Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Think People Treat You Differently Since You've Lost Weight?

I ask this question because a co-worker commented on how great I look. My response was thanks, I feel great and feel like people take me more seriously now. She looked at me kind of strange and I said yeah people just treat you differently once you lose weight, it seems that they take you more seriously, she said really I don't think so I think people still look at you as the same person . I have to disagree.

I've noticed a hugh difference in the way people treat me now that I've lost weight, not necissarily people that know me but more so from complete strangers. The people who know me have complimented me along my journey and have been kind enough to recognize the changes but when it comes to complete strangers, they just treat you like a totally different person. When I was heavy people didn't see me (not sure how they could miss me) but it was like I was always overlooked, now people are holding doors open, smiling warmly and speaking to me as they walk by. It feels strange almost like I'm in a different world. Isn't it sad the way people judge based upon apperances? I mean I'm the same person I've always been, there's just less of me, but if those same strangers would have said Hi, or opened the door for me, or started a random conversation, my responses would have been the same then as they are now.

What has your experience been with how people treat you since you lost or are losing weight.

Edited by enjoythetime

Perfect strangers treat me totally different now. They open doors, smile and treat me like a totally different person. Like you said--I'm still the same person but it is amazing how much more cordial strangers are to a person closer to a "normal" weight.

Like you also said--I was somewhat invisible--How the heck a six foot tall woman over 300 pounds is invisible is beyond me!

People who knew me at 300 + pounds do constantly say how wonderful I look and I can't help but think maybe my attitude is more positive now---possibly eliciting more positive responses from total strangers?

Blessings,

Kathleen

I have noticed this. I am down almost 50 pounds, and people are holding the doors open more and smiling. I guess it is not something one would know unless they have seen the changes themselves.

I personally also have had friends treat me differently. They were happy with me being bigger then them, but now that I am losing weight they do not talk to me as much as they use to or hang out. I am ok with this because I am finding out who my true friends are.

@@chrissy10 you're absolutely right. I have-had "friends" that treat me differently now too and I'm ok with that I don't want or need people like that in my life any way, they will only bring you down. I've also seen the other side of this coin which I forgot about. My husband took me to a small get together at a co-workers propbaly 4 couples and the rest singles. When I was over weight generally the women would be really nice to me and start a conversation, this time not so much I tried to join in a couple of times and litterally I never felt more out of place they all just stopped talking and looked at me. When we were leaving I was still trying to be on my best behavior so I said bye it was nice to meet everyone and litterally only 2 of the 6 responded and they were ALL looking right at me. I just laughed and went on. We're talking about "grown" women. Women I have never met before in my life. would NEVER treat someone like this, but oh well I made sure I struted my new smaller ass right past them....haha:-)

Edited by enjoythetime

On on the other hand, they sure treat heavy folks differently at times. :(

Yes , I get treated differently and better since my weight loss, but I have to also hand it to human nature. I mean, if you had to look at the choices you have made in a house, favorite outfit, dog etc, and they were all the same price, did'nt you choose t he attractive one over the not as attractive one ?? Cute puppy over not so cute puppy ? You get the picture. Same with weight loss, we just take it more personaly. Just my opinion.

The men flirt more, strangers seem kinder, the friends struggling with their weight all hate me (and don't know the truth), the jocks seem a tiny bit impressed that this chubby girl can run 4 mile races (but I still come in pretty close to last LOL). I wonder if it's all because they think I finally got some self control? Not sure?

My husband treats me differently even. My daughter is proud of me. I am proud of me too. These are the only 3 opinions that matter.

I am definitely treated different especially by men, I now get asked if I need help with my grocery's. I was never asked that when I was heavy packing to babies with me. I find Guys hold doors, talk to me all the time and even had one in front of me at a drive through pay for my meal. He got away cheap I had a taco and a Water. lol Too bad there is such discrimination. I find sometimes saying to my self, would this guy be talking to me if I was heavy. No! is always my answer.

I hate how those out there in the world think that just because we are big girls that we are automatically stronger than other's in shape. I get this all the time. When I go to Costcoe and buy big items that are too heavy for me to lift I get the sarcastic attitudes that say, " You are a big girl so of course you can maneuver this 60 pound bad of dog food all by yourself. I have never understood why folks think we big woman are also very strong woman because of our size!! To hell with those people. It is hard moving around this store hauling really heavy items. The attitude we are treated with is, "She is a big girl so she can lift that 85 pound bag of dog food all by herself" Fat doesn't mean strong. We walk around all day with various amounts of weight on us. Walking is harder, Carrying heavy items is harder. So to hell with others preconceived ideas that we big girls are also strong as an ox. I find the opposite true. Sure I am staring to exercise by walking but I need to do weight lifting at the gym. We overweight people have more difficulty moving around and carrying heavy items. But the population doesn't see it that way!!! Fat people are often treated as invisible. Like we don't exist. But all that will change as our program goes along and the weight starts coming off. People are going to treat us differently once we are thin. That will be a real good NSV. Being noticed and having doors opened for you will be more NSV's. This is a life changing endeavor. I am going to make it. How about you others out there? What do you think?

No, not really. But I think I treat myself differently ... And I am much more confident and sociable, so I do notice more positive interactions in that way!

I have stopped loosing for almost 3 years now, and I can tell you it is an entirely different social structure now in more ways I can even mention....

Plus, I feel one gets back what one gives...so being slim, fit and healthy boosts ones own self confidence, self image, and overall vigor....making me more open, forward and friendly to strangers or people I first meet....I'll strike up conversations with just about anyone, anywhere, and any age.....

So it works both ways. I'm 62 years old and I am enjoying life now more that I have in I don't know how long.

Wish I had done this a long time ago....

People who knew me before when I was fat, have long forgotten and don't talk about it anymore...it is old news and I am accepted the way I am now naturally....and people I newly meet do not know I was ever obese....

This surgery had done so much in so many different ways...it's incredible!

Edited by B-52

I agree! People treated me like I was invisible when I was overweight. I moved away from the place I had my surgery at, since living in my current town, people don't know me as "the fat girl". here the doors are opened for me, people look me in the face when they talk to me, my co workers treat me with respect, even cashiers are friendlier regardless of what I'm buying. When I bought junk food when I was fat, I got "that look" now when I buy it they just go about their business like it's no big deal. It's amazing the way people treat you as an overweight individual vs. a thin one. It sickens me, I am the same person heavy or thin.

I haven't really noticed a difference in how people treat me. The only big change is me more so being less quiet than I used to around others, I have more confidence with myself.

I don't really mention my weight loss to them, they don't really grill/talk to me about it. Although there has been a few times where they have noticed a significant loss before I have and congratulated me on it.

I do get asked for recipes a ton as they all know I love cooking and know I make everything I eat, myself.

I have so much more self confidence now. I'm no longer the largerest person in the room. I feel so much better about my self and the people that know me cans see that. I have a very good support group with my friends and family.

I've been going to my favorite watering hole with one of my besties. I know most everybody in the place. People would talk to me be nice and all that other good stuff. Now that they have seen how much weight I have lost I get so many positive reactions. Makes me feel really good. I have gentlemen come up to me and tell me I am beautiful, buying me drinks. ( I am happily married and tell them this) but I get that's okay. I just like buying a pretty gal a drink. A year ago that didn't happen.

I feel beautiful and everyone can see that and it carries over in the attitudes of others.