Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your exercise regimen?

Just wondering what everyone does for exercise, and how long and how often you exercise for?

Currently I walk on the treadmill for a half hour each day (5x a week minimum) at 3.5 mph, then right afterwards I stretch for another half hour.

:rolleyes: For two nonconsective days a week I do strength training: one day with free weights, and the other with body weight resistance. 15 minutes upper / 15 minutes lower
?).
Every day: I walk 1 mile (+/-) equivalent, to exercise dvd with Leslie Sasson(sp?). This takes about 1/2 hour for me since sometimes I use my walker.

Six days a week, I put on some music and dance like nobody's watching. 30 minutes

I have a variety (over 30) exercise DVDs including Richard Simmons, Hip Hop Abs, Hula, Salsa, Bollywood, Pussycat Dolls, Zumba..... Crazy. Even though my form sucks,

I am trying to make fun out of this.

That is for good days when I am able to move around a bit.

On other days (when my orthopedic issues are unbearable and I am medicated enough to make life worth living) I will use my bedridden exercise dvd, or one of my chair exercise DVDs for seniors.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And remember, sweat is fat crying.

Since 10 days post-op I started with walking (faster and faster) One and a half hour everyday until it started to rain so I joined a gym near my work place where they have a few dancing workout classes so it became my workout regime.

Monday - L.I.A. (Low impact aerobic dance) 1 hour

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday- Sh'bam 45 minutes, Body balance (yoga&pilates) 1 hour

Thursday- rest

Friday- Zumba fitness 1 hour

Saturday - Sh'bam 45 minutes, weight lifting 1 hour

Sunday - Zumba 1 hour

The rest days I try walking around (shopping lol) to get 10,000 steps per day.

Now I'm addicted to dancing workout. If I couldn't go to the gym on my class day I feel so upset!

I go to a Water aerobics class 3x/week. and 10 min stretching exercises at home 2 days per week. I hope to do more walking but right now I'm too unsteady and afraid I'd fall somewhere and would't be able to get home.

Edited by Gibble

This is my weak area. I need to find a way to exercise daily. Just something so I move. I teach pre k so I'm definitely not sitting much during the day but I need to find something I like!

I walked like crazy starting just before and continuing more so after surgery (April 2014) and then started s l o w l y jogging with a "Couch to 5k" app on my phone - it was great, and I've never yet had any pain or injury, since it's such a gradual ramping up. I only do the jogging thing every other day (3 x per week) for about 45 minutes - which include a five minute warm up and cool down walk. Then 3 more days a week I go to the gym and do a strength training routine that's called functional training. That means it uses more free weights or cable-weights and less the 'machine' style, so you're doing moves more like what is normally 'functional' in your real life. It a routine my trainer puts together for me and it takes about 30 minutes, including 10 minutes of warm up on a non-impact elliptical those gym days. Then one day a week is a rest day. I also use a Fitbit and aim for 7 flights of stairs each day and about 3 miles minimum - it's obviously more on jogging days! I did a 5k last weekend, and was delighted to find I could jog the whole way now, and cut 6 minutes off my (very slow!) time too. For reference, I"m 53 years old, gastric sleeve procedure, surgery weight was 276 and current weight is 204.

I walk 4 miles a day on some days but lately I've been going 1 1/2 - 2 hours on recumbent bike starting level 4 up to level 10. When I am done I look like I just got out of shower.... I am logging everything I eat. Still it's somewhat of a conundrum because I seem to be losing the same, if not less, weight as before I started exercising. The first 10-15 minutes is hard, then I get into it and enjoy it.

Also, I know it's good to rest a day but if I do, I am afraid I'll not get back so I don't miss any days....

Edited by Nevermind

5 days per week I spend 50-60 minutes on my stationary bike followed by 2 or 3 sets of 10 regular push ups and 60+ crunches. I wear a heart rate monitor and it usually registers a 400-450 calorie burn these days. Used to be 600+ calories, before I got fit :-/

Getting back into exercises is the hardest for me. I need to do what biker chick and Nevermind is doing.

Trust me. It's hard when you start but I really am enjoying working out...start slowly and find a couple different things to do. Fight through it and you may be surprised how much you like it....and you feel so much better about yourself. Good luck.

I started out exercising right out of the gate. Did what my body tolerated, which was walking. I used my fit bit as my motivator and gradually increased my steps each day. First week was happy to get in 2000 steps. Moved up to 4,000 then 6,000 then 8,000 and so on. 10,000 steps = just shy of 5 miles. Today, at almost 4 months out I average 22,000 -24,000 steps each day. I break up my walks into two sessions in order to reach that average. Overall time spent walking each day ranges between 2-3 hours total. I have lost 50 pounds, weighing today at 176 pounds. So now I need to up my game. I fear that I am not getting in enough cardio in high level heart range. I do own a recumbent bike and elliptical so I could change it up a bit. Until now all my walking has been outside. In Washington we live outside every minute we can during the summer, before we go back into the rainy season. Ha! I take my dog on my walks. Even she is losing weight! ????. I would love to join the YMCA and get back into lap swimming, but I don't have the funds for monthly fees. Make too much money for low income discounted rates, and not enough money to pay bills AND join gym! I do have a WII and love the Zumba program. I think that will be my next addition to my walking program. Regardless, I know it is important to keep moving as much as possible. I am fortunate that I have the time available, since I am retired. I feel for those that work full time and have kids at home. That makes getting time in for yourself very hard! For me it is just me, my husband and my doggy. Hubby walks with me a lot and he has lost 30 pounds with no surgery!

Monday - A.M. 30 minutes cardio 30 minutes weights

P.M. Zumba 1 hour

Tuesday - Zumba

Wedneday - Rest

Thursday - Zumba

Friday - 30 minutes cardio

30 minutes weights

Saturday- Zumba

Sunday - Rest

Edited by Derouin4

I am two weeks out. My doctor said 30 minutes of walking 7 days a week til 6 weeks out and not much more. Mainly due to calorie restriction and healing.

I started just like you did with a treadmill a few times a week. I did the couch to 5k app on my phone, honestly because the treadmill seemed like the least intimidating thing at the gym. :-) From there I just kind of fell in love with running. So currently I am training for a half marathon, so my exercise is pretty much dictated by my training schedule. At the moment I run a base run 3 days/week, a long run on the weekend, cross training (cycling, a class at the gym, etc) 2 days and 1 day rest. After my 1/2 and before I start training again for the full I will probably decrease 1-2 days of running and add some more strength training. Hope that helps!