Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to go to the gym

@@Tinaree You know at first I was thinking OMG am I really going to go back to the gym? I wrote on another thread about my experience at the gym before even thinking about WLS. I had a personal trainer who was one of those very fit and muscled guys. I was at about my highest weight ever, but I sucked it up because I wanted to be healthy and fit and I made the appointment had my fitness tested adn signed up for training. Unfortunately I had other larger issues then my weight at the time and ended up needed surgery and I stopped going to the gym for a long while.

Now after my surgery adn losing a bit of weight but still overweight, I am back at the gym and in the pool doing aqua fit classes. I walk in and through and out of the locker rooms and sauna in my one piece (no skirt) bathing suit and I feel GREAT about it! when I miss a class I am upset with myself because I love going so much.

At first I thought I can't change in front of these Barbie dolls...they are all going to eye ball me walking through to the locker rooms all those muscled toned people and you know what I found..they all are so passionate about fitness they all want to help me get fit and healthy even more!

They are my champions and I feel good about showing up every time I walk through the doors. I go to LA Fitness so it's not a small gym, and I use several over the area not just one gym and those "regulars" now know me by name and face and they are always nice, and if I'm not sure of a machine or a workout routine they take the time to stop and help me out. I just love it and I bet soon you will too, cause I NEVER thought I woud like let alone learn to love going to the gym!

scared to walk in gym :mellow:

@Tinaree

good for you by walking and biking continually :)

those are both great exercises :)

walking into the gym for the first time in years can/is scary :wacko:

the good suggestion has been made to make an appt with a trainer/gym "person"

get instructions on how to use certain equipment et al :)

people are not looking at you!!! :angry:

open the door to the gym, you'll be glad you did :)

in the past i thought OMG - everyone is staring at this heavy person :(

but now, IF they are staring at me!!!

It's only cuz I am cute as a button!!! :lol:

33 lbs down!!!!

woo hoo!!!!

keep up the good work (i know you will :) )

kathy

congrats

Edited by proudgrammy

I'm dragging my butt to the gym tonight. Come on girl. And the thing is, my new gym is full of thin broads wearing ultra high tech lululemon moisture wicking yoga pants and fancy tank tops. But I don't care. I pay my $30 a month. I'm just as entitled to work out as those broads (and the dudebros as well). The reality is that people don't care what you are doing. They are too busy working on their own issues to really even make a snide comment. If anything, people are impressed when they see you on the treadmill sweating and taking ownership of your health.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH Forsythia!!!

You go girlfriend!

Unfortunately I have a problem with your comment as I'm now one of the thin broads. You know, the ones with a chest small enough that Victoria's Secret doesn't make bras in our sizes any more?

LOL ROFL

We'll I did it... I made the phone call and I'm getting set up with a personal trainer. Yay me! I'm going to suck it up and get in there and do it. Because I CAN do it. I was so proud of myself for just making the phone call that I walked four miles tonight. Thanks everyone! You guys rock!

Awesome sauce!! Lol. You will do great one you get into a routine!

There you go! You tell all those people you are going to be thin like them someday and you are working on it now!

We'll I did it... I made the phone call and I'm getting set up with a personal trainer. Yay me! I'm going to suck it up and get in there and do it. Because I CAN do it. I was so proud of myself for just making the phone call that I walked four miles tonight. Thanks everyone! You guys rock!

You are going to be so glad that you did. Especially over the summer when its too hot to go walking outside. Keep us informed on the progress you're making!

Don't be afraid I just started my cardio reg the first day I felt like I was going to die I came home and went to bed I was so exhausted and I started 20 min elip .

The second day was better a lot better .. But when I came home and ate something I felt like my blood surger spiked and all I had was a few bites of cottage cheese I had to just take a nap .. Never exp that ever. ..

But don't be afraid the fast you get in the better

I absolutely have the same fear too. I can no longer afford not to. I have bee putting it off for a few months but have to get with the program.

Don't be scared. I was in a LTR with a personal trainer for years and trust me on this, they are happy to see you coming.

Contrary to what the commercials for the gym that serves pizza and doesn't want anyone to break a sweat would have everyone believe, gyms are pretty supportive places. You have no idea what any of those people looked like the first day they set foot in a gym, only what they look like in the here and now. One day you will be someone elses here and now.

The hardest part about exercise is getting started. Once you get going, you will crave it. It's a really weird feeling, the first time you find yourself actually wanting to go to the gym and looking forward to working out. The first time you are in the shower and you are washing and you stop because you realize you just ran your hand over a real live muscle on your own body.

I let myself go so badly for so many years and I am really looking forward to getting back in the gym after my initial recovery.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH Forsythia!!!

You go girlfriend!

Unfortunately I have a problem with your comment as I'm now one of the thin broads. You know, the ones with a chest small enough that Victoria's Secret doesn't make bras in our sizes any more?

LOL ROFL

I'm envious of your moisture wicking lululemon yoga pants. :P~

Okay, as a former 300 pounder, weighing at 200 or so, I think you are closer to the "norm" at the gym then you think. You will NOT be the biggest woman there (I often was).

Be sure to choose an environment that feels safe and supportive to you. when I first started working out I started with Water aerobics at the YMCA, easy on the joints and very very supportive of the less fit. I progressed and moved into other things later.

Good luck and do NOT let your fear of judgement slow you down. This is your health at stake and you have just as much right to be there as ANYONE else! Most will admire you (if they even care - people are much more self centered then we imagine..haha)

Here's the event that forever made me lose my embarrassment of going to a locker room or gym.

About fifteen years ago I weighed probably 240 or so. My daughters were about 3 and 4 years old. My husband and I decided to take them to a new indoor Water park that opened in a nearby suburb.

It wasn't until I got to the locker room that I realized I had packed each of them a toddler towel (with the animal hoodie) but had forgotten to pack my own towel. We had to shower, Shampoo and change after swimming in the chlorine. Had I been alone I could have ducked into a bathroom stall to strip down and change, but I wasn't going to leave my kids alone in the locker room with strangers and they needed my help showering and dressing.

Their mini towels wouldn't cover even one of my legs. So, I sucked it up and walked bare-ass naked from the showers to the lockers with my freshly shampooed kids. They didn't notice, but boy did everyone else.

I felt the stares, especially from the younger people. As I glanced up and saw someone staring at my big old naked body, I just held their gaze until they looked away.

A couple of preteen girls snickered, but I acted like there was nothing unusual about showering and dressing my big body. I remember thinking that I did not want my girls to see me ashamed.

After that incident, I figured if I could walk naked towel-less in a locker room in front of complete strangers, I wasn't going to be fazed by going to a gym.

I did an Aqua Zumba class this spring with a pal and loved it.

I don't stay away from the gym because of embarrassment. I just hate exercise. Lol.

I wouldn't be caught dead in those things. LOL. Granted I have some stuff but my skin hangs and my legs and all bloated from malnutrition.

You go girlfriend!