Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4'11 180 lbs... Insurance/self pay combo ?

I have been in process for 5 of 6 months to get in 6 month nutrition consult requirement. My BC PPO has paid for all tests minus deductibles other than the psych eval.

Despite the severe obesity, I lack diabetes and sleep apnea, and I guess I should be thankful, but, risk insurance denial for gastric sleeve. Has anyone paid for surgery only after a denial? My paperwork will be submitted in August. I have some comorbidities but am not on meds. I will be 53 and would like to live a few decades not sad, hurting with joint pain, and ashamed of my appearance. If I could pay "balance" it seems worth it. If insurance denies, does this mean surgeon must deny?

I knew my insurance would not cover. So my doctors had my insurance cover an EDG and the hiatal hernia repair. Then the wl surgeon comes in after the repair and does the sleeve. For me it was $8200. I was overnight in the hospital and everyone was so amazing and I got a necessary medical fix to help my sleeve perform optimally.

I also had multiple ulcers on my stomach and the sleeve removed most of those!!!

They said that the docs and hospital write off all of the remaining amounts and my cash price was all I paid.

This is the way I decided to go. I'm in dallas Texas.

I'm from Canada and there is mo way I will have insurance cover anything. I'm going toTJ Mexico for a sleeve Sept 4th. I have carried this weight give or take for 35 years. As I get older it's harder to lose and harder to live with the extra 50-60 lbs.

so, as of Sept 4th I will be sleeved and hopefully on a losing streak for good! My surgery is $4400.00 plus flights. I'm using travel points so in the end with my husband traveling with me should be around $5000.00.

Not bad since I've paid that plus more in weight loss programs over the past 20 years.

I wish I had the courage, and the support of my husband, to go to Mexico! It sure is amazing at the difference in cost. I wish you safe journey in travel and weight loss!

My insurance did not cover the surgery so I was a self pay. Although it sucked to have to pay for it, I feel like I have a more vested interest in my health because of it. Insurance dud pay for most of the pre-op tests and they paid for the hernia repair. I think I ended I ended up paying about 11,000 out of pocket.

I am going to be a self pay also. The dr diagnosed me with Gerd so my insurance would cover the EGD. Since he found a hiatal hernia my out of pocket portion is only $10,000 because the hospital will be billing for the hernia repair.

The surgeon denying is totally different than insurance denying. The surgeons will probably only deny if you don't get the necessary pre-op testing or if you have some sort of condition that would make surgery dangerous.

I was a self pay and had no issues with the surgeon accepting me for surgery. And my insurance did pay some on the pre-op tests and paid for the EGD/hiatal hernia surgery. I paid $8200 for mine in Texas and insurance paid the hospital and doctors a whopping $16,435 (out of a billed $30,874).

There are many doctors who offer a 'package deal.' The surgery and all associated hospital costs are a flat fee. Some even include the pre-op tests. I know there are some pretty cheap ones in Florida, Louisiana and Texas. Most seem to be right around 10k.

Melodica

Where did you have surgery. I went through dr stowers at mybariatricsolutions.com

The price sounds the same.

My experience was wonderful. I'm in Dallas so they were relatively close.

That's who I used as well. I had to travel from Alabama. I definitely wouldn't recommend such a long car ride the day after surgery! I am pleased with the results though.

Edited by Melodica

I went to the company true results and because I had a hiatal hernia my insurance paid for the hernia operation part and I'm paying about $6800 for the rest of it. I make my monthly payments of $150 a month and I'll be doing that until the 6000 whatever is paid off. I see it as an investment in my future I'm already saving about $75 a month in medicine that I no longer have to take not to mention the wear and tear on my body being 50 pounds lighter.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches