommend. I teach 6th gr. Math & Science. Any ideas would help.

Thanks!

It's best to start off with the structures since that is the foundation for cooperative learning. Then, I'd attend their Multiple Intelligences one. I heard Win-Win discipline was good, but I never got to attend.