Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I saw someone post on here (and now I can't find it) where she stayed on Protein Shakes much longer than required and that seemed to aid not only in her weight loss initially, but also gave her new tummy extra long to heal and repair before moving onto pureed and mushies. If I remember correctly it was about 2-3 months she did this post op. Granted, this approach would mean that one would actually have to tolerate shakes to be able to remain their sanity, but has anyone else heard of this option?

That's interesting and am curious myself. My surgeon is keeping me on full liquids for two weeks as opposed to one. He explained that the extra week is for additional healing time. This is fine with me because I certainly do not want to rush it!

Bobbyswife.......that's what I intend on doing?? There are so many ways to dress up a Protein shake just like there is many ways to dress up ground beef. There are so many different brands and flavors of Protein. They do not all taste alike......so try some different ones every other week or so. Here is my thinking.........why rush back in to food?? What got a person to being in the boat that they are in to have to go through WLS......food!?!?!? Thats just my thought....my opinion.

I am also on full liquids for two weeks, but I'm crossing my fingers that who ever did this will see it :)

There are some wonderful juice cleanses I've done that really make you feel wonderful and nourished! It might be good for cleansing the body of all the anesthetics and pain meds after surgery, as well. I'm sure they could mix them to help you can get the Protein in, as well. Might be a nice alternative periodically from the shakes.

I intend to use my Vitamix a ton! As expensive as that thing was, its about time it paid for itself! :P

I have been on one Protein shake a day for about a year.

I am 10 months post surgery and I actually enjoy making my own Protein shakes using combinations of Protein powders, fruit, and Torani sugar free syrups. Six days a week I start the day with 30+ grams of protein, which keeps me full for about three to four hours.

I was on a full liquid diet for about six weeks after surgery because of a complication, and used ready to drink shakes. I have not had one of those for about 9 months. They are very convenient but are limited in flavor profile.

My NUT does not have a problem with what I am doing, in fact she suggested it. It works well with my active lifestyle

I'm over 10 months out and still have a Protein Shake everyday. I start with any number of base flavors (vanilla, chocolate, banana, strawberry, cake batter, Apple, lemonade, cherry, peach, piña colada) and mix in Torani syrups, mio or dasani flavor drops, fruit, berries, PB2, etc. and my Fiber supplement. Basically whatever I'm in the mood for that morning. I make a large (24-32oz) smoothie with 30-40g Protein and drink it as a mid-day snack. This frees me up to eat a healthier balance of fruits, veggies and whole grains rather than having to eat protein for every single meal and snack. My sleeve is too tiny for both.

Edited by Kindle

My mom is 3 years post op and continues to substitute two shakes a day for meals. She's maintained her 140+ weight loss and directly contributes her success to keeping her shakes in her meal plan. I plan to keep to liquids as long as I can.

BTW...I attended a WL support group with her this week where she shared this with the members. I was amazed at how many sleevers who no longer substituted Protein shakes. It seemed like it would easier in the long run...

WOW! These are all great suggestions! It's great to see all the interesting feedback.

I was prescribed full liquids for 2 weeks, which for me was mostly Protein Shakes and yogurt, (never cared for broth or creamed soup). After that point my doc just wanted to know, "are you advancing your diet"? He didn't want me drinking all my food. Even today at 13 months out, I do 2 Protein supplements most days, a scoop of whey in my coffee and a bar in the afternoon.

Edited by bikrchk

I make myself a Protein power shake first thing in the morning. Several reasons, it helps to ensure I'm getting all my Protein in for the day, I take my daily supplements mixed in with it which also helps from making me nauseated from them, it gets my metabolism started right away and not only that I do a workout early in the morning and immediately after we should get a minimum of 15g protein to help repair the damage from it. Whew... long winded... did you get all that? ;)

I've been doing this since 2008. I'm fine and in fact I believe is a huge reason why I don't look run down, instead healthy. No one would ever suspect I had WLS. Not that I'm hiding it, I just don't want to look like I'm all sucked up.

I think at some point I want to be completely free of all sugar substitutes. I've never been a big Breakfast eater so my plan when I get a month or two out, have Protein shakes as my Breakfast every day using unflavored Protein powder and add yogurt, fruit, etc. to it to flavor it up. At some point I want to try and do a juice cleanse maybe 6 months out.