Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@Mrs.RRnYeah I can understand being more comfortable at home, I guess I'm just worried about a complication arising and not being around any medical staff. Plus my surgeon's office/surgical center is 45min to an hour away.

I also have to disclose that my surgeon makes "house calls" and visits you the night of and day after surgery. So, not the same situation.

Also, my mother and I are both registered nurses. I figured we had this handled. Lol

@@Mrs.RRn

Lucky you!

I'm not sure yet if I'll have to drive back down to my surgeons office the next day or not to be checked out. I do know that they do the "Leak Test" while you're still under, pretty much right after they are done removing the stomach and stitching it up.

I had my surgery on an outpatient basis - in admitting at 6:00 am and in the car at 12:30 heading home. I think this is becoming more popular.

My local doctor was horrified when I told her (I was self pay, so went to a surgeon in another state, then follow ups with local doc who also performs surgery). She keeps her patients in the hospital for 3 days.

I'm not saying I wasn't nervous about the outpatient thing, I was. We scoped out which hospital is closest (5 minutes) and had the doc's personal cell number on hand, just in case of complications.

I can't even imagine controlling my amt of pain at home. I was on IV Dialudid for 48 hrs and that was a requirement! It took my dr an extra 30 mins (unforseen) to dig my lapband out of my stomach so I was more sore than usual. I had a rougher than normal recovery and was happy to stay for the 2 days.

Good luck with ur surgery. Most people have no problems afterwards so I think it's pretty safe to do it OP.

@@getnhealthyintx

Why did you have to stay a night?

Due to complication?..Or just because.

My insurance said out patient too but what I was told by insurance company is if need to stay they cover that. So call insurance co. They will tell you. I was over night and left next day at noon. There was no way I could have gone home same day. I could not pee till next morning because of the anastysia (I think that is how you spell) . And the pain. My blood pressure was real high from the pain too. So they keep you till all is good. Check with insurance.

I'll definitely call and ask..

I had my surgery on an outpatient basis - in admitting at 6:00 am and in the car at 12:30 heading home. I think this is becoming more popular.

I'm not saying I wasn't nervous about the outpatient thing, I was. We scoped out which hospital is closest (5 minutes) and had the doc's personal cell number on hand, just in case of complications.

Same here, McB! Outpatient. Same time in; same time out the door. (Dec. 4th).

If the patient is otherwise "low risk," more docs are doing WLS on an outpatient basis. Not fully accepted by all yet, though.

PS: At first I thought this thread was about the "In and Out" burgers I've heard about in California. LOL!

Edited by Dr-Patient

@Dr-Patient I had to get everyone's attention some how LOL :lol:

I feel a little more comfortable now knowing what to expect, Thanks All!

@@HalloweenBaby24,

I could have stayed a little longer, but I was totally ready by noon. I had to pee before they would let me go. I was walking the halls because they took my bed and gave me a chair - the chair was uncomfortable and it felt good to walk.

They won't let you go if you're not doing well...

You're going to do great!

@McButterpants

Thanks for the input!, I surely hope so *Fingers Crossed*

My stay was three days. We weren't even allowed Water until the leak check 24 hours after surgery, and then another day to make sure you could actually drink and get liquids in.

I've seen a lot of people mention different lengths of stay depending on the surgeon. I know I wouldn't have been able to move to get home the day of surgery because of nausea (plus the pain meds had me sleeping pretty much whenever a nurse wasn't prodding me that first day)

I stayed over night and I am glad I did. It took them 3 hours to get my pain under control. Would I have slept better at? Yes, but I like the fact that I had medical staff here if I needed. Plus, I have ally been able to get about 8 oz of Water in me. They have me on a saline drip, 3rd bottle since surgery. I would check with your insurance company and see if they can authorize over night. Good luck and keep me posted.

I think it depends on your insurance, and the location you choose. If the surgery is done in the hospital, they will want to keep you overnight (They get more money). Mine was same day and the only regret is that i went home and slept, shouldve done more walking the first day to alleviate the GAS. But as long as someone is with you, you will be fine. They send you home with Pain meds and anti-nausea medicine so its a smooth discharge.

@@crysco

Thanks for elevating my fears!

It's good to have someone going through the same thing, and with the same surgeon!

Edited by HalloweenBaby24

I had my surgery in a HMO hospital.Usual policy is overnight stay for monitoring. I stayed an extra night because I didnt feel like I eas up to going home and be unmedically supervised. I was on iv all my stay too because I wasn't drinking enough water.plus I felt like I was in pain,and wanted to make sure my post op was going on track.Everybody's bodies heal at different rates.im.just glad my surgeon had no problem.with my request to stau.