Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Super confused! Help! Hubby threw me a loop!

I have been contemplating surgery for a long time. I started with wanting the band but after speaking to the first dr I went to, he mentioned the sleeve. I did a bunch of research and followed boards and switch to getting the sleeve. I have just completed my upper endo, blood work, etc... surgery is scheduled July 15th. However, my husband has asked that I reconsider the band because he does not like the idea of 2/3rds of my stomach being cut out. I am 263#'s. Just looking for some good bad and ugly with the band, I was leaning toward sleeve because it seemed more of a "one stop shop" and not having to deal with fills, ports, etc... but I want to be honoring of him and make sure I do my due dilligence and if people are getting long term results with little complication with the device, I want to make sure I am doing the minimal with the maximum results.

Thanks! I hope I explained my situation well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Why did you choose band over sleeve? Do you love your band?

While you should take your husband's concerns into consideration, you need to do what is best for you. Most folks decide between the two surgeries based on the invasiveness. If it's not a concern for you, the sleeve may be the way to go. If you are uncomfortable with losing most of your stomach, the band might be better.

I did not want my stomach surgically altered so I went with the band. I'm 18 months post op and have lost more than 130 lbs. For me, this WLS has been a great success....no issues whatsoever. Just be aware that I have followed my doctor's protocol and have not 'tested' the band by eating around it or anything else that could be considered detremental. I think that's the key with any WLS. Follow the rules and you will likely be successful.

Good luck and wishing you a successful weight loss journey as well.

I only went with the band bc I was cash pay and it was cheaper. I really, really wanted the sleeve & wish I could have gotten it. I'm 17 days post op & have been miserable every day. I can barely sip Water bc I feel so restricted, but everyone is different. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I love my band. I never even looked at anything else because I did'nt want my insides taken out. No way , no how ! Plus, the band is reversible if needed. The others ? Not ! My surgery and recovery were easy . I was back to work 7 days after surgery with NO problems, and I started dropping weight right away. I just followed my Dr.s rules 95 % of the time, " Protein 1st, fruits and veggies 2nd with carbs last. Limits your sweets, no fast food, lots of Water, exercise at least 3 times a week. Thats it ! , and you'll lose the weight !" Well, it worked ! And it was' nt horribly hard ! Im VERY happy with my band ! It gave me my life back ! Good luck !

I love my band, too, but each of us has to figure out what's best. Like many, I chose my surgery because it's not permanent and if ever needed I could have the band removed. Now that I have it, I'd do anything to keep it -- but if it ever came down to it and I couldn't have a band anymore then I would move on to something more drastic. That's just me. I feel less nervous about the sleeve, etc. from being on this forum. And I am interested in Plication, that's something I would research if I were starting out now.

Decisions, decisions. I too chose the band because it's reversible and I didn't want my insides cut on. At the time of my surgery I only knew of the band and gastric bypass. The sleeve is an option I recently learned of. Had I known about it three years ago, I still would have chosen the band. I love the decision that I made for me and ultimately, you're going to have to do the same. Good luck.

Hello! Sleeved on 6/17. I was going to do band because I have a lower bmi and I thought it was my only option. However when I started doing research, there was one main issue for me.

The band does have to be adjusted periodically and I read about adjustments that do nit allow anything to be held down for periods at a time.

I take 3 daily medications for major depressive disorder resulting from my son's murder three years ago. My psychiatrist suggested the sleeve because it does not change the size of the opening and she wanted to make sure I do not miss multiple doses of my medications.

So I chose sleeve and on day two I started taking my pills with no issues. I can swallow without sipping all day and I am following Drs orders with diet and Vitamins.

I also had a hiatal hernia repairer and the scope showed ulcers on my stomach so the sleeve removed many of those.

All I'm really worried about is the hair loss but I know I will try my hardest to continue the required Protein intake and I take Biotin too.

The choice is definitely personal. Much success to whichever way you go.

20 pounds down from pre op diet to today. Yeah.

Zanes mom, if anyone ever deserved hugs, it's you. Im sorry for the loss of your son, I hope everything you're doing starts getting you on the path to heal and be healthy . Sending you BIG hugs !!!!

Pink dahlia, thank you. It's been the hardest 3 years of my life. He was "my" only son. We have adopted 4 kids in the last 5 years. So I had to do something to get healthy for them. At home I have 15, 6, 6 and 5.

That is what finally drove me to make a life decision.

Everyone's journey is personal and sometimes painful, but I'm glad I finally decided to live again.

@@Zane's Mom I am so sorry for your loss....sending best wishes for this new chapter in your life....choosing your healthy future is such a powerful thing. Four kids in five years, wow! I am an adoptee and we chose to adopt as well. You have a very special kind of family!

I went with the band for the very same concern your husband had--I didn't want to do something that I could not reverse.

I was advised by a weight management clinic that they prefer to do the sleeve-no maintenance, and you will lose the weight faster. This is the number one draw for an insurance company-they want the biggest bang for their buck they spend on you to get you healthy.

things to consider:

1. Are you getting your surgery locally?

2. if you have the band-are adjustments done in the city you live in, or are you going to have to travel

3. Mexico? with the band do you have to pay for fills when you come home

Remember, the after care with WLS is MORE important than the surgery. Without support, education, and medical advise you may struggle to achieve your goals.

best of luck in your journey :)

I originally wanted the band, went for my first appointment and came out with a surgery date, loads of appointments AND scheduled for a sleeve...

Thank the good Lord above I came to my senses and about three weeks before surgery I changed my mind BACK to lapband. I didn't want to part with my pretty lil stomach, I liked the fact that I can control how fast I lose with the band because I did not/ DO NOT want to lose super fast like you do with the sleeve.

In all reality, now, eleven months later I probably would have lost all my excess weight (and then some) with the sleeve,but I happy where I am and how I got here.

Zane's mom, Wow. Amazing coincidence. I have 1 birth child and adopted a sibling group of 3 years ago. The youngest of all my kids is 20, and just moved out very recently. For the 1st time in 20 some years we have no kids at home. Strange, but I like it. It's been a long , hard journey raising some of them. It's nice to finally be able to focus on " us " . I hope things are going well for you, sending you big hugs !

I have been contemplating surgery for a long time. I started with wanting the band but after speaking to the first dr I went to, he mentioned the sleeve. I did a bunch of research and followed boards and switch to getting the sleeve. I have just completed my upper endo, blood work, etc... surgery is scheduled July 15th. However, my husband has asked that I reconsider the band because he does not like the idea of 2/3rds of my stomach being cut out. I am 263#'s. Just looking for some good bad and ugly with the band, I was leaning toward sleeve because it seemed more of a "one stop shop" and not having to deal with fills, ports, etc... but I want to be honoring of him and make sure I do my due dilligence and if people are getting long term results with little complication with the device, I want to make sure I am doing the minimal with the maximum results.

Thanks! I hope I explained my situation well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Why did you choose band over sleeve? Do you love your band?

Hi and welcome. :D

WLS, whichever procedure you ultimately decide on is a huge step and not one to take lightly. Band, sleeve, bypass, switch... There are so many factors that go in to making the right decision for each individual and we all must, MUST shut out the external voices that try to sway us one way or the other and focus solely on what WE want. What is right four our own body, the way we eat, our lifestyle, personality, how we feel about aftercare commitment and what we can live with regarding having something implanted in us or losing a piece of ourselves. These are all huge considerations and once done are permanent.

Personally, I chose the band because I loved the idea of a tool that can help me, a volume eater with Portion Control, bite size and bite spacing. Those are my biggies. The band is very good for people like me. :) I also love the band because I didn't have to lose part of my stomach, and I am a MAJOR control freak and I love knowing that I can control my tool, adjust it to my exacting specifications and make it work perfectly for me, and me alone. I also don't mind the whole aftercare process. I don't find it a burden and my insurance covers the cost so it all works for me. But again, that was my personal process and I would not expect anyone else's to be exactly the same. And yes, I love my band. :D

Before you commit to having your surgery think long and hard about what YOU want. What YOU need and what whatever surgery you do eventually have will do for YOU. This is YOUR body. It doesn't matter what some doctor thinks or wants you to have and, (I may get some pushback on this one) it doesn't matter what your husband thinks, either. He is free to express his opinion but he needs to take a step back and give you the room to make this very major and very important decision for yourself. Then he needs to step back in and, regardless of the choice you make, be fully on your side, completely supportive and ready to cheer you through, every step of the way. :)

I got the band because i was afraid to have staples inside of me. Also, i love carbs, and the band makes it very hard for me to eat bread, Pasta, and rice, which has helped me to lose 90 pounds so far. The downside to the band is all the adjustments, and i have not yet found the elusive green zone. Both surgeries have their own pros and cons, and you will likely be successful with either if you follow the rules :)