Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you Eat Anything You want After LAP-BAND Surgery?

Can u really eat anything you want with the LAPBAND and and control your portion size and still lose weight?

Right after surgery, you have to follow a STRICT diet, from your surgeon. It's set up that way to insure proper healing of your band, also prepping you for how to eat in the future. You can't scarf food down anymore, can't chug down pop, alcohol, or even Water anymore. Everything is much slower. Lots of chewing, lots of smaller bites, lots of sips, and certainly no alcohol and sodas. The caffeine is a no-no for the first two weeks, according to my diet plan. The first 3 days were nothing but liquid, at 2-3 oz each meal, 6 meals a day, plus 24 oz of Water. Days 4-6 were still 6 liquid meals, but every other one was a Protein drink, all still 2-3 oz each. Day 7-13 are what they call the blended stage. Portions upped to 3-4 oz, and now certain foods are added, such as yogurt, creamed Soups, cottage cheese, veggies, even chicken and turkey with brith added. Still drinking the Protein shakes, 3-4 oz in between each meal, still incorporating 24 oz of water. Mind you, this is how my des plan is, others may be different. So far, so good for me! (My diet plan goes up to 5 wks post-op. I can post more of it, if you'd like.)

My husband was banded in 2010, and he still eats like crap, but his portions are very small. The band lets you know when enough is enough. I wish he would eat better. I'm hoping my better choices will rub off on him!!!

Right after surgery, you have to follow a STRICT diet, from your surgeon. It's set up that way to insure proper healing of your band, also prepping you for how to eat in the future. You can't scarf food down anymore, can't chug down pop, alcohol, or even Water anymore. Everything is much slower. Lots of chewing, lots of smaller bites, lots of sips, and certainly no alcohol and sodas. The caffeine is a no-no for the first two weeks, according to my diet plan. The first 3 days were nothing but liquid, at 2-3 oz each meal, 6 meals a day, plus 24 oz of water. Days 4-6 were still 6 liquid meals, but every other one was a Protein Drink, all still 2-3 oz each. Day 7-13 are what they call the blended stage. Portions upped to 3-4 oz, and now certain foods are added, such as yogurt, creamed Soups, cottage cheese, veggies, even chicken and turkey with brith added. Still drinking the Protein Shakes, 3-4 oz in between each meal, still incorporating 24 oz of water. Mind you, this is how my des plan is, others may be different. So far, so good for me! (My diet plan goes up to 5 wks post-op. I can post more of it, if you'd like.) My husband was banded in 2010, and he still eats like crap, but his portions are very small. The band lets you know when enough is enough. I wish he would eat better. I'm hoping my better choices will rub off on him!!!

Look like we almost have the same post op diet..Have your husband had much success with the LB?

No, I can't eat anything. I've gained tons of weight and I eat huge meals :o :P ;) jk

Of course we can. Did you think all the success stories on this forum are fake? Sure, each of us have that food or four that we have trouble eating but for the most part, we eat healthy, nutritious and satisfying food.< /p>

My appetite is dimmed and I can make good choices -- and I had no restrictions after recovery, just to eat when I'm hungry (way less) and learn to pay attention to my band, I'm glad nothing is outlawed -- caffeine, alcohol, etc. I had years of outlawing all sorts of things to no avail. I am not on a diet. I have a band and make good choices.

In the end, to lose weight you need to consume less calories than you need. If I behave the weight practically falls off, when I give in to eat bad food I do stall out. Sometimes there's a loss on the scale and sometimes there's a gain.

You will feel better the healthier you eat. Greasy fried foods make me sick (tastes yummy but I feel terrible once they go down). If you don't eat enough Protein, you might lose a lot of your hair. Once you get in the groove, you'll learn that food really is just fuel for your body. Certain fuel makes you feel better and others may make you feel worse. Just think about your health though. The right foods will hep you stay satisfied longer too helping you to eat less. Carbs, at least for me, makes me want to eat more.

Yes..........however some people have certain foods they feel they can't eat.

Some people can't eat bread, other can eat bread but not rice. ect ect everyone is different. I personally have the most problems with thick bread and potatoes.

Mooseg...

My husband has lost about 60 lbs total, but like I said, he's not sticking with the program. He's very laxed and it pisses me off. I watched him eat 3 slices of pizza the other day, and I just wanted to slap him! He rarely drinks any Protein shakes, rarely drinks Water, and NEVER exercises, EVER. Ugh! He's hard-headed. He told me the other day that he thinks he's gaining weight again. Ummm... Well, ya think??? I have no doubt he's put back some weight. He did so well in the very beginning, but he's never been one to follow the rules, sadly.

I am just over 2 weeks post-op, and there has been no loss since week 1. I'm following the diet plan to a T, and walking 2-5 miles per day. No fill yet (not til early August) so I'm frustrated......

I am just over 2 weeks post-op, and there has been no loss since week 1. I'm following the diet plan to a T, and walking 2-5 miles per day. No fill yet (not til early August) so I'm frustrated......

Don't get frustrated. I had so much gas the first 3 weeks and it did not want to come out. My stomach was swollen, I had my surgery June 6 and I've lost about 25 lbs. be patient..we didn't gain it over night. Lol

The weight I've lost post-op, doesn't even make a difference in my clothing. Still in the same size. I thought I'd have lost more than just 11 lbs by now. It doesn't make sense to me that my diet is about 500-600 calories per day, and there's no weight loss. Plus all the walking I do. I know I'm being impatient, but I guess I just expected more to be gone already.

:(

Your calories sound low...if they are too low your metabolism will slow down thinking you are starving...it will hold on to fat, Water, etc. I bet once you start getting more down, you will shed pounds :-). I didn't get a lot down at first either.

You got this don't worry! Try to stay away from carbs. I was basically carbless the first 4 months after surgery and lost about 40lbs. Keep walking it will pay off I really only ever walked and still do. Don't be so hard on yourself you have no fill yet! =) GL!

Junebug36 and Lady Lap Band...

Thank you for the encouragement! I don't know if 500-600 calories per day is low, as I'm following the diet book from my surgeon. It doesn't mention a caloric intake at all anywhere that I can see. Once I get to day 28, I'll be able to eat slightly larger portions, which will obviously up my calories. I just worry because pre-op, I tried to watch my cals and I still couldn't lose, hence the surgery. I just worry that my body is doing the same thing. Upping calories worries me. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna eat, and I'm not gonna overdo it by any means, nor will I starve myself. My thoughts are, if I'm eating this small amount now and not losing, eating more doesn't sound like I'd lose then, either. I know our bodies work crazy ways, tho! I just need to be patient and not worry.

:)

I totally get this frustration, men lose so much easier then women. My husband is a big guy and last year he wasn't feeling well (ended up being a bad gallbladder he later had removed) and he cut back his calorie intake and lost almost 100lbs in 6 months. I was like "that took me 3yrs!!!" haha