Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So......I'm about to start my 6 month program required by insurance (BCBS NC). I've been reading through various posts on this website for about a week and the one thing I noticed it lacks is a place for people like me that are just starting. I saw groups for people getting sleeved at the end of this year but nobody is posting there (maybe you don't know it exists?). I've read about do's and don'ts, insurance policies, diets, before and after pics, etc.. It's so much wonderful information to inspire others. I am psyched about the whole process. I know it's going to be a loooooong, hard road, but I'm ready for the challenge. For the first time in the 6 years I've been with my husband (married 8 months ago), I finally broke down and told him how much I weigh. It was possibly the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Of course he knew I was overweight, but with my form I don't always look like I weigh as much as I do. He is being so supportive of my goals. Not that he wants to change me, he just wants me to be happy.

I'm hoping those of you that are just starting this process will join me here. I'd like to learn how you feel going to the gym (I'm trying to go, it's so intimidating). Are you making gradual changes to your diet or are you going "cold turkey"? For those of you already sleeved, your stories are a big inspiration. I want to be one of you ASAP!!

Thank you for creating this community where I can feel like I'm not alone in this. Everytime I start to doubt whether or not this is the right way to go, I simply get on here and start reading posts.

I'm looking forward to this journey and challenging myself to get there.

Congratulations on taking the first step! I also have BCBS and had to do the 6 month pre-op program. I hated it at the time, but thank goodness for it! In those, what turned out to be, 9 months I learned SO much and I feel like I was as prepared as I possibly could be. I'm sure you will find some on here who are at a similar starting point as you. I think there are also boards broken down by surgery month.

One thing I might also suggest is to start a blog or something similar to mark your journey. I started a blog right before my very first doctor's visit in January of 2013. It's linked in my signature - you are welcomed to check it out. I am SO glad I did. I still post in it now a couple of times a week. It has been an awesome way to keep track of my journey and go back and remind myself of the things I've learned and AM LEARNING NOW along the way! So I guess my point is to use the time that you are required to take anyway and try to make it as productive as possible :-)

I'm doing my happy dance :)!!!!!

Just got off the phone with the hospital. My first official class is Monday, June 16 and my first appt. with the surgeon is July 17. It feels so wonderful to have the process started!!! Can't wait for the rest!

One thing I might also suggest is to start a blog or something similar to mark your journey. I started a blog right before my very first doctor's visit in January of 2013. It's linked in my signature - you are welcomed to check it out. I am SO glad I did.

I will definitely look into this. After just one phone call with the hospital I am so excited I can't sit still. I want to tell everyone that knows what I'm planning. A blog might be a good way to work out that excitemen without bugging friends and family :)

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and am also just starting my 6 month program. My surgeon warned me that my insurance has a lot of hoops to jump through, and he was definitely right! So far, I've had my initial consult with the surgeon, done lab work, and met with a second physician to begin the supervised weight loss program. In all of that mix I've had to switch surgeons due to insurance coverage, but that wasn't enough to hold me back!

I've been making gradual diet and lifestyle changes. I've started by recording a food journal and slowing down when I eat. I've also been eating smaller portions and stopping myself when I feel full. My doctor recommended I start drink more Water to get myself into the habit, so I've started that too. I haven't joined a gym just yet but I have been power walking every other day. I have a pretty physical job also (I'm a therapist) so I've been working out alongside my patients.

It's nice to talk to someone at the same stage as me! It's pretty overwhelming right now but I'm determined to make this happen.

Hi I'm in the same boat. Just started my journey too. I'm not required by my insurance to do the 6 mo diet but I have to lose 10% of my body weight which is 23lbs! So it will still be awhile. I'm mKing gradual changes, eliminating white bread, refined sugars,cokes, drinking Water which I never do and started going back to the gym! It's only been 3 days and I'm really wondering if I can do it! Trying to be strong but it's hard!

I've been going to a gym since 2011. (Off and on, obvs, but now on). I still get intimidated going in there and seeing the dudebros with the muscles at the free weights and the super fit girls in the fancy work out wear. But the key is to realize that everyone there is in their own zone and will totally ignore you. No one is judging you for being the fattie on the treadmill. If anything, they are proud of you for taking the first step. You'll also notice that as you go there, not everyone is super fit. We just have the perception that we are the fattest fat person there and everyone is looking at you. There are a lot of older people, bigger people, pregnant people. People just trying to better themselves. You'll start to see regulars if you go at the same time or take a certain class. Strike up a conversation! Maybe that person was in the same boat.

Also, I had to do a six month program as well. Honestly, use it to educate yourself, get used to making smaller changes so things are not so jarring post surgery. Start going to the gym now. Cut out pop. Start learning how to cook using healthier ingredients. Don't look at that six months as an obstacle.

I think you gals are gonna make this 6 months a breeze!!!!

Ok, so what kind of small changes is everyone making so far? I did get myself into the gym. I plan on going today after work as a matter of fact. Just cardio for now, but it's something. I've also been walking a lot at work. I normally do anyway but instead of walking point A to B, I keep going and lap around C & D as well.

I'm using myfitnesspal.com to keep track of a 1400 calorie diet. No, I am not sticking to it completely. I'm not being harsh on myself and starving myself. I'm using it as a tool to make sure I eat a balance throughout the day. And if it means I go over cals a little to have a healthy Breakfast, lunch, and dinner AND not starve throughout the day, that's ok. I know the more I do it, the less hungry I'll be and especially after the surgery. So I'm not gonna torture myself in the meantime. I'm not focusing on losing weight pre-op. Just on not gaining weight, and learning how to eat healthy.

So what changes have you gals made so far?

Oh, I also bought a pedometer that syncs with mapmywalk which also syncs with myfitnesspal so I can keep track of everything.

I go to my first seminar on July 15th then I will get a call to meet with my surgeon. Can't wait to get started. Been thinking about the sleeve for over now. Finally had enough. I'm scared but excited.

**over a year.

@@pacheka

I've cut out sodas too. I keep some crystal light on hand just in case I need something besides Water. Have you tried the Isopure zero carb protien drinks? They have 40 g of protien in each bottle and only like 160 calories.

I'm on myfitnesspal if any of you want to link up. I could use someone to help with accountability :)

beachgurl84@gmail.com

I too have to do a 6 months physician supervised diet. My bmi is 44. I have already met with the surgeon and first dr appt. I have had my lab work and am scheduled for scope and gall bladder ultra next wk.. I also have has my physc evaluation. I am so readt for this journey to a new me and a new life. I agreed its going to be a long hard road but we can do this. Im almost a month into it and it seems like a year. I started making a skinny bucket list for things that i want to do when Im fit and fell good about myself to do them. Good Luck!!!!

I too have to do a 6 months physician supervised diet. My bmi is 44. I have already met with the surgeon and first dr appt. I have had my lab work and am scheduled for scope and gall bladder ultra next wk.. I also have has my physc evaluation. I am so readt for this journey to a new me and a new life. I agreed its going to be a long hard road but we can do this. Im almost a month into it and it seems like a year. I started making a skinny bucket list for things that i want to do when Im fit and fell good about myself to do them. Good Luck!!!!

I made myself a bucket list too! I know it will be useful when I'm having a rough day.

I've cut out sodas (well technically, I never drink them so I guess it doesn't count haha) but I'm dreading having to give up my coffee. I've been using Lose It to log my daily intake which has made me realize that I eat mostly carbs. I'm trying from now to eat more Protein and have been doing well with drinking enough Water. I'll admit, yesterday was a rough day where I was weak and overdid it at dinner. I felt guilty but had to tell myself that one bad day isn't going to stop me.

This month is my 2nd weightloss visit. I am trying not to think about how long, its going to take to complete the visits and get the final approval. All I can think about it getting it done and loosing the weight. I know it will go by fast buy I just hope the approval process is not to long since that will be close to the holidays when I am complete.