Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Teachers Talk - BTT

Hi,

What a great idea for a thread, I'm glad that it has made its way to the first page !

I'm finishing up my MSEd and student teaching this semester.

I was assigned to a NYC title 1 school and I LOVE it !

By May I should have certification in NY & NJ and hopefully I will find a job for the Fall.

I'm working on putting together a portfolio for job fairs and if I am lucky enough to get an interview. Does anyone have any advice?

I've told very few people in general that I am banded, but I had to tell my cooperating teacher one day after I tried to eat a Greek salad for lunch ( lettuce no longer agrees with me).

Ivy - I don't know what y'alls teacher shortage situation is like up there, but just the fact that you love teaching Title 1 kiddos should land you a job in a heartbeat. Just smile, answer questions fully without babbling in a rambling way forever, ask questions in return about the potition, and you'll be great. Have prepared answers to questions like, "Why do you want to be a teacher?" or "When did you decide to be a teacher?" or "What qualities do you possess that you feel will help you be a good teacher?" Good luck!

Zeta and Cheer - From what I've read everywhere, spring break should be plenty of time to recuperate. I thought about having it done then but didn't get financing in time and was sorta chicken about doing it and going back to school before I learned what I could and couldn't do. I'd take Soup for lunch every day and save the food experimenting for home. :lol:

Longhorn - Thanks for the warm welcome. Any idea how we go about requesting a board?

Longhorn - Thanks for the warm welcome. Any idea how we go about requesting a board?

I think you can post a request on the LBT Suggestions board near the end of the list of boards. Or you can email Alex using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page. I'd try the Suggestion Board first. Let us know if it gets created in case we miss it!

I am a first grade teacher! I love my job but wish I had more energy while at work. I am waiting to here back from the insurance company (BCBS of TN), before having surgery. Any other teachers here have BCBS of TN? If so how was your experience? By the way I enjoy reading post on this topic!!!

Hi KayKay,

I am from TN too. I have Cigna, but I heard BCBS you have to lose 10%. I'm really not sure what else you have to do. My hubby has BCBS and I that is my secondary insurance. I know I won't be using his because mine pays 100%. Best of Luck!!

I'm an Middle School Teacher... in NJ. I had my band done on a Tuesday, and returned to work that Friday. And like most of you who've experienced the cafeteria's post band, I've learned they are not band friendly, and I've learned to brown bag it!

KayKay - Be sure you read your school's BCBS policy carefully. I have BCBS Texas and my school district elected to not allow any WLS or diet programs. I guess they did it to save money. Beyond that, it seems like every individual policy is a bit different as to the requirements. Just find out the requirements, put the steps on a calendar, and take it one step at a time. Find out if anyone else in your school has had the surgery or another WLS and ask them about any potential pitfalls. Before you know it, things will work out!

I had surgery on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. It was a little tough, as I teach Kindergarten w/o an assistant, but I did ok.

I like to eat Soup or chili most days, and snack on Protein Shakes or bars throughout the day.

I like teaching this age, but I believe I will be teaching middle school next year. What a change that will be!

Is there any new teacher's site. I am a teacher who is soon to be banded and would love to be a part of such a group.

I've never had a minute's trouble with my band and teaching. I did my teachign degree late, finishing last year at the age of 42, and this has been my first year teaching. I am teaching grade six at Chelsea Primary School in Melbourne and I absolutely love it. My kids are gorgeous.

Being banded has made me popular, lol. They dont know of course, I've never told the kids but they love that their teacher is the "skinny pretty one". They always think my clothes are cool and ask where I got them. I would have gotten on well with kids anyway, but its sort of great to have that with the kids. At least I know they're not laughing at my ass when I turn around to the whiteboard!

I have a very well behaved band, I eat anything and everything, just not a lot of it. I've told staff, there's only eight of us teaching there at school anyway, and it's come up naturally in conversation.