Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think your life would have been better or worse without WLS?

For anyone who has followed me knows that I've surely had many ups, downs, complications, BUT I also had the blessing of celebrating many victories along the way. I would NEVER trade any of those victories to give back any of my complications. I believe with all my heart that if I did not have WLS(s) I would be one of those folks showcased on My 600Lb Life. I would be very super obese, and living a miserable, unhappy and worse, unhealthy existence. I was already well into the 300's by the time I was in my 20's. I was headed for disaster! The most sad fact is, I probably wouldn't even be here right now typing all of this out. I might have been stroked out by now, as I was diagnosed with HBP at 31 years old, and I had an uncle who died from complications of that disease when he was only 44. I'm turned 40 in December. I would probably not even be alive... as scary a thought as that is.

I am forever thankful to myself that I loved me enough to do whatever it took to save me.

How about you? How do you think your life would have played out if you didn't have your WLS?

If I hadn't had the surgery, I would probably have gotten bigger and bigger. My pre-diabetes would probably have developed into full-blown diabetes within 3 years. My sleep apnea would have gotten worse. My liver would still be showing the elevated enzymes of fatty liver disease. My cholesterol would still be extremely high, and my blood pressure would be nearing stroke levels. I would probably need knee replacement surgery within a few years.

Now that I've lost nearly 50 pounds, my A1C levels (diabetes) are 5.2 (normal). I rarely use my CPap machine for my sleep apnea. My blood pressure, cholesterol and liver enzymes are now normal. I went to Six Flags and fit in all the rides, and my knees didn't give out from all the walking. People seem to be nicer to me for some reason....more respectful. I no longer have to struggle to paint my toenails, tie my shoes, or (TMI alert) wipe my backside.

I tried to pick up a 50 pound bag of dog food at the grocery store last week. I couldn't do it. Amazing, isn't it?

I've lost 30 since surgery May 5th and I don't remember feeling this good, this energetic and overall so happy with myself. I will be forever thankful to the friend who recommended I get my WLS and for my amazing surgeon. I am soooo looking foward to losing more till I reach my goal. I vow to stay healthy and active forever so that I feel this good for the rest of my life -- God willing!! :)

Honestly...I truly think I would have been history by now. I was getting worse and worse, and everything I tried was failing. Every time I went to the doctor, she found something new wrong with me, and everything was weight-related, including being pre-diabetic. Now that I have been losing, every single issue has either improved or gone away completely, so this decision I really think has not only been a life-changing one, but I life-saving one as well!!!

I would be dead if I did not have this surgery..And I am not kidding..Even with all the complications..I would have died without it!

Irene, I was in a battle for my life trying to stay under 300#. It was hell. I was becoming disabled and it was so sad to feel like my life was coming to an early end and I wasn't even 50!

I am not saying life post WLS is all roses, but it is so much better now. I feel so normal. What a blessing! I give thanks everyday for my health, my ability to move and enjoy life, even for my looks!

I was becoming a hermit. Seriously, my weight was a prison in so many ways. I didn't have all the typical co-morbidities just Pre-diabetes but I had zero self confidence. I hated how I looked and how I felt. The only place I would go with my family was out to eat. If my mom took my niece miniature golfing or to the pool I would stay home. I was not really living. I looked at my life as a failure thinking about the things that I would never do, the relationships I would never have. Since I have lost so many people recently, I spent a lot of time worrying that one day I too would die or be left all alone.

Since surgery I have been to the pool and miniature golf too many times to count. My self confidence is soaring. I feel so much better physically. I would never have gotten here without WLS. I have been blessed to have no complications as of yet. I still have a long way to go but I when I put on my bathing suit to go swimming I am not self conscious, to hell with what other people may think, I know how far I have come.

Oh man, I cannot Believe LilMissDiva Irene isnt 25 years old! What? I always just assumed you were unusually wise for your young age! You are still very wise and clever, I just understand now that there is more experience behind the wisdom;)

My answer: fat, unhappy, hypertensive and in pain, especially my back. I just went running this morning for the first time in 20+ years. What a bloody power trip THAT was!

I agree with everyone else that has posted on this topic. I would be a real mess as big or bigger than I was almost three years ago and certainly no where near as healthy,. Sure, I have had issues. Band slippage, vomiting blood, emergency surgery to remove the band - yep- bad news..but I have lost 120+ pounds and that is an ENTIRE PERSON. Rene's said she couldn't lift the 50 pounds she lost - try 120 pounds LOL - not happening..Since my revision surgery (4/25/14) I have had issues..healing is slow, weight gain (up 12 pounds) and in general blah..but I would have WLS all over again in a minute. It has given me a new life. I can play with my grandchildren, I am running 5K's (at 63 yrs old) and I work 50+ hours per week. No more shortness of breath, pre-diabetes, HBP..Life is so much better. I need to now get my head, my heart and my stomach all on the same page and get back to being the WL queen again and move on with my bandless life. I love the person I have become and I know that because of this surgery I have added years to my life.

Melinda in Florida

Was looking at living the rest of my life in a wheelchair. This time last year, I could barely paddle around in the pool and yesterday I swam laps for an hour. The cane I used for more than two years is now sitting in the corner of my bedroom. I keep it there to remind me never to lose sight of what I've accomplished with help from the band.

I can only imagine that eventually I would have lost a foot or gone blind from my type II Diabetes. Or that I would have had a heart attack or died some premature death because of my size. So no, zero regrets.

I needed wls because I became disabled and just kept gaining. I topped out at 290, having gained 50 lb after my disability. I started researching 2 years before surgery and since I was on Medicare disability had to meet their criteria. At the time of my surgery, only RNY or Lapband were approved and I didn't want RNY. I needed help with Portion Control and felt that Lapband or sleeve would work for me. I did well with my band...I was compliant, I dieted and tried to get some exercise daily and lost 100 lb. I was able to walk a mile (I need knee replacement due to sports and work injuries) go up and down stairs. I went from 26-28 clothes to 16 (loose). I didn't resolve my comorbidities except sleep apnea. I felt like it saved my life' until it threatened my life with complications. Unfortunately my band was misplaced by my surgeon (this occurs 3% of the time) on the esophagus, between the gastoesophageal junction and diaphragm. I was doomed from the start. Now, due to the damage to my esophagus and stomach I cannot revise and have a cardiac arrythmia from vagus nerve damage from the band. I'm still better off weight wise, but my overall health is not improved.

@@Bandarella never give up finding answers - I'm hoping the best for you.

I would more than likely still be morbidly obese probably bigger than I was before surgery which was 231 my highest weight ever was 242. I probably would have exceeded that by know and would be struggling with hbp and diabetes which I never had and thankfully never will.

Without this surgery, I would have gotten even bigger. My blood pressure would be higher and I would have probably developed diabetes. My sleep apnea would have compounded everything. I have osteoarthritis in both knees and hips, so my ability to exercise was minimal. I am also an emotional eater. I could see myself sitting my couch watching TV with a big bowl of popcorn and a magnum full of wine, eating and drinking myself to oblivion, something I did every night. I would have become an alcoholic. I was, and still am a food addict. I would have lost my relationship with my boyfriend and isolated myself even more than I already was.

Edited by Racewalker48