Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PBS special "The Mormons" made me furious!

I certainly don't understand all the tenants of the Mormon church. I think the whole underwear thing is a little strange, but hey....I'm Catholic and lots of people don't "get" us, either. We get blasted a lot for baptizing babies, but so do Presbyterians, Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, and others, but they NEVER seem to get flack over that. The thing that REALLY pisses me of, though, is when someone states with utter and complete "authority" that "Catholics worship statues" (or the Virgin Mary).

I'm all for allowing each person to follow his/her own path in peace and harmony.

we believe everyone will have the opportunity accept the Gospel dead or Alive. so, people who die before judgment day are sort of waiting, and will have the opportunity to learn and accept it.

Oh.

Well, I for one have already rejected it now, while I'm alive. So how do I go about making sure my name doesn't get selected after I'm dead, just in the off-chance, you know, that after I die I really would not have the capability to decide since I will not have a functioning brain, and also since I will not have the ability to then inform the living the living of my after-death decision (or do you all also have some kind of portal where you can receive messages from the dead as well?)

so you obviously have no care for religion at all, that's your choice, but knowing what we believe to be true, don't you think that if you accepted after death, God would know? after all he is there. and knowing what we know about the afterlife, did you not realize that we don't believe we are brain dead? we believe you are still yourself, just in a perfected body like Jesus was after he rose from the dead. so no, obviously we don't believe there is a "portal"

I don't think you can protect your name from being baptised, i would think you would be flattered that someone loved you enough to take time out of their busy schedule to spend the day at the Temple doing your ordinances. They would believe they were doing the right thing regardless of what you believe. Who cares, you don't believe in heaven right? so why would it matter if someone spoke your name in The House of the Lord? When there is no Lord to you anyhow, so it means nothing to you. Who cares?

we believe everyone will have the opportunity accept the Gospel dead or Alive. so, people who die before judgment day are sort of waiting, and will have the opportunity to learn and accept it. The thing is that we are all God's children and he wants with all of his heart for us to return to live with him, so he has made it possible that all of the ordinances have been restored to the Earth in these days and that everyone will have an opportunity to accept his Plan. So that's what we believe, in a nutshell, other mormons, my returned missionary husband could probablly explain it better than I, but that's how I think of it.

So it sounds like you believe that we don't know whether or not we are going to heaven until Judgement day? OK, that makes more sense to me. Thanks.

So it sounds like you believe that we don't know whether or not we are going to heaven until Judgement day? OK, that makes more sense to me. Thanks.

yes thats it.

I'm all for allowing each person to follow his/her own path in peace and harmony.

I am too, totally, as long as they are not harming others, or taking other's rights away.

What I saw last night seemed to be showing the taking of other's rights, such as excommunicating people from the person's lifelong community, baptising dead people who can't speak for themselves, and the subordination of women.

Not to mention the rampant child rape in that culture.

That's when I get mad at religion.

I certainly don't understand all the tenants of the Mormon church. I think the whole underwear thing is a little strange, but hey....I'm Catholic and lots of people don't "get" us, either. We get blasted a lot for baptizing babies, but so do Presbyterians, Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, and others, but they NEVER seem to get flack over that. The thing that REALLY pisses me of, though, is when someone states with utter and complete "authority" that "Catholics worship statues" (or the Virgin Mary).

exactly Carlene, I think a majority of relgions are of God and are doing great things for people and I am all for it wether it be Mormons or baptists or catholics. I think that if you want to know whether a catholic worships statues, read their bible and talk to a Priest and ask them, don't ask some X catholics who are sour with the church and probablly didn't even know enough about it to be stating fact.

If you understood the underware i don't think you would find it strange. At least that was my case, I am a convert and thought it th to be very strange until i understood the reasons. Basically, without going into detail they are symbolic of different things, that's all. nothing weird, just a reminder to yourself

My first husband's mother was a pistol. She raised him Southern Baptist, because that's what she was raised. But he married me and joined the Catholic church. She got up and walked out of her own church in the middle of her minister's sermon because he said Catholic's were going to hell. Now that her son was one of "them", it was suddenly personal to her. Interesting how our perspectives change, isn't it?

I don't think you can protect your name from being baptised, i would think you would be flattered that someone loved you enough to take time out of their busy schedule to spend the day at the Temple doing your ordinances.

Who cares?

Because I do care, and I am not flattered, and I think it sucks that anyone thinks they have the right to impose their wacked-out beliefs onto me.

You want to believe some delusional crazy crap, that's up to you, but don't tell me that I don't have a right to exclude my name from being baptized, because I do have the right, and no one else has the right except for me, to baptize me into any religion.

This is what makes me so angry about Mormons and about religion. You all think that you have the right to have domain over other people and to assert your beliefs on to other's names, people who have NO desire to be in any way associated with a cult-like "religion" that denigrates women, rapes children, and participates in some really funky weird things and emotionally abuses its members.

It's sickening. I wouldn't stand in the way of letting anyone do whatever psycho mumbo jumbo they want to, but don't go dragging my name into it!

I am astounded that you actually responded I should be "flattered". That is so patronizing.

If you understood the underware i don't think you would find it strange. At least that was my case, I am a convert and thought it th to be very strange until i understood the reasons. Basically, without going into detail they are symbolic of different things, that's all. nothing weird, just a reminder to yourself

I'm waiting for someone to post "What's so different about Mormon underwear". :target:

I don't think you can protect your name from being baptised, i would think you would be flattered that someone loved you enough to take time out of their busy schedule to spend the day at the Temple doing your ordinances.

Who cares?B

You want to believe some delusional crazy crap, that's up to you, but don't tell me that I don't have a right to exclude my name from being baptized, because I do have the right, and no one else has the right except for me, to baptize me into any religion.

This is what makes me so angry about Mormons and about religion. You all think that you have the right to have domain over other people and to asing sert your beliefs on to other's names, people who have NO desire to be in any way associated with a cult-like "religion" that denigrates women, rapes children, and participates in some really funky weird things and emotionally abuses its members.

It's sickening. I wouldn't stand in the way of letting anyone do whatever psycho mumbo jumbo they want to, but don't go dragging my name into it!

I am astounded that you actually responded I should be "flattered". That is so patronizing.

YOu must not be speaking of the Mormon religion! I don't know of any rapings of children or anything else that you speak of. You're views are terribly skewed. Sorry you have such a warped knowledge of the religion. And I mean terrible warped.

If you care that much about being baptised after death , call the chuch headquarters and ask them what to do about it. maybe they can somehow remove your name. I don't know how it works. I think there are othe more important things to be so passionate about. since you don't seem to have any belief in God. Before i do something, I ask myself what positive will come out of it? so what positive impact would it have to call the Church make a big stink, embaress yourself with your skewed knowledge of what these people believe, just to make sure your name isn't spoken after you are dead in their Temples that you have no belief in at all. What good would that do? It would just waste your time and energy and theirs. Seriously, i don't know why you are so worried about it, chances are, that if you have no friends or ancestors in The Church, that it may never happen, it's not like they go looking up obituaries to baptise.

Ok here I am again - knowing only what my friends have told me so i'm sure it's not the whole story...anyway the undergarments are like a t-shirt and shorts that cover all the areas you aren't supposed to show to the world. it keeps you in tune with being modest. Your clothes are supposed cover all the areas your garments cover.

I also don't think boys/men wear garments, only the woman.

My mormon friend wanted to wear shorts to her family reunion and she got so much flak from her family she didn't do it.

And just for the record - i am a recovering catholic - I absolutely shun any and all organized religions - the group think thing frightens me! I appreciate the mormons here passing along correct information but no matter what it is, I'm sure I'll think it bizarre.

Sorry you have such a warped knowledge of the religion. And I mean terrible warped.

I know that "officially", mormons are not supposed to practice polygamy, but the fact is, many of them do, especially fundamentalist groups within Mormonism. Within polygamy is the practice of CHILD RAPE. That is why Warren Jeffs (ever heard of him?) was arrested after being one of the FBI's 10 most wanted.

He's the president of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. He is a Mormon. Many sects of Mormons practice polygamy under a "don't ask don't tell policy". They force young girls into marriages with much older men. This is child rape.

So if you want, I don't have a problem saying "Fundamentalist Mormons who still practice polygamy and child rape" instead of just saying "Mormons" when I refer to the group as a whole. Would that be preferable?

And the reason why I am so impassioned about it is because I, along with millions of other people, are very disturbed at the proliferation of all the right-wing Christian groups who are determined to take over the United States and turn our country into a theocracy.

Nobody REQUIRES you to do geneology work if you are mormon. how funny! however it is encouraged, and how interesting to learn about your history and where your family comes from and such, what a neat thing regaurdless of whether you are mormon or not. Doing our heirs temple work is more of an honor and a gift to that person, and doesnt change anything about who that person was while they were here on earth. That person still has the free agency to accept or deny the gospel in heaven. The mormon church doesnt force you to do anything.

quote=Lap_dancer;459549]I can't speak for a Mormon person not being one. I can tell you the foundation for their church is not what I would call my cup of tea.

I know the person they believe to be a prophet was Joseph Smith and he was the foundation for the religion. He was something like 14 years old at the time. He "found" gold tablets in the woods.

I can't get mad at people who believe in a religion. I can get upset at someone for altering historical documents to suit their need. I do know the Mormons have a HUGE archive of geneology and they require when you convert that you begin your family geneology at some point. Documenting history is wonderful but I wonder WHO is allowing someone to alter their heir's religion???? Just because THEY change it doesn't make it so.

Sorry you have such a warped knowledge of the religion. And I mean terrible warped.

I know that "officially", mormons are not supposed to practice polygamy, but the fact is, many of them do, especially fundamentalist groups within Mormonism. Within polygamy is the practice of CHILD RAPE. That is why Warren Jeffs (ever heard of him?) was arrested after being one of the FBI's 10 most wanted.

He's the president of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. He is a Mormon. Many sects of Mormons practice polygamy under a "don't ask don't tell policy". They force young girls into marriages with much older men. This is child rape.

So if you want, I don't have a problem saying "Fundamentalist Mormons who still practice polygamy and child rape" instead of just saying "Mormons" when I refer to the group as a whole. Would that be preferable?

And the reason why I am so impassioned about it is because I, along with millions of other people, are very disturbed at the proliferation of all the right-wing Christian groups who are determined to take over the United States and turn our country into a theocracy.

yeah i would prefer you refer to them as that. they are not members of the Real church, they call themselves Mormons so they can have the religious "right" to practice poliga eymy don't group them into the main sect of mormons, because are not part of that. they even have their own temples from what i understand and prophets, ie. Warren Jeffs. he is a disgusting man, evil and not of God or the LDS community. So i am compltetely offended to be grouped in with that nasty man.

That's your oppinion about the Christian groups, not ours. So to each his own, it's your right i guess.