Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Popcorn? Okay or Not?

I was just curious what the thoughts were out there on popcorn. Thanks in advance.

I had some about 5 weeks out and was fine. Start small and remember it is empty Carbs.

Will be good to see what everyone says here. I LOVE popcorn, but have not had any for fear the kernels will tear my pouch up! And it is just carbs, so really no nutritional value. I have been using almonds as a snack when I get the craving for munchies ..... at least they are protein!! I am 3 1/2 months out and have less than one pound to my 1/2 way goal of 73 lbs!!

They say popcorn is not good :( I haven't had any and I love popcorn,..I'll be afraid to try it

Check with your nutritionist! !!!!!

Thanks wasn't sure I will check with the nutritionist.

I didn't try popcorn till sometime between 6 and 9 months post-op, for 2 reasons.

1. I was always worried that some of the pieces would get lodged in my staple line (if it wasn't fully healed).

2. I was eating so little that I really needed to get as much nutrition as I could per calorie.

My 1st time eating popcorn, I could only eat 1/2 of a 100 calorie bag. Sometime after the 1 year mark, I was able to eat an entire bag. I could probably hold more, but I limit myself to 1 100 calorie microwave bag every couple of days.

I was talking about popcorn today. I only ate it once about every 3 months or so before the surgery, and I have had a craving for it here lately.

I was pretty sure it was one of the things listed as not to eat, along with seeds and nuts, which I also like!

I have it once in awhile , but I have to really chew it & you know the kernels that aren't popped all the way but have just a little white on them , I used to love them but now I stay away from them because I don't want anything stuck or making me uncomfortable , if I feel them I will spit them out .

I was talking about popcorn today. I only ate it once about every 3 months or so before the surgery, and I have had a craving for it here lately.

I was pretty sure it was one of the things listed as not to eat, along with seeds and nuts, which I also like!

Nuts were highly reccomended In my diet since they are high in Protein

I love pistachios, almonds and peanuts,..I eat my yogurt with crushed amonds otherwise I couldn't eat the plain yogurt

Nuts were highly reccomended In my diet since they are high in Protein

I love pistachios, almonds and peanuts,..I eat my yogurt with crushed amonds otherwise I couldn't eat the plain yogurt

I think it is ok for me 6-9 months out, but I am only just under 7 weeks.

I started eating pistachios a month after surgery but hey we are all different :)

I was told no by my nutritionist. She say why go back down that path after surgery.

I am a real popcorn nut. it is one snack I can eat without problem. but I used a air popper and some real melted butter on it. and than all of sudden it isn't in my thoughts anymore. I don't think I have had it for months and months. I have more problems with nuts than I did with popcorn

Yeah, I agree with Debbie. I was told by the support team/nutritionist that nuts were very good substitutes to eat rather than chips or popcorn. Lots of nutrients in almonds. Roasted salt-free peanuts and roasted no salt sunflower seeds are both great sprinkled over salads or mixed with cottage cheese. They satisfy the chewing urge that one gets when ingesting so much whey, cottage cheese, Protein Drinks, and yogurt--all which require no chewing.