Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Vitamins and Nausea

I use the Celebrate chewable vitamins. I take them with my Protein Shakes. This morning I took one on an empty small banana shaped stomach and began sipping Water. The nausea was terrible. Has anyone else had this? Did I take the Vitamin wrong? Will this get better?

Even before surgery I could never take any Vitamin on an empty stomach, always made me sick. I take my Vitamins with my morning Protein drink after I have had a few sips.

I would say lesson learned and go back to taking them with your Protein Drink.

I take my Vitamins before bed - seems to curb any issues that I used to have and now it's just part of the ol' routine. I hope it gets better for you!

I haven't been sleeved yet, but I can tell you, that if I take Vitamins before I eat, I will throw up.

I take flintstone chewables (with iron) and use Calcium gummies from costco. I used the fancy WLS calcium chews for a while but they are so expensive. Sometimes I'll take the antioxidant blend Multivitamin from Trader Joe's if I'm out of Flintstones.

I've had two rounds of full Vitamin panels since being sleeved (and had the blood work done for my third today) and so far my Vitamin levels have all been right on track, even using the cheaper Vitamins.

I'm coming up on three years out.

I take Celebrate chewables after I eat something. Then I brush my teeth. They are ok but not my favorite taste. :)

I use Bariatric Advantage Vitamins. I have to take two a day so I started with one 30 mins after Breakfast and one 30-40 minutes after dinner. For the first two nights I woke up feeling like I could taste the Vitamin. Didn't care for that at all. So I switched to after Breakfast and after lunch. Much better!!

I can swallow these Vitamins so I am grateful for that. I also do my calcium chews twice a day. I was going to buy the Bariatric chews but they were $31. Well I found calcium chews at costco, Kirkland brand chocolate flavor and they are pretty yummy. They taste as close to a tootsie roll without actual eating a tootsie roll. :)

The Kirkland brand calcium chews are Calcium carbonate, bariatric patients need calcium citrate....that is what I was told.

The Kirkland brand calcium chews are Calcium carbonate, bariatric patients need calcium citrate....that is what I was told.

I have a call into my doc's office, I will ask them about this. I don't remember them mentioning anything about either carbonate or citrate?? I know they told me if I didn't want to buy the Bariatric Advantage ones I could do tums.

Thanks for the heads up, believe me I want to make sure I am taking the right stuff.

My dr's office said to not take the Celebrate Vitamin all at once. I could break it up and eat pieces throughout the day.
I was also told that the normal Calcium chocolate chews are not the right kind of calcium for bariatric patients.

I called my doc's office this morning and the Kirkland sugar free chocolate chews are just fine for me they said. Continue taking 3 a day!

I feel better and as with anything else on these boards it amazes me the differences from doctor to doctor.

Thanks again though, it never hurts to double check on things!!!

GNC has a new chewable Men's Vitamin. It is fruity and moist, not a dry chalky chewable. Also I found a chewable vitamin D/calcium supplement at BJ's that tastes like a Tootsie roll. It's called Viactiv. Here is a pic of them. Hope this helps.post-234548-141661535649_thumb.jpg.

Thanks for that. I actually emailed my nutritionist this week because all I hear about regarding calcium is usually NOT citrate. P.s. I got Caltrate mini's. :)

Edited by downsizingdiva

My nutritionist was pretty emphatic to get citrate and not carbonate. I was bummed because the calcium citrate chewables I have taste awful and the Calcium carbonate Vitamins I bought from costco were pretty good. I'm just gonna grind it out until I can start taking normal pills.

My doc said calcium citrate +D. I take multi 2xs s day, Calcium 2xs a day, extra D 2xs & I take a sublingual B12 1x a day. I always take them after I've eaten

The Kirkland brand calcium chews are calcium carbonate, bariatric patients need calcium citrate....that is what I was told.

Edited by BLERDgirl