Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Teachers Talk - BTT

I will be working at Boone Middle School.

You are a saint!!! The elementary school I teach at feeds into that school. I love the kids, but they are a CHALLENGE as you know. Good for you! I'm moving to middle school next year (not Boone) and I'm very nervous. I love the little ones! But, I got my Ed Leadership from USF, am in the AP pool, and wanted to round out my experiences.

Well i have scheduled a visit at a fill center in St. Pete for the 15th, so hopefully I can get tightened up and back on the road to losing.

I had my second fill there and am going for my 3rd Friday. I love that place.

Hi everyone! Next week I go for a fill. I had a procedure done 2 weeks ago and I went to my surgeon to see If I needed my fill out. He said I didn't for a D&C. I feel alot better now and ready for that fill. My surgeon said I haven't been filled in 1 year!! I have the VG band which is the biggest band. I have 6cc's in me right now..I guess he will give me 8cc's. I guess it will be liquids and then mushy's for me. I want to lose the weight I gained and then work on the rest that I need to lose!! Any words of inspiration here gals?? I could use a few:) But I am optimistic that I will begin to lose weight again. The good thing is I will be able to exercise again. I do find when I exercise and eat the program...I lose weight. I am just thinking positive!! I'll keep you all informed. Anybody wanting to write me please feel free. I'd love to hear from you. We can help each other stay on track. Share teacher ideas too!!Have a super day!! Jan xo

Wow what a great thread!!

I had a BIG career change and have started as a teacher this year. I was banded while at uni and the weight never really fell off unfortunately. Lots of sitting around drinking coffee etc lol. Even a band won't do much for that I found. Lots of late night eating while rushing assignments didn't help.

Then I started work. Where I work in Australia, permanent teaching jobs are rare so I was very fortunate (most graduates are given contracts to start with) AND unbelievably it was at the school my two children attend. This was a dream come true for me...so fantastic I hadn't even allowed myself to hope for it...

HOWEVER...I had always planned to teach middle school (years 6 - 9)...and the principal offered me YEAR ONE :) OMG :faint: I had avoided all early childhood discussions etc at uni...so to the absolute HILARITY of my uni friends I began the year as a year one teacher and while I never imagined this job could be so hard I am absolutely loving it.

In the first term (10 weeks) I lost 18 lbs!! All that bending down tying up shoelaces lol. It's certainly an active age group which has been great for me. All the clothes I started the school year with are too big now.

I found the "risky" eating had to end. There is now way I would EVER risk a block, so I am very careful with what I eat which means it's usually healthy which is great.

I am a high school science teacher in New England. I teach Anatomy to 11 & 12 grades. I have been at it for 15 years and really love my job.

I was just banded on 7/13. All has gone very well. I feel good, I am exercising again but eager to get off liquids. I too, have been concerned about eating lunch, but I eat with friends who all know about the surgery so that should be ok. I just hate to have to leave the room if I am sick-Never turn your back on a room full of adolescents!!!!!

Look forward to hearing from all of you. Happy banding!

I am a Litearcy Coach in a pk-5 elementary school! Glad to find you all here. I was banded 5/4/07. I have done well this summer, and I think being back in the hustle and bustle of the school year will only help me stick to my diet!

I love being off for summer!!! I have been trying to stay in my pool all afternoon each day to avoid snacking!

I am also praying for a new job, so if anyone wants to send me good vibes, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Hi fellow teachers,

I am so glad I was sent to this thread. I'm not banded yet, and it looks like it'll be close to the begininng of the school year when I have the surgery done, and I have really began to get worried about handling everything. I am a special Ed. teacher in the Cleveland area and am look foward to my new banded life but as many of you know and have shared, the short lunch periods and infrequent bathroom breaks really scare me, since I haven't told anyone I'm having wls. Anyway just wanted to introduce myself. Talk to you all soon.

By the way, how soon did you return to work after getting banded???

I was banded on a Friday and went back to work on Tuesday. I could have used longer, but I just didn't have the days to take off. I also can sit down a lot in my job, so I think that was easier for me. I don't think I could have been on my feet all day that soon.

Everyone is different, so it is really hard to tell!

I have been a high school teacher for 10 years. Teaching business/computers/art. This next year I will be an elementary art teacher teaching K-5th. I am looking forward to working with the little ones, as the big ones have about done me in.

I have had several band related issues, and as a closet bandster, it has been rather hard. I do not want the teenagers to know, because they can be very unkind at times. The worst episode was when I was too tight during TAKS, and PB/D and slimed my coffee from 9 am to 11. Hard to keep a good testing face when you are spiting up into your cup and trying to make like you are sipping coffee... but I pulled thru it.

Then one day, it was 3:30 and I had forgotten to take my medicines at lunch, so I thought, it was close enough to the end of the day. The moment I swallowed I thought I was going to die. Ended up at the back sink throwing up with all the teenagers freaking out. Nice way to end the day...

I don't eat with co-workers most days, or just drink a Protein shake and tell them I am dieting. I don't like getting stuck at work. It is uncomfortable the rest of the day.

Have made it a year in the closet with my family/inlaws/school. Since I have not lost that much, it makes it easier on me. I would hate to think about what they would say if they knew I had WLS and still have such a fat hinney.

Any suggestions for art projects with the little ones?

Howdy Fellow Teachers,

I teach bilingual Sped K-2nd in Central Texas. I love my job with a passion but it can be very exhauting as we all know. I am going to be banded in a week and am a little nervous about going back to school and setting up my room, I am afraid all that moving stuff around is going to hurt me somehow. Also, I am terrified of PB in front of the kids. Once my nose bled due to allergies and they completely freaked out! On the other hand, it will be nice not having my Asperger kid grab my arm and say " Why is there so much fat hanging in here?" and " Miss, you are pregnant!" Oh yes, they are very honest!!!

I am also hoping to start my masters in Reading next year. I love teaching kids how to read and want to get better at it.

BTW, this is a great thread!

Hi I am a second grade teacher in NJ. I am not banded yet but have a date for surgery on Aug. 13th. I can't wait! Everything was sent to the insurance company on July 18th so I hope to here good news soon.

Nice meeting you all!

Hello fellow educators!

Haven't read this thread in a while due to summer college classes.

Everybody seems ready for a well deserved break.

In my school district, late work is graded no higher than a 70% and it must all be turned in one week prior to the end of a grading period.

I had my surgery on 4-27-07 and had lots of concerns about what I could and couldn't eat during our 30 minute lunch. What seemed to work best was the WW Smart Ones dinners and the Healthy Choice dinners. I tried a few Lean Cuisine dinners, but didn't like the flavor.

As for BPing in front of your students...try doing it in front of the whole faculty at a working lunch on inservice day...lol! I was sitting with the head principal and an assistant principal and some turkey got stuck. I excused myself to a trash can at the far corner of the commons and stood there with my back to everyone until it passed. One of the science teachers brought me some wet/dry paper towels and after about 10 minutes it all passed.

Everybody hang in there and have a good week!

Whew, you had to be soooo embarassed!!!! :embarassed: I am sure something like that will happen to me or worse yet at Open House, in front of all the parents and their children!!! Yikes!!! I teach K4 children and the little ones would be soooooo freaked out!!! I am concerned about that, but they are also very sympathetic and loving!!! So hopefully, that would be the way it would go, lol!:)

Hey, Kity, just found this thread. I am a "retired" teacher...AKA went into a non-ed field because the teaching was too tough on my family. I've been out of the classroom almost 10 years...still miss it though, and maybe I'll go back after kids' college cost is paid!

As for SRA, here is their website:

https://www.sraonline.com/products_main.html?PHPSESSID=768bccbc28f1dacf2ad760ef2849906a

If that doesn't work, do an internet search of "SRA reading", that will get you to the McGraw-Hill publisher's page, and then you can search by title "SRA".

Good luck to you in your new position! Just remember - you as the teacher are the PROFESSIONAL. Don't let a curriculum guide tell you what to do...it was written by some unknown "editor". You are the one who is the expert on what your kids need to succeed!

I have had a couple of close calls with PBing in class, before I learned my lesson! All it took was a little cracker, and of course trying to eat just one more bite. I was back in class trying to "tough it out" but that didn't work. Luckily, I had an aide in my class and asked her to watch the kids and I RAN to the ladies room. It happened about 3 different times before I decided to just start drinking a Soup at hand and eating cottage cheese for lunch. Sometimes I'll have a Protein shake if I am feeling particularly tight. And I have also been known to skip a lunch here and there. I really like being able to talk with other adults during lunch so I usually at least try and pop in.

the end of the year was really tough, we went out to eat a few times, and I felt compelled to order something. Of course I got stuck and had to excuse myself to the restroom.

Few people know that I am banded, although I have started telling more and more as I am kind of past the point of feeling like I might fail and look stupid for having taken that step.

Lunch time is far too short for a proper bandster lunch. but, having the opportunity to touch base with my peers is what keeps me going back to the lunch room.

At the end of the year, I thought I'd check out the cafeteria, since I had not visited it all year, and the lunch ladies were all SHOCKED about how much weight I had lost, it was great.

Anyhow, whenever I really think I'm gonna PB, I make sure to find a restroom. That is embarrassing enough, I can't even imagine having to use a trash can, yuck!

I'm a Middle School Music Teacher in Michigan, where I teach Band. So I've been "banded" for years ... just the kind that includes trombones, and clarinets!

horn.gifBanane57.gifviolin.gifBanane08.gifdrum.gif

I'm looking forward to getting my surgery in late August, however I wish it would be during the summer vacation, and not so close to the beginning of the school year. I would have like having the summer to have adjusted to the new way of eating.

I'm going to take people's advise and plan on eating in my room. I'll keep the meals real simple until I get the hang of things, to try and keep the sliming incidents down! I'm also very close to the Teacher's Lounge, so in an emergency I could get to the bathroom quickly.

Due to back pain I've been on crutches most of last year, so getting around my classroom was difficult. I can't wait to be able to jump up and walk around my room!! My kids were ultra-cooperative last year, but it still was a pain to have to ask them to do all the little stuff (ie: close the door, open the shade, erase the board, pick-up the paper, etc)!

I am recently banded and am looking for some ideas and suggestions about the second stage of eating. I am so sick of those Protein Shakes as I am sure everyone was at this stage. What can I expect next as far as weight loss and food? I am so glad to have found this site!