Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How/Why did you choose Lap Band?

I am just starting this process, with my visit to the dietician next Friday 6/13/14. While at church on Sunday, I was talking to a friend who had bypass 4 years ago. I was telling her that I had decided to go with the Lap Band. She immediately began telling me that it was a bad choice. She was telling me that I was too big and that I wouldn't loose enough weight. I tried explaining to her that I wasn't looking for the quick fix. I am looking for a lifestyle change. She continued telling me about people she knew and their horror stories. I had to take some time to really think about what she said. Then I thought, to ask you all! Please help!!

A very close friend of mine did the lap band 6 years ago.. She just lost weight. It's really not worth it, why don't you go with the sleeve ? With the lap hand you gain the right too

I chose it because it made sense for the control I wanted to have. I like the idea that it can be adjusted through fills or removed all together. But, all Weight Loss Surgery has pros and cons. All methods have risks and rewards. All methods require work on your part to make weight loss happen. I had my Lap-Band done March 3, 2014. I love it and would do it again in a heartbeat. Find a surgeon you really trust and discuss the options. The important fact is that you are taking this step to a healthier life.

Good luck!

- K

Tammie30, did you have WLS? If yes, which one, why and how has it been for you. I really want to hear from all sides of this.

I had lap band surgery in Oct. I love it I have lost 107 lbs. I have a friend who over a year ago had the bypass & has lost 120 lbs. so I don't think it is much of a difference, she lost most of her weight right away then slowed down where I have steady lost weight (about 1-4 lbs a week) everybody is different but I am happy I choose the lap band I feel it has worked great for me, I think all of the WLS work if you are willing to do your part. I choose the lap band because I felt it had the least recovery time & I didn't like the idea of my stomach being cut. Good luck

@@josiek1988 I want to start by saying that you are not too big to have Lapband surgery if that is what you choose to do.

The Lapband is a tool like all WLS options and you can gain weight back with each modality if you are not ready to commit yourself 100% to making the lifestyle change required.

The reason that I chose to have Lapband surgery over the other surgical options is because I did not want to experience the malnutrition component that comes along with having your internal organs forever changed. The Lapband is adjustable to my life and my lifestyle and I love that about the Lapband.

You will not lose weight quickly with the band though some have, so I can not say that you won't. That however is yet another reason I choose the band. I watched friends lose 100 pounds in 6 months and they looked sick and scary. I have lost over 60 pounds in a year and I look healthy and vibrant and I feel awesome! My husband who was banded 3 days after me is the same. He just had hip replacement surgery 4 weeks ago and as he is recovering he looks and feels amazing. He is doing so much better then I believe he would be doing if he had another WLS that would prevent him from getting all the nutrition his body needs to heal and recover after the hip replacement.

We chose the band to fit our life, when we need to have it loose to recover from illness or surgery as my husband is now we are able to adjust it for that, you can not do that with the other surgeries. They are what they are and you must always be on supplements and Vitamins and watching what you eat. Now I won't say the Lapband does not have it's share of maintenance and of course you have to watch what you eat with the band as well, but you won't have issues like dumping which can make healing more difficult. You must comply with all the bands maintenance for fills and for un-fills. You must not over eat and stretch the stomach over the band to cause a slip or erosion and you need to keep in contact with your Dr. for constant follow up and support but I think that should be a mandatory thing for any surgical patient. Not just get surgery lose weight and go away, but that's another story all together.

I have a few friends who started where you are, and they are doing amazingly well...and there are some on the board who started at weights even higher and are totally AMAZING with their loss so never think you are too big for anything.

Do your research and make a choice that fits your life and your style that you can live with that's the key, then no matter what you choose you will be successful and happy!

Best of luck to you!!

Edited by lisacaron

@@lisacaron,

Thank you, that is just how I feel. I have been reading and researching for probably a year. I am not interested in the quick fix. I'm looking for a lifestyle change. I am happy to say that I have an amazing husband and the support of great friends. I am beyond ready for this next chapter and am thankful for this site. It is truly a blessing to be able to talk to people who have been there. Thanks again.

Tammie30, did you have WLS? If yes, which one, why and how has it been for you. I really want to hear from all sides of this.

Today is my final appt with my surgeon I'm going with sleeve because it's not so invasive like thr by pass and tht lap band just won't do justice for my goal. But from friends their outcomes have been outstanding and they look AMAZING !

For me I chose the lapbad because it's the least invasive, and only adjustable/removable surgery out there! You are NOT too big to lose the weight you need to with the band. Look at me, I was 289lbs on a 5' 1" frame and a year later I've lost more weight than I actually weigh, but you have to want it and be willing to commit 100%. If you work the band, the band will work for you, but then again so will the sleeve and by-pass. It's completely a personal decision. Like others have said you can gain the weight back with ANY WLS you chose to have, each are meant to be a tool, you have to do your part by making proper food choices, feeding your body with nutrition not junk and properly feeding your mind with motivation and positivity. Best of wishes on your decision!

Edited by enjoythetime

be ready for the lap-band haters to come chime in. my first surgeon, after a 12 month insurance process, refused to give me the lap-band, because i was 'too big'. 5 lbs over his lap-band limit. he said i wouldnt be successful. i left the office crying that day, thinking maybe he was right. i met with another surgeon in his office that afternoon and he assured me, i would be successful if i wanted to be. they're all just a tool. you might lose a ton of weight easily with the sleeve or bypass, but you still have to work to keep it off.

i know 3 different women, with 3 different surgeries. They ALL struggle to maintain the weight they kept off. I watch the woman with bypass eat candy, cake and Cookies and go up and down with her weight all the time. The woman with the sleeve, had awful hair loss, because she doesnt eat her Protein and Snacks on candy and chips all day. The woman with the lap-band goes out to eat for lunch at burger king every day and cant figure out why she cant keep the weight off. It just goes to show, no surgery is the end all be all to weight losss. You have to work for it.

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op with the band. I've lost 31 lbs since the pre-op diet and I'm down a size in my clothes. I already feel a lot better.

do your research and find the surgery YOU are most comfortable with. everyone can give you your success stories and horror stories they've heard from people, but at the end of the day, you have to make a decision you'll be happy with.

Congratulations on deciding to turn your life around! For me it was such a powerful thing to choose myself first and my healthy future -- that is the main thing, showing up for yourself in this way is quite amazing. Transformative! I feel like I pulled some kind of switch in my head -- not that I wasn't empowered before but I wasn't really going to bat for myself. I was seeing to every one else's needs first and kind of sinking under from that, using food as a crutch.

I chose the band for many of the same reasons stated by others. I never considered any other options as I didn't want part of my stomach cut out, etc. And the reversibility appeals to me, although I sure wouldn't want it taken out now! I love my band. But knowing that it can come out should it need to is reassuring to me. The number of office visits in the first year is a lot (11?) but that helps me stay accountable. I like it that there are medical professionals monitoring my labs and so forth and that there's extra help there if I need it.

Whatever you decide, know that you are deciding on yourself -- you are deciding on your happy, healthy life and that is a wonderful thing. Best wishes to you!

I started out at the same weight that you are. I chose the lap band because i felt it was the best option for me. Go with what you want. consult with your doctor and research all weight lose surgery options. I researched for months before i ultimately decided. Remember you have to live with this decision.

I went with lap band after 2 relatives did well on it. I researched it very well, knew what I was getting into, and liked it because it the least invasive and reversible. Once you have your insides removed theres no going back, so I didnt even consider other weight loss options, no way, no how ! I followed my Drs rules 95 % of the time, and have lost 65 of the 85 lbs I need lose. I am VERY happy and healthy ! An aquaintance who had gastric bypass talks about nothing else except what she cant eat, what problems shes having, wls problems she cant deal with, yada yada yada. Nonstop. Me ? No problems. Good luck !

I did my research for over a year and when I had my consult with the surgeon he actually wanted me to have bypass. I wanted lapband because I'm a single mom of a young child and I couldn't be out of commission as long as bypass would hv needed for me to heal. My surgeon told I would also be unsuccessful because he has seen it before and backed it with stats that people my size were 90% likely to fail with the band. I was so upset but ultimately it was decision and he did what I had asked for. When I saw him post up I kept telling him I would prove him wrong. Finally at my 1yr post op I had lost 84lbs and he said "well you proved me wrong" and we both had a laugh. He said I was doing better than some of his 1yr post op bypass patients and to keep doing it.

I work in healthcare and have seen so many patients who have had bypass have some serious issues due to the fact they didn't follow the plan after surgery. It's not a quick fix and the band is a great tool.

Tomorrow I'll be 12 weeks post op. I've lost 61 pounds. 27 before surgery date. I've had two fills and can feel my band working.

I went to Italy in May for two weeks and ate real food every day. I lost 0.2 of a pound on my trip.

If I get other unexpected medical problems in my future and I had to, I could remove my band.

I'm thrilled so far and I will be a success story. I will get down to my goal weight of 145. Read the stories of other banders who have achieved goal weight.

Most importantly, be sure you and your surgeon agree, or find a new surgeon. Mine asked me why at 302 I didn't want gastric bypass. I told him my reasons and so he supported my band decision. He also does tons of lap bands so I was confident in his skills.

Good luck and get informed. This site is a godsend.