Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What size to sew?

I love to sew and I always sew for everyone else because I've felt so....(insert pejorative here). MI'm thinking that during my recovery from WLS I could pass some time making some beautiful clothes for myself. I've got patterns...I've got designer fabric....and I have no idea what size. So I thought I would ask the members here their experience with sizes. MI am 5' 10" and the last time I was not overweight at 170 pounds I wore a 12. That was a long time ago...in the meantime I've had twins (twins!) and I'm older and sizing has changed. I can make unstructured items in stretchy fabrics and I can alter if I need to...just trying to figure out a jumping off size. Any thoughts?

Well when did you have surgery? Did you have the sleeve? what size are you in now & how much have you lost so far? I am 5 mos out (sleeve) i have lost 77lbs went from a size 20W to now a 12 Surgery was in Dec - by Jan i was in a 16... by march i was in a 14... May a 12 - but everyone is different... maybe make a few things in a few different sizes

So sorry - I didn't mention that I am pre-op. Getting mentally ready and thinking about what motivates me... I'm considering sewing even before my WLS as a motivator and reward for taking this big step. I do .almost. Couture level sewing as a hobby so it would be a lot of work and I don't want to get the sizing too off. Normally one would make a muslin first to get the fit correct. Maybe I'll just make stretchy stuff!

that's really a hard one cause everyone loses different amounts I honestly would ask you doctor.

So my advice would be to start where you want to be. If what you are going to make is going to be your reward to yourself and your motivation to fit into it then make it the size you want to be.

Be realistic with yourself, only you know your body and your mind well enough to know if you will ever be a size 12 again, and what that size 12 will look like. One day I might wear I size 5 again but I know I will never be 16 or a virgin again who never had children, so my body is going to fit that size very differently.

Measure your maturity and make something that rocks and will inspire you to want to wear it for a BIG celebration!! As you lose the weight you can always make stretchy stuff, and different sizes but for that motivational piece go for the pièce de résistance and make it great!

Sew a few things in different sizes so you have something new to wear when you start to shrink. You will definitely need clothes during the "inbetween size" phases!

@ this is a really fabulous idea! We all need something for us that will motivate us to make it to the end. I will always tell anyone they can get as small as they want so long as their willing to work harder for it the smaller you get. My original goal size was to be an 8. I doubted myself all the time but I worked really hard toward my goal and YES I did make it!!! I also blew right past my goal all the way down to a size 4, and even some Zero's depending on who made them. It was awesome!

Don't doubt yourself! I would start with the 12's, I totally believe you can make that your goal. Then once you hit that goal and if you so choose to lose more then make yourself some smaller goal clothes.

Y'know I have been wondering the same thing myself. I love to sew, have my degree in design but have sworn off clothes because of my size. I have cast on for a sweater though in a medium since they take me a while to complete.

I plan to sew t shirts in several sizes to get my through my initial weight loss. I have a stack of jeans from the way up. Not sure I would start on a fully hand padded jacket though.

Thanks all for the great responses and encouragement! I'm thinking I will work on some unstructured and easy to alter size 12s. I've got some amazing Chanel and Missoni fabric that I just can't bring myself to make I a size 26! It will be so motivating to work with it in a small size...it is so beautiful...it even smells good.

@@Natasha - wow you have a degree in design. What fun it's going to be for you when you are in a size that you feel good about! I found myself talking to my young daughters today about style (at 7 years old my twin girls have very specific and wonderful style, it's amazing to me) and I haven't ever done that with them because I've felt so big and not stylish (although I have done my best not to become frumpy). It felt good to know that I'm not far away from being able to show them that too. Like you, I also won't start a Chanel-type jacket until I'm where I want to be size wise. I'm a bit of an odd bird...I love handwork.....I find it very relaxing and meditative. And I'm pretty sure I will need that post-op.

Again, thanks everyone for your insight and encouragement! This group rocks!

So sorry - I didn't mention that I am pre-op. Getting mentally ready and thinking about what motivates me... I'm considering sewing even before my WLS as a motivator and reward for taking this big step. I do .almost. Couture level sewing as a hobby so it would be a lot of work and I don't want to get the sizing too off. Normally one would make a muslin first to get the fit correct. Maybe I'll just make stretchy stuff!

You have so much to look forward to with a skill like that. I am 7mths out and have spent years having cloths made when I go to Asia to make sure I have cloths that fit. I have no idea what size I am I have lost 80lb and going back in 2 weeks to have cloths made again. I think stretchy is the way to go for the first few months because your shape will be changing daily. Maybe keep the really great fabric for a few special goal outfits at different sizes. Like when you get to a 16 have a beautiful outfit waiting and then as an extra celebration plan somewhere to wear it. I would LOVE to be able to sew beautiful things. Good Luck with your journey

I'd go for flowing fabric patterns that would be easy to take in. And stretchy waist bands! :)

Trouble is size 8 isnt always size 8. Why dont you use muslin scraps to make a dummy fit pattern.

It's true a the way to get a perfect fit is with a practice run in throw away fabric, a muslin. I'm considering sewing in advance of weight loss for a couple of reasons: motivation, relaxation, a strategy to keep from worrying/obsessing/(no idol hands, you know). It is risky in that I could get it wrong and have a beautiful garment I can't wear. On the other hand, I could give it away as a gift and that always fills my heart - so it's not like it would be terrible.

Much love to all my BP friends! Happy sewing or (whatever you do to relax)! Shellie

I love to sew and I always sew for everyone else because I've felt so....(insert pejorative here). MI'm thinking that during my recovery from WLS I could pass some time making some beautiful clothes for myself. I've got patterns...I've got designer fabric....and I have no idea what size. So I thought I would ask the members here their experience with sizes. MI am 5' 10" and the last time I was not overweight at 170 pounds I wore a 12. That was a long time ago...in the meantime I've had twins (twins!) and I'm older and sizing has changed. I can make unstructured items in stretchy fabrics and I can alter if I need to...just trying to figure out a jumping off size. Any thoughts?

How are you going did you decide on a size and have you taken any photo's of yourself in them ?