Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the timeline for eating some of these typical foods?

Ok, I'm getting nervous reading these comments. I can have eggs now I'm only 5 days post op. But I'm reading some people couldn't have them til 6 weeks?! Wow , I hope I'm understanding my docs instructions correctly. Did anyone else have eggs 5 days post op? I can't be alone here- I hope

My Nut told me I could eat eggs and I'm only 2 weeks out. I don't like them but i could eat them now if I wanted.

Reading all posts that I can. Not scheduled until August. Wondering why baby food isn't considered during mushy phase?

Portion size seems good, pre made, and convenient.

I could have eggs at 3 weeks.... But they gave me such bad heartburn, but now at nearly 8 weeks out I may just try them again. Even tho they are soft, make sure you chew them well. I say give it a try, but listen to your tummy.

Reading all posts that I can. Not scheduled until August. Wondering why baby food isn't considered during mushy phase? Portion size seems good, pre made, and convenient.

My Dr recommended baby food meats during the mushy phase, however, with the amount you can eat, I just made/ put my meat in my mini chopper. I didn't care for baby food. I was on purred from weeks 3-5.

Reading all posts that I can. Not scheduled until August. Wondering why baby food isn't considered during mushy phase?

Portion size seems good, pre made, and convenient.

Some people eat baby food, but I found the idea repulsive. There are plenty of tasty alternatives out there, I promise.

Hi, I'm almost 3 weeks post op. Im eating mashed vegies and meat cut finely. Wheet bixs, pureed fruit and custard. At the end if 4 weeka my dietician has told me any food. She did say to tackle multigrain bread as it goes down better than white bread. Must admit I can't wait to have toast with vegemite!!

Hi, I'm almost 3 weeks post op. Im eating mashed vegies and meat cut finely. Wheet bixs, pureed fruit and custard. At the end if 4 weeka my dietician has told me any food. She did say to tackle multigrain bread as it goes down better than white bread. Must admit I can't wait to have toast with vegemite!!

Be careful with the bread! I know all plans are different, but I was told no bread for a year. Good luck!

I think my Dr and my NUT are strict when I read what everybody is allowed to eat on here.

They only give you a list of the foods they want you to eat which takes you to your next appt with them

I am 2 weeks post op and the list of allowed food covers me until 6 week appt

All food had to be pureed and you try one new food at a time, to see if you react to it or not-then it can be eliminated if you do react to it.

My Dr said after the 6 weeks food still has to be pureed for another 6 weeks but more food is allowed.

I am following it to the letter because I do not want to fail-I am nervous that if I don't follow the directions given to me that there is a chance my stomach won't heal as it should or I could expand my stomach.

I went to a support group meeting where the leader of the group said that she never ever eats any food which she ate to excess in her pre surgery life, because she cannot trust herself to fall back on old behaviors.

She has kept her weight off for 7 years, she looks super slim and you cannot imagine she was ever obese

I noticed a lot of the people who commented are freshly sleeved. I'm 19 months out- maintaining again after getting pregnant and having a baby 6 weeks ago.

There are two types of people: those that have to follow the total abstinence plan- if they take one bite of a not so healthy food it sends them straight down the rabbit hole and they continue to make those choices. So, those people can't do moderation.

Then there are people (I fall into this category) that had this surgery to eat like a normal human being. I have 4 kids- I have had a tiny piece of cake at their birthdays, I have eaten pizza, Mexican, bagels- etc etc. I have two girls and for me it was VERY important to be able to show them that being "healthy" isn't about depriving yourself. In my opinion- that was setting them up for failure in their own relationship with food. Being healthy is about realizing that bad foods are to be eaten in moderation (I'm talking rarely for the really bad ones). Eating 1 slice of pizza is not going to Sabotage my life because I will eat my one piece of thin crust and be happy and I won't eat it again for another month or two.

I eat Mexican food often- I can eat one street style taco this far out (even when I was pregnant and my sleeve let me eat more). Most of the time hubby and I split fajitas and I eat the beef on a small corn tortilla with sour cream, cheese, guac, and Beans. This was probably the first of your list of foods I tried (I'm from Texas- Mexican food is a staple here)

Lasagna- I tried Pasta for the first time maybe 4-5 months out. I still to this day can not eat much Pasta at all. I do however make lasagna often with zucchini slices instead of noodles.

Bagels- I eat Bagels probably once a week now- with peanut butter- when I was in weight loss not as often. I probably tried one for the first time 6 months out.

I can't remember what else was on your list specifically, but by 6 months I had tried almost everything again. My sleeve has no issues with certain foods- I just can't eat as much of certain things.

I'm also eating about 500calories more than normal currently because I am breastfeeding, so I can have a few more of the "bad" things on occasion :)

Im 6 weeks out and i usually eat

1/2 cup oatmeal with fresh blueberries or 1/2 cup egg whites with cheddar cheese and mushrooms.

1/2 cup of tuna made with FFmayo or sliced turkey with salsa

3 oz chicken, cod, shrimp, or ground turkey with some green beens, or broccol

I tried salad=ouch not again for a while.

I liked something I heard or reAd that we should chose 21 days out of the year to do as we choose. The rest we eat as nutritionally as we can. But I did this to get healthy, so I need to work the sleeve the best I can, while LIVING.

I noticed a lot of the people who commented are freshly sleeved. I'm 19 months out- maintaining again after getting pregnant and having a baby 6 weeks ago. There are two types of people: those that have to follow the total abstinence plan- if they take one bite of a not so healthy food it sends them straight down the rabbit hole and they continue to make those choices. So, those people can't do moderation. Then there are people (I fall into this category) that had this surgery to eat like a normal human being. I have 4 kids- I have had a tiny piece of cake at their birthdays, I have eaten pizza, Mexican, bagels- etc etc. I have two girls and for me it was VERY important to be able to show them that being "healthy" isn't about depriving yourself. In my opinion- that was setting them up for failure in their own relationship with food. Being healthy is about realizing that bad foods are to be eaten in moderation (I'm talking rarely for the really bad ones). Eating 1 slice of pizza is not going to Sabotage my life because I will eat my one piece of thin crust and be happy and I won't eat it again for another month or two. I eat Mexican food often- I can eat one street style taco this far out (even when I was pregnant and my sleeve let me eat more). Most of the time hubby and I split fajitas and I eat the beef on a small corn tortilla with sour cream, cheese, guac, and Beans. This was probably the first of your list of foods I tried (I'm from Texas- Mexican food is a staple here) Lasagna- I tried Pasta for the first time maybe 4-5 months out. I still to this day can not eat much pasta at all. I do however make lasagna often with zucchini slices instead of noodles. Bagels- I eat Bagels probably once a week now- with peanut butter- when I was in weight loss not as often. I probably tried one for the first time 6 months out. I can't remember what else was on your list specifically, but by 6 months I had tried almost everything again. My sleeve has no issues with certain foods- I just can't eat as much of certain things. I'm also eating about 500calories more than normal currently because I am breastfeeding, so I can have a few more of the "bad" things on occasion :)

You are fantastic!!!! 19 months out is different from people doing this at 3 to 6 weeks out.... Totally different story. Congrats on your bundle of joy and great mindset.

ok i hate to be the killjoy, but after i go through this surgery, there is NO WAY i am going back to what I was eating before surgery. Lets Face it, we the overweight or obese are just like junkies or alcoholics. Part of recovery is not going back to those things that got you there in the first place for a very very long time or even at all!

From every thing i have read, you are supposed to eat Protein first, then veggies and fruits, then if there is room carbs.

I get it that you will most likely have cravings but fight them! don't give in!

If you are not going to do what you know you are supposed to do, why did you have the surgery in the 1st place?

I am still a few weeks out and I have already started preparing myself for what is to come. Ive gotten rid of all the crap in my house, started drinking Protein shakes twice a day.

I made this decision and became informed. And although I may miss some foods, I will not cave into them, not this time!!!

That's fine if that's what you want but I don't agree with your thoughts. I had the surgery to get a second chance on training myself how to do things the right way "portion control". Sure, I have made some changes food wise but it may not be as easy as you think. I wish you well on your surgery and new way of eating.

Whether I should eat them or not, I'm curious about when you can have a few bites of some food you may want to try again, or are there things permanently off the list due to small tummy size? pizza bagel Mexican food: nachos, tacos, etc. pretzel salad corn on the cob avocado nuts lasagna Again, not the pre-surgery portion sizes, and maybe just a couple of bites, but I wonder when the stomach can handle some of these. Thanks!

Those things are permanently off the list. There is no nutritional value in corn, noodles, rice potatoes, chips, taco shells for our small tummies. Protein first. It has more seity and will stick with you. Avocado is really fattening and to be eat very sparingly. Lettuce in salad fills tummy but not with what it needs-protein!!!

tuna. Soft chicken (poach or boil, shred and mix with some kind of sauce) eggs Ham (grind in food processor or blender then add light mayo and greek yogurt to taste) Lynda

That sounds great Lynda! Thanks for the suggestions!!!