Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Causes Appetite Loss after WLS?

An international throng of obesity researchers, providers and surgeons is in Boston this week sharing information, ideas and research. Here's your Thursday update from Bariatric Pal's reporter at large, Elizabeth Anderson, RD.

Very interesting news from Obesity Week presentation in Boston.

Research has shown after SG or GB (in rats...I know, I know!):

1. appetite decreases due to brain changes-- not just limited stomach size

2. the brain literally changes after repeated episodes of sickness after eating too much. Aversive

conditioning makes the idea of some foods or overeating--disgusting

3. no one single hormone or nerve is solely responsible for decreased appetite

4. there's a strengthening in the executive control or restraint part of the brain

5. the very low cal diet prior to surgery mimics the appetite suppression seen after gastric bypass surgery. In other words, we're training the brain new ways to approach food, before surgery

6. there's a change in the reward system of the brain after WLS

7. formerly obese rats have less drive for concentrated sweets and fat than their lean pals

Fascinating! We'll watch to see the implications for humans.

Funny, but i disagree. I never had episodes of sickness and my pre-surgery diet was like all the other diets I've done. I'm now just full with just a little food because of my small pouch.

As a lap bander.....Don't know what it is, exactly, I would say it is tied to the Brain somehow,,,,but I just have no interest in food, and no desire to eat...I can take it or leave it....

And if I do get a rare craving, desire...one or two bites and I realize I really didn't want it in the first place and throw it out.

Has nothing to do with sickness, etc, it's just a "State of Mind"

In the early stages, it started with my "tastes" for food dramatically changing.....food just did jot taste the same.

Also, I have never had this "Feeling Full" thing many other Lap Banders talk about.

When I eat a meal, there comes a moment when I just don't want to continue.

I'm like the little boy playing with his vegetables at the dinner table....just don't want to do it.

I have my theories as to why, but they are just that...my theories and do not fit into any of the research listed by the OP.

Will have to admit, I Love it!!!! My problem was uncontrolled eating, and cravings all day long....and all that is now behind me regardless where I'm at, a family get together, vacations, parties, does that matter.

I don't need strategies to cope with things like Halloween candy, upcoming holidays, etc.

I agree with B-52. It only took ONE time where I ate too much and threw up to cure me of EVER trying that again!

I got the slimies once too. I don't know if it happens with lap bands or other WLS. It's where you eat too much and a mucous like substance comes up.

Maybe twice is enough to create an aversion to eating too much?

I'd like to see more research into the gut flora related to cravings. I believe my gut flora has changed since surgery. I don't crave sweets like I did before surgery--now I want savory, salty and high Protein foods.

Thank you for sharing the information with us!

Blessings,

Kathleen

What loss of appetite?

Kindle

I'm with you, if I don't eat I get hungery!

I am only 3 weeks out but since surgery, have had very little appetite and no real temptation for anything "bad" I did smell bacon once, that set me in a stupor. BACONNNNN!

Dont really feel any hunger unless i went way past meal time.

Wanted to eat bad, (comfort food) to placate my rough day yesterday, but didnt. made me happy happy!

I think it's all about the chewing and swallowing -- that connection between the esophagus and brain, which then provides a signal for satiety. I did not have that before my band. For me it has nothing to do with eating to some kind of capacity. The band won't let me overdo it but that isn't the point -- I don't get to that place as I don't want it. I feel hunger and welcome it now, but when I've had enough I've had enough. Like others, I find I get bored with the food, playing with it or just not interested anymore. That tells me that I'm done. If I'm still hungry, however, I don't deprive myself. To me this is key -- not to be too restrictive with myself so that I have a bounce-back to that all or nothing kind of thinking, or good/bad. I do still love food -- I enjoy choosing it, preparing it, serving it and, mostly, eating it. But I'm much less interested in the latter than I am in the whole experience of dining. I like the bites of yummy food but it's such a pleasure to be available for all the other experiences around me rather than being hyper-focused on what's next, what can I have, is there more, etc.

I find all of this very interesting. Our signals for hunger and cravings etc. come from the hormones produced by our organs and the food we eat. I can see how the GB and VSG change those by removing the glands that are associated with the production of those hormones and or bypassing them all together.

As a banded patient that does not happen and it's more of a physical response to eating that sets those signals off to release hormones to the brain. All in all it's the brain that is the control center...and the way our hormones are triggered the amounts and types of hormones and the way our body responds to them that affect what the brains response is going to be, which is probably why the affects of surgery are different for everyone.

That's just my 2c

Bander here. My appetite is dimmed and cravings really are gone. I'm eight months post op and down over 100 pounds with 53 to go. I eat delicious food but I don't crave like I used to. I'm not hungry between meals since I found my green zone but I do get nervous and agitated and jittery from stress and now I notice that instead of eating it away. I'm practicing self care in ways other than eating. It takes tons of practice. I stopped tv eating before surgery and never went back. So when I eat I eat. I think the dimmed appetite and lack of cravings is mostly from new habits and a properly filled band. Mostly new habits. I truly believe if I started eating sliders/more food regularly I would start craving them.

Edited by JustWatchMe

Kindle

I'm with you, if I don't eat I get hungery!

Same...that's actually when I know it's time to eat. I have never lost my appetite. I just eat to live now, not live to eat :P

I lost my appetite Big Time! Probably it's different for everyone. I trained myself before surgery by eating clean and low carb for 2 months pre-op without any requirement from my surgeon and now I have almost zero interest in food. I'd still love to eat delicious food but nothing really pleases me and I'm ok with it. Only have to eat 4 times a day for living.

Who has lost their appetite? Certainly not me. I get hungey, since about one month out. But it's different, I get hungry, I eat and it's done.

I was sleeved on 10/9/14. I still get hungary, but food makes me hurt now. I get very full fast ( 3 oz) and most foods give me a pain in my esophagus and stomach. I can handle 3 oz of cottage cheese, but most foods are uncomfortable for me. So, I am better off just having a taste and walk away.

I did poach salmon and learned to chew chew chew. I thought taking 30 minutes to eat 3 oz was ridiculous, But honestly, I have to chew so much it takes me close to 30 to eat a meal.

Since my surgery I don't get hungry. I look at the clock so I know when its time to eat.its like my appetite button got turned off. Awesome.